Getting New Fish

Author Topic: Getting new fish  (Read 6437 times) 22 replies

Offline Puffin

• Rocking Fishy Member
Getting new fish
« on: June 23, 2014, 11:10:57 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hello, not been on here much recently. Been enjoying my new fish!
Anyway, only about 50% stocked at the moment. The other specifies I want are neon green rasbora and a small Cory. I know the Cory need a mature tank (what is that in months??) the neon greens also seem to need a mature tank I seem to remember. Is this the same length of time, or are they talking about a cycled tank (I know fish shops don't tend to recognise the fish less cycle)
Anyone any idea how long I need to leave it before getting either of these?
Also I think there are two species of small Cory, dwarf, salt and pepper and Pygmy. They all seem to have similar requirements. Does anyone have experience of any of these?
Many thanks for reading.

Offline dbaggie

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Fishkeeping - trickier than it looks...
Re: Getting new fish
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 06:42:40 AM »
I know the Cory need a mature tank (what is that in months??) the neon greens also seem to need a mature tank I seem to remember. Is this the same length of time, or are they talking about a cycled tank (I know fish shops don't tend to recognise the fish less cycle)

Hi Puffin, no - a cycled tank is not the same as a mature tank. Cycling really just refers to the filter rather than the tank and once cycled the tank will still be immature. A tank which had been running 6 months (fish in) or thereabouts is generally considered to be mature.

This isn't set in stone in my opinion - you'll get a feel for when your tank has settled down and becomes very stable (e.g. good, consistent fish health, constant water parameters, no algal blooms etc) but generally avoid adding any fish which benefit from a mature tank very early on. I added peppered corys (not actually sure whether these are the same as the salt & pepper variety) and cardinal tetras at around 3-4 months and both groups have done really well.

Offline Puffin

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 07:32:31 AM »
Thanks dbaggie,
Yes I know it isn't the same, but I just wonder about the green neons, and if mature is what they mean!?
I think peppered  are different to salt and pepper but I am not 100% are yours very small? Ie about an inch? I think I've heard they are quite delicate and not so easy to keep, but I may be getting mixed up. So much info floating round in my brain!
Ok, I will bear in mind that I should be able to get a good feel for when it's mature. Nowhere near yet obviously!

Offline Puffin

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 07:40:51 AM »
So this is the piece of advice I'm referring to re the neon green rasbora:

"Since it naturally inhabits running water this species should never be added to a biologically immature set-up as it requires stable water conditions, and weekly water changes of 30-50 % aquarium volume should be considered mandatory."
From Seriously Fish.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 10:07:08 AM »
Cycling just grows the bacteria needed to get rid of the ammonia made by the fish and the nitrite made from that. But our tanks also need to grow maybe hundreds of other micro-organisms and we don't do anything specific to encourage those in the way we add ammonia in a fishless cycle. A tank is considered mature once these other micro-organisms have established themselves. We concentrate on the filter bacteria as the fish would die, or at least get sick, without them; most fish cope with limited numbers of the other micro-organisms for the few months it takes to grow them. Some fish do seem to need these other micro-organisms; neon tetras are the most often quoted example. But no-one knows exactly why.

I have neon green rasboras and mine are thriving. I had them just before I swapped tanks. I did have the water, decor and filter from the old tank but I used brand new sand and I lost the biofilm with it's micro-organisms on the glass walls of the old tank. A sort of half mature tank. I also do a 50 litre water change on 180 litres a week, which is 27%.
I did lose a couple when I bought them, but they were the ones that looked a bit iffy anyway. And one has even survived being sucked up during a water change, then jumping out of the net onto the floor when I fished it out  :-[

There are three dwarf cories. Pygmy (Corydoras pygmaeus) salt and pepper (C. habrosus) and C. hastatus. Peppered cories are C paleatus and are indeed bigger than salt & pepper cories.

Offline dbaggie

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Fishkeeping - trickier than it looks...
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2014, 06:18:45 PM »
Thanks dbaggie,
Yes I know it isn't the same, but I just wonder about the green neons, and if mature is what they mean!?

Ah, slightly misunderstood what you were asking! It does sound like it from the seriously fish excerpt you've provided - obviously Sue's response provides a lot more detail about the maturing of a tank  :)

There are three dwarf cories. Pygmy (Corydoras pygmaeus) salt and pepper (C. habrosus) and C. hastatus. Peppered cories are C paleatus and are indeed bigger than salt & pepper cories.

Didn't think they were the same but I haven't actually come across any dwarf Cory's in any of my LFS' - the Peppered variety still aren't huge, quite a bit smaller than other types such as Bronze Cory's in fact but definitely larger than 1 inch.

Offline Puffin

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 11:14:28 AM »
Thanks both.  I'll wait a few weeks anyway as I want to make sure there are no problems with the tank and fish as they are now. Think I need to get some floating plants next, to encourage a bit more swimming nearer the top of the tank.

Offline Puffin

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2014, 09:06:03 PM »
Decided to up the numbers of the species I already have, first before adding new species, and see my other thread for how that turned out for me!!
Anyway, while I was at the lfs, I saw they had Pygmy corys. Omg they are small!! About 1cm long, in the sale tank, and 2cm in a display tank. They seem to like swimming in the water column at least as much as sitting on the bottom. They are a really pretty little fish.
Anyone got any experience of keeping them?
Would the fact I have trouble keeping bits of the under substrate off the top of the sand substrate be a problem for them?
I'd almost made up my mind not to get Cory but a couple of rabbit snails, but the shop didn't gave them, and did gave corys.

Offline Sue

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2014, 09:05:14 AM »
I have pygmy cories. They are bigger than you saw, about 2.5cm. Yes they do swim in the water column more than some species but they also hide a lot, and I've read that from other people too. Make sure they have things to hide under. Though thinking about it, my ember tetras were never happy in the 50 litre tank either, they hid behind something all the time but since I moved them they are all over the place. Perhaps the tank gets too much movement past it with being in the kitchen and pygmy cories maybe don't like that.
I feed them sinking pellets rather than let them have left over flakes - though they will eat any flakes that make it to the bottom. They are not vegetarian; no cory species is. A popular misconception.
Not sure about the effect of the under substrate. Unless there is a lot of it and it's sharp, there shouldn't be a problem.

Offline Puffin

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2014, 11:28:50 AM »
Keen to get some Pygmy cory in a few weeks time, but would I be basically introducing another mid water species to my tank of mid water fish?
Any suggestions of fish that like the top of the tank?

In lfs today and noticed they had panda Cory in same tank as rabbit snails. Now I thought rabbit snails liked it hot whereas Cory's like it cooler, but couldn't have a sensible conversation with the assistant, it was pets at home, and the older guy with all the knowledge wasn't in.
All I got was "these are all tropical species, so they need a tropical tank" yes thanks for that!

Offline Sue

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2014, 02:52:07 PM »
Well. my pygmies don't swim that much mid water. To be honest, they don't swim much at all  :( They are in the 50 litre tank in the kitchen and this is the same tank that the ember tetras swam in the same cubic inch behind a piece of decor. I think it's the place I have the tank, too much passing traffic for the embers and cories liking  :( The Sundadanios are fine in there though.

I'm afraid I don't know anything about rabbit snails, so I've no idea what temps they like   :-[

Offline Rich_D

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2014, 01:16:29 PM »
Hi puffin, I don't know much about rabbit snails except from what I've read online but here's a website dedicated to them http://www.rabbitsnails.com/rabbitsnails-hou.html

Top water fish I have both danios ( a mixture of zebra, leopard and albino's) along with some one lined pencil fish both lovely fish and the pencil fish have become a favourite of mine as the hover and swim at a 45 degree angle' when they want to go somewhere fast they lower down to go horizontal and fire off like torpedoes! A lot of fun to watch.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Angelfish (6) - Red Tail Black Shark (1) - Assassin Snail (1) - Japonica Shrimp (1) - Ruby Barb (10) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (10) - Sparkling Gourami (15) - Golden Pencilfish (15) - Angelfish (7) - Japonica Shrimp (9) - Assassin Snail (5) - Panda Cory (8) - Golden Pencilfish (7) - Diamond Tetra (9) - Red Tail Black Shark (1) - Flame Tetra (2) - Bristlenose Plec (2) - Round Banded Barb (10) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline chris213

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • were going to need a bigger tank
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2014, 01:27:23 PM »
do your leopard and zebra danio's shoal together nicely ?

Offline Rich_D

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2014, 01:45:31 PM »
We'll if you count shoaling as burning around the top of the tank chasing each other through the bubble streams and the spray bar then yes  :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: I have 6 of them 2 of each but I think I'm going to increase it to 9 and get another 1 of each, they have always been a favourite of mine and I do get distracted by them whenever I go in to shops with them in display tanks where they have enough room to swim around properly.

Angelfish (6) - Red Tail Black Shark (1) - Assassin Snail (1) - Japonica Shrimp (1) - Ruby Barb (10) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (10) - Sparkling Gourami (15) - Golden Pencilfish (15) - Angelfish (7) - Japonica Shrimp (9) - Assassin Snail (5) - Panda Cory (8) - Golden Pencilfish (7) - Diamond Tetra (9) - Red Tail Black Shark (1) - Flame Tetra (2) - Bristlenose Plec (2) - Round Banded Barb (10) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2014, 02:22:01 PM »
Those two fish should be fine together as they are the same species  ;)

Offline chris213

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • were going to need a bigger tank
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2014, 03:58:19 PM »
i have been staring at both of them in the fish shops for the last 3 weeks unable to choose which one i liked better so been unable to buy i never gave it a thort to mix them to be honest , i was thinking of a fairly large size shoal so could mix them both and probably still  keep great numbers of both  ;) off to do some thinking  :fishy1:

Offline Rich_D

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2014, 04:44:04 PM »
They are the same fish tbh Chris, the leopards have been selectively bred to give that colour/form although there's not much info on the way it was done other than it was possibly done in Eastern Europe lol. You could have a good large shoal of them mixed as there's also a long finned version you can get but I haven't seen it as much.

Offline Puffin

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2014, 07:56:57 PM »
Think they are a bit fast swimming for my small tanks, sorry forgot to mention, is a 40cm cube.
Come to think of it, maybe top swimming fish are fast swimming fish, so I'm not going to find any suitable for my tank?

Offline ColinB

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2014, 07:59:56 AM »
Think they are a bit fast swimming for my small tanks, sorry forgot to mention, is a 40cm cube.
Come to think of it, maybe top swimming fish are fast swimming fish, so I'm not going to find any suitable for my tank?

Yep - any slow fish that swims at the surface is gonna get eaten. Not a good survival strategy!

The only surface fish that spring to mind are small, fast shoalers, and hatchet fish.... and they fly!

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline Puffin

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2014, 07:59:08 PM »
Makes sense, maybe if I get more floating plants the fish I've got will spend more time at the surface.

(Seriously, what's wrong with autocorrect!? Why would I want to say "makes sneeze" ?!?)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Getting new fish"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
Fat Fish

Started by Chucklett « 1 2 » Fish Health

34 Replies
Last post October 26, 2012, 06:56:08 PM
by Chucklett
15 Replies
Last post November 14, 2012, 06:38:36 PM
by Chucklett
10 Replies
Last post December 03, 2012, 07:05:39 PM
by Chucklett
8 Replies
Last post January 10, 2014, 10:45:54 PM
by SteveS
0 Replies
Last post February 25, 2014, 11:01:05 AM
by Robert
1 Replies
Last post July 21, 2023, 07:20:19 PM
by Hampalong
0 Replies
Last post April 16, 2024, 06:18:23 PM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: