Angelfish Sitting At Bottom Of Tank

Author Topic: Angelfish sitting at bottom of tank  (Read 5372 times) 4 replies

Offline CardinalTetraphilia

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
Angelfish sitting at bottom of tank
« on: June 19, 2020, 05:54:32 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I have 6 angelfish who are sitting at the bottom of my tank right now. Not laying down on their sides just swimming really close to the gravel barely swimming around. They do not look sick or dying. However, I put medication in a few days ago for cotton wool fungus as some of my angels had this around their mouth. From what I can see it seems to be going away and I don't think this is what is affecting them. Because they are all grouped together at the bottom as if something has spooked them. They usually exhibit this kind of behaviour when I do water changes. But go about as normal after about 10 mins. I've tested the water and there seem to be no nitrates or nitrites and all the other water parameters are okay. The temperature is around 82 °F.  The only new thing is that I added a sponge filter to increase the aeration because I was scared the medication would make it harder for them to breathe. I now have both a U3 fluval filter and a sponge filter. I also changed the filter inserts a week ago and had a bit of cloudiness but that went away. I'm really not sure why they are acting like this they are usually much more active! Any suggestions?

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
Re: Angelfish sitting at bottom of tank
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2020, 07:03:18 PM »
Sorry to read about this.
I also changed the filter inserts a week ago and had a bit of cloudiness but that went away.
Almost certainly this is where the problem lies.  Think of the filter media (filter inserts) as the fishes' life-support machine; all the beneficial bacteria reside in these that process the fishes' waste, converting the toxic ammonia to less-toxic nitrates.  By changing the filter inserts, you'll have lost those beneficial bacteria and inadvertently started a fish-in cycle.  You don't mention an ammonia reading but it's very likely there is ammonia presence and this is what is causing the problem.
I would strongly advise (i) getting an ammonia test kit, so that you can measure ammonia/nitrite/nitrates daily or twice-daily for the next 6 weeks or so until the cycle is complete and (ii) doing water changes each day to keep ammonia and nitrite at 0 and nitrates no higher than 20 above your tap water nitrates level - the exact proportion requiring changed may be anything from as little as 10% once a day to a couple at 50% per day but dependent on your test results. If you can also get a bottle of Tetra Safe Start, then add it to the two filters - no guarantee it will work but it has the most likelihood of any beneficial bacteria products to help the fish-in cycle that you've found yourself in. NB. Do a water change this evening - don't wait for the test kit.
In future, no need to change these filter pads - just gently squeeze them in old tank water.

Separately, in order for medication to work, make sure any carbon is removed - carbon is only ever needed after medication to get rid of the remnants of it in tank water.

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2020, 08:19:53 PM »
Thank you @fcmf for your reply! I added that quickstart bacteria stuff into the filter and fish tank. Will that help with the new cycle ? I hadn't changed those filter inserts for about 6 months and I felt like it needed ? Am I really not supposed to change them ever ? Obviously before I'd be washing them in fishtank water and placing them back in. I will go and get a ammonia test kit tomorrow and do the water changes this evening. Also, which parts of the filter is the carbon ? Thank you so much !

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2020, 09:36:49 PM »
Great.

The API Quickstart might help but might not - definitely worth a try, though, as you already have it and given the circumstances. Some filter brands recommend changing the pads every so many months, although usually one at a time to avoid loss of beneficial bacteria. In reality, you don't need to change them at all, ever - unless they disintegrate completely which is unlikely. The carbon is usually black - from my recollection of the u2, there were two sponges and a thinner black carbon pad that went in between them, but I'll check the specifics of the u3 to see if it's the same...

Edited to add: Have just found this video https:///www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDjxwCTzvV4 and the bit you don't need (but can keep in a cupboard and use only for a week or so if you ever need to rid the tank of medication) is the bit referred to as the carbon pads at 03:10 and 03:55.

Best of luck - hope the angelfish start to recuperate soon!

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2020, 11:50:18 AM »
Thank you so much @fcmf for your advice!
Yeah, I hope so too. Thank you for being so helpful :)

Tags: #angelfish 

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Angelfish sitting at bottom of tank"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
18 Replies
Last post February 19, 2013, 09:26:43 AM
by ColinB
7 Replies
Last post March 07, 2014, 06:28:26 PM
by Sue
8 Replies
Last post October 11, 2015, 03:10:51 PM
by AdyDnt
27 Replies
Last post August 22, 2016, 10:11:02 PM
by Littlefish
16 Replies
Last post April 18, 2018, 01:41:06 PM
by Emmdee
62 Replies
Last post August 30, 2018, 08:00:12 PM
by Littlefish
16 Replies
Last post April 08, 2019, 08:09:30 PM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: