Fish Jumping?

Author Topic: Fish jumping?  (Read 3090 times) 10 replies

Offline kittenbloodcoffee

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
Fish jumping?
« on: April 19, 2020, 12:26:21 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi, hope you all are well during these strange times.

Last night I was walking passed my tank and something wet hit my arm, I turn the light on and one of my ruby barbs is on the floor! I work quickly to gently scoop her up and put her back to where she belongs and all seemed well, but today she seems to be swimming at an angle?
Does anyone know if I could do anything for her? Or what you recommend to use as a jump guard?

Many thanks and stay safe,

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Fish jumping?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2020, 12:32:00 PM »
Is the tank open topped or did the barb manage to jump through a hole in the lid?

Keep an eye on the fish, she suffered a traumatic incident with hitting the floor. Keep the water nice and clean, maybe do a couple of extra water changes. Provided she did not suffer any internal damage from the fall should should be OK.
This happened to one of my cherry barbs many years ago, and I only found her about 10 minutes later. She was covered in fluff but I just put her back in the tank and let the fluff come off naturally. Her tail was dried up at the edges but it regrew and within a few days I could not tell which one it was.

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2020, 12:39:45 PM »
The water isn’t near the top but the store I got the tank from didn’t provide a lid so I’ve been keeping an eye out for a lid since getting it but I’ve had no luck finding a lid for the shape and size.

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2020, 12:46:12 PM »
I edited my post but had to go and sort something out in the kitchen in the middle and you had replied before I posted my edit.

There are a couple of things you could try.
Cover glasses - you would need a support round the edges of the tank for this.
A plastic lid of some sort. I have found that perspex warps, but double layered plastic greenhouse 'glass' is OK. Like this. You would need to measure the tank size obviously. It would either sit on top of the tank overhanging the sides (though condensation would probably run down the sides) or use something like this to support it.

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2020, 12:52:29 PM »
...and just to add that it's likely that the swimming at an angle is caused by damage to one of the fins and it not functioning properly (as opposed to damage to the swimbladder) - my experience is that this resolves sooner than anticipated (usually less than a week). The base of the fin or one of the other fins might go quite red for a few days as it works harder to compensate but optimum water quality ought to enable that to heal naturally.

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2020, 12:54:48 PM »
I see thank you so much for your help!  ;D

Offline Hampalong

• Global Moderator
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2020, 10:37:08 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Check your water. There’s usually a reason why fish jump out.

:)

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2020, 08:02:03 AM »
Agreed, though in this case it sounds like the fish may have been startled when kittenbloodcoffee walked past?

Offline LeakysLab

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
  • Simon
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2020, 03:55:18 PM »
It is possible that just walking past the tank can cause the fish to be skittish or jump. I have one particular Gourami who likes to take a dive into the internal filter box (As its completely open), I’ve just rescued him again and I’ve identified a few things that may be of some use to you @kittenbloodcoffee. Firstly I reduced my water level to perhaps a finger width from the top (helpfully marked by my filter as the minimum water level). I am short of cover from stem and floating plants and also hiding spots, I have a few but I think they are too big and can be made smaller, which means more can be added to the tank.

A Non fish related Explanation. My flat floor is made up of a concrete base, insulation and framing in the middle and topped with chip board. This is relevant to me as I think they are not supported enough or need replacing as the floor drops in certain place. Because of the weight of my stand and the tank, the fish are feeling the movement in the water as we walk past. I know this may only be relevant to me but could be helpful.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Pygmy Cory (6) - Sparkling Gourami (1) - Ember Tetra (10) - Marbled Hatchetfish (6) - Cardinal Tetra (12) - Sterbas Cory (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2020, 04:10:02 PM »
Very helpful advice / plausible potential explanation for kittenbloodcoffee (and anyone else reading this) - thanks, @LeakysLab  :cheers:

Offline Hampalong

• Global Moderator
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2020, 12:09:20 PM »
Vibration is very unsettling for fish. Some never get used to it...

Tags: Ruby barbs jumping 

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Fish jumping? "

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
0 Replies
Last post February 25, 2014, 11:01:05 AM
by Robert
10 Replies
Last post May 17, 2015, 03:18:59 PM
by Sanjo
7 Replies
Last post May 08, 2015, 08:33:20 PM
by Robert
2 Replies
Last post March 15, 2017, 10:49:42 AM
by MarquisMirage
6 Replies
Last post October 26, 2018, 08:48:34 AM
by Matt
4 Replies
Last post June 27, 2019, 01:16:48 PM
by Littlefish
3 Replies
Last post January 19, 2020, 09:00:37 PM
by Matt

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: