Test Kit

Author Topic: Test kit  (Read 2922 times) 17 replies

Offline Johno2009

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
Test kit
« on: September 09, 2020, 11:09:27 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
my tank is 3 weeks in to its cycling and my test kit I ordered got lost in transit so been using strips until it arrives.
I have decided to order one off Amazon now and have found two both same make but big price difference.
Can someone give any Intel on weather the dearer one is better as to me they both seem to do the same.
Pictures attached.
Thanks

Offline Johno2009

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
Re: Test kit
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2020, 11:10:43 PM »
Dearer one

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2020, 05:46:16 AM »
Not certain but I also think the contents of both is the same - the cheaper one is the one that is pictured on their website and so I’m guessing this is the more recent product variant. As such I’d go for this as the contents are likely to be have a longer use by date left on them

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • aka Donna
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2020, 05:46:44 AM »
I'm fairly certain that they are both the same as far as water testing are concerned.

I've checked on the API site and their current product list shows the test kit in the white box with the blue lid. My current test kit is this format.
Having a look on some other sites brings up the other format of kit, with the clear top and black base. These are listed at between £35 - £42.
I certainly remember using kits in this format in the past, and paying around £40 from MA.

Both kits are API mater test kits, but the cheaper one seems to be the updated/newer product.
This could be for a number of reasons, including the manufacturers changing to packaging that is significantly cheaper for them.
I'd also guess that they may have changed the amount of liquid reagent in each bottle, because now the packaging says the kit does 800 tests, whereas previous adverts said it did more than 800 tests.

Both kits are technically the same, just with cosmetic and price differences.

Offline Johno2009

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2020, 09:24:56 AM »
Cheaper one it is
Tbanks

Offline Sue

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2020, 09:55:07 AM »
Sellers often don't change their photo when a new design comes out. I've had this a few times on Ebay where they had a photo of the old design and when the product arrives it is the new design.

Offline Johno2009

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2020, 10:33:08 PM »
Did my first test with kit for:

PH                7.2 or 7.6
High PH      7.4 or below as it seems lighter
Amonia        0
Nitrite           .25

Not done nitrate yet as only 4 tubes

As tank is cycling is this a ok result ?

Offline Johno2009

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2020, 11:00:42 PM »
Nitrate test
Looks about    20ppm

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2020, 08:21:42 AM »
In order to help you figure out where you are in the cycling process, and to interpret these figures, it would be helpful to know:
* how you're cycling the tank.

If fishless cycling https://forums.thinkfish.co.uk/fishtank-filtration-and-cycling/fishless-cycling-how-to-do-it/:
* what source of ammonia you're using, when you started dosing it, and how often you're dosing it;
* what the results of your past tests were, and where in the process you dosed ammonia and how much.
(Just to clarify, simply running a filter in a tank of water is not cycling.)

If fish-in cycling https://forums.thinkfish.co.uk/fishtank-filtration-and-cycling/fish-in-cycling-with-fish-how-to-do-it/, which we wouldn't advocate but which many folk find themselves in the situation of, then:
* what the results of your past tests were.

Let us know the answers to these and we'll help further.

Offline Johno2009

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2020, 09:45:19 AM »
Hi thanks for reply.
I started tank setup 3 weeks ago firstly planting then after watching YouTube videos started cycling tank with fish. Did not know it could be done without them. A friend of mine gave me 5 small Guppies that he had in a separate tank that he was due to revamp. I will be giving them back when my tank is well established. I also have two nitrite snails.

Started to use strips to test water and did water changes twice a week around 50%.

Testing showed hardness around 7 to 10 and has stayed there.
PH started around 10 and started to go to down to 7.6 and 7.2 and is staying at that level.
Nitrate was around 10 to start went up to 50 and back to 25.
 Nitrite was 0 to start and went to .5 then 2 down to .5 peaked at 2.

Yesterday I did my 1st API liquid test before my water change scheduled today and results were.

Ammonia       0
Nitrite              .25
PH                   7.6
High PH          7.4
Niterate           20

The fish and snails are doing OK no signs of illness and feed ok.

Hope this answers all your questions

Offline Sue

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2020, 10:10:51 AM »
The two pH testers show that your pH is in the overlap between the two ranges. I usually call that 7.5.

Now that you have the kit, test every day for ammonia and nitrite. Whenever there is a reading above zero for ammonia and/or nitrite you need to do a water change. The plants will help; plants take up ammonia as fertiliser and they don't turn it into nitrite. If there are a lot of plants and they are growing well they can take up all the ammonia, but fewer plants can't manage everything.

Nitrate - there is probably nitrate in your tap water. If you test your tap water and subtract that from the tank reading, you'll know how much nitrate is being made in the tank.
The nitrate reading looks to be around 10 ppm which is good. We should aim to keep nitrate below 20 ppm. The easiest way to stop it going over 20 is to maintain the tank properly and not overfeed the fish. Proper maintenance is weekly water changes of over 50% to remove nitrate and cleaning the bottom of the tank and filter to remove uneaten food, fish poop etc. If you have readings for ammonia or nitrite you will need to do water changes more often, but make sure you clean the bottom of the tank at least once a week.

I need to ask, just in case - with the nitrate tester the instructions say to shake bottle #2 before using it, then shake the tube after adding the drops. Are you doing this shaking? It is actually best to tap the bottle on the worktop first, then shake it more than the instructions say because bottle #2 contains a reagent which settles out on the bottom of the bottle and the tapping and shaking is to get it back into the liquid.

Offline Johno2009

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2020, 10:42:45 AM »
Hi
Yes I shook the nitrate bottles for 30 seconds prior to adding to test tube the for 1 min in test tube then left for 5 mins before reading the test.

I do 50 water change at moment 2 or 3 times a week depending on my work schedule but no less than two.
Once a week I clean glass rinse fiter foam in old tank water and tri my best to clean bottom but thats proving difficult with plants and hardscape..

The subtrate I have is Tropica plant care on bottom for plant growth and Pro Scape Volcano Mineral on top.as per photo.
One thing with the volcano mineral will that be ok for small Corydoras as I have heard that it can damage the sensors on there mouth. Although Maidenhead Aquatics said whe I purchased it it is fine and they have lots of customers that use it with Corydoras Panda's etc. With no damage to the fish.

One thing I do find is thats really annoying is the very fine parts of flake I feed the fish are ignored and are in tank constantly like millions of bubbles and cloud water a bit. Is there anyway to eradicate this say with filter floss or something as it takes the clarity of water away.
Thanks for all your help

Offline Sue

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2020, 10:56:28 AM »
I have just added more sand to my tank which made the water pretty cloudy. I put an extra filter filled with filter wool in the tank and that cleared most of it by the following day; a new batch of filter wool got rid of the rest. So yes, if you can put filter wool in your filter, try it and see.

I always check when someone is new to liquid tester - you'd be surprised how many people don't read the nitrate instructions properly  ;)

Offline Hampalong

• Global Moderator
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2020, 11:07:59 AM »
That substrate looks quite rough which would be terrible for Corys. They really need fine sand.

Your test results showed a few seeming impossibilities/improbabilities, as is normal for test strips. Best not to trust any reading done with a test strip as they’re all unreliable.

Once the filter is cycled you won’t get any ammonia or nitrite readings (unless you’re overfeeding or overstocked), so the maintenance will be a bit less. You won’t need to clean the filter media so often. The filter will let you know how often it needs cleaned (you can let it go till the flow starts to reduce, although more often is better), and the nitrates will tell you how much water you need to change.

Offline Johno2009

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2020, 11:26:10 AM »
I thought that too. A friend of mine has a similar type of rock type substrate and has had Corys of all types with no ill effects.
Strange

Offline Sue

« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2020, 11:38:40 AM »
There are 2 aspects to substrates with cories.

Cories feed by taking mouthfuls of substrate, sifting it for food and expelling the substrate through their gills. If the particle size is too large they obviously cannot do this.
Rough substrates erode cories' barbels. This allows infections to enter and in really bad cases the fish's face becomes infected.

The ideal substrate for cories is sand.

Most shops will say anything to make a sale, and that includes Maidenhead Aquatics.

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2020, 01:36:05 PM »
I started tank setup 3 weeks ago firstly planting then after watching YouTube videos started cycling tank with fish. Did not know it could be done without them.
I would really encourage you to take a look back through your past threads as they're full of useful advice to remind yourself of - eg Matt had already mentioned fishless cycling with ammonia https://forums.thinkfish.co.uk/new-fishkeepers/stocking-my-tank-4072/msg50033/#msg50033 (although this may have been after you thought you'd finished cycling / had started the fish-in cycle), and there is lots of other useful information from others on all sorts of aspects. I appreciate it's a lot to take in at the time but another or regular read through them might be helpful to you, and, of course, we're more than happy to answer any queries you have and help you reach a decision on suitable stocking for your tank volume and dimensions (which are quite different to your friend's Flex 123L).

I agree with Hampalong about the unreliability of test strips - particularly for PH, GH and KH. I do think they're more accurate for nitrite and nitrates but there is a large gap between each level and so it's difficult to get a precise reading for them. Good choice of test kit now, though, so do use that to guide you through this precarious cycling stage.

Best of luck, and keep us posted on progress or fire away with any questions.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2020, 05:04:44 AM »
Regarding the volcano mineral - I have a mix of this and sand in my tank - and corys - I would definately encourage you to comsider doing this. I realise you have invested in the volcano mineral now and so may not want to turn your back on it so soon. In my tank the planting areas contain the volcano mineral and the non planted areas have sand - it seems to work ok for the corys but I would not want 100% volcano mineral due to their sensitive barbells - also you will miss out on their sand shuffling feeding habits which are lovely. Good choices in substrate for good plant growth though which I applaud!

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Test kit"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
3 Replies
Last post September 07, 2013, 06:43:04 PM
by Naomi12345
10 Replies
Last post November 22, 2017, 09:01:50 AM
by Sue
10 Replies
Last post January 13, 2017, 07:26:29 PM
by Andys101
4 Replies
Last post February 25, 2017, 11:32:20 PM
by Andy The Minion
5 Replies
Last post June 29, 2020, 09:48:39 PM
by barneyadi
24 Replies
Last post May 14, 2021, 03:09:17 PM
by barneyadi
13 Replies
Last post January 02, 2023, 06:56:19 PM
by Nan

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: