Dead Apple Tree Branch In The Tank

Author Topic: Dead Apple tree branch in the tank  (Read 9345 times) 5 replies

Offline Sanjo

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Dead Apple tree branch in the tank
« on: March 25, 2015, 08:56:05 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
My husband cut back some apple branches at the weekend and gave me some very dead bits. (He knows how to treat a girl)

Anyway, I took some of the smaller branches, boiled them in several changes of water for about 3 hours in total, and virtually no more brown coming out then stripped off the soggy bark and popped it into the oven that I was currently using to cook a roast (branch well covered nothing touched the it, no fat or anything) until they were bone dry and definitely not scorched.

They looked really good so I tied some together with a plastic tie and dumped them in a bucket of water overnight.
I redid the small tank yesterday, added new plants (again!. P@H is making a fortune out of me) and these bits of tied wood standing up.

They look so nice that I'm thinking of doing the same with one of the bigger branches to put in the 60cm that I shall soon start cycling.

Have I over egged the pudding so to speak. Did I go too mad.

Somebody told me that all I needed to do was dump the branch in my water butt for a week or so, a  quick rinse then put in the tank. With or without bark. Surely I would need to destroy anything nasty lurking in the wood  by doing like I did before. Boiling and baking?

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Dead Apple tree branch in the tank
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 09:29:44 PM »
I do know that the wood has to be thoroughly dead and with no bark before you can even think about putting it in a tank. And it mustn't exude sap or fungus of a toxic type - some wood do give rise to a poisonous fungus which is usually white fibres rather than the translucent white jelly like goo that some wood develops. And it needs to be soaked until it sinks. That took three weeks for my last piece of wood.

But I do know that some types of wood are not suitable for fish tanks. I'll do some digging around tomorrow and see what I can find.

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 09:37:41 PM »
Got me interested. I found this useful thread, worth a read: http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/uk-wood-in-aquariums.17399/

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Checkered Barb (3) - Endler's Livebearer (5) - Galaxy Rasbora (7) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sanjo

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 09:18:28 AM »
Aha...Thanks for that Cod, made interesting reading. So, apart from not soaking it long enough (isn't that just to stop it floating? Mine is anchored so not  problem).

I'll try and put a picture on if I can.

Thanks Sue for your offer to check it out - much appreciated as usual.

I could go down the bogwood route but I do like to play with stuff and achieve something for myself.

Offline Richard W

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 09:28:35 AM »
Apple is one of the best trees for safe aquarium wood.

I assume from what you have written that the wood was definitely dead when it was cut. The chance of anything harmful to fish being in the wood is zero, the boiling and soaking are mainly to make it absorb water and sink.

I'm a great believer in making use of what comes free rather than paying high prices for essentially the same thing.

Incidentally, hardly any of today's so-called bogwood has ever been anywhere near a bog, it's just various tropical woods that have been soaked to make them sink. British native broad-leaved trees are just as good and more environmentally friendly, no "wood miles" (like "food miles")

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2015, 12:37:17 PM »
The thread Cod found has much more info that the one I was thinking of. That just suggested oak and birch, and to avoid softwood trees. It also said about conifers having toxic resin. It also made the point about the wood being thoroughly dead with no hint of green.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Dead Apple tree branch in the tank"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
11 Replies
Last post October 23, 2014, 09:11:32 AM
by ColinB
2 Replies
Last post January 10, 2015, 10:51:04 AM
by Cod_only_knows
6 Replies
Last post July 05, 2015, 09:31:25 PM
by Cinders
3 Replies
Last post May 19, 2016, 10:47:16 AM
by Fiona
5 Replies
Last post June 27, 2019, 01:33:47 PM
by Matt
8 Replies
Last post July 20, 2020, 07:43:30 PM
by LeakysLab
2 Replies
Last post June 03, 2021, 03:36:13 PM
by Hampalong

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: