Re: Sue's fishless cycle
« Reply #160 on: April 26, 2013, 08:48:24 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Day 47 continued

12 hour results
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0.25
pH 7.2

There is no bicarb in the water at the moment, so pH 7.2 is about right. I'm checking it twice a day to make sure there's no crash.

Plan for tomorrow:
MA at garden centre #1 (3 miles)
If they don't have what I want, a shop about 6 miles away.
If they don't, either Sat afternoon or Sun morning, another MA at garden centre #2 (10 miles away).
If they don't have any, keep feeding ammonia to the tank till I finally find somewhere that has a fish I like.

Offline Resa

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #161 on: April 27, 2013, 08:11:02 AM »
Good luck on your mission Sue!  He's out there somewhere ;D ;D ;D

Resa
  :)

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #162 on: April 27, 2013, 09:26:06 AM »
Day 47
24 hours:
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
pH 7.2

So MA 1, shop 1, Sainsburys and Aldi this morning; MA 2 (the garden centre is where my husband wants his lawn feed from) this afternoon/tomorrow. I haven't added any ammonia this morning. Depending what I see I may not need to add any. If w go to MA 2 tomorrow, I'll add some as soon as we get back.

Offline jesnon

« Reply #163 on: April 27, 2013, 09:26:57 AM »
Good luck betta hunting Sue! Hope you find one that takes your fancy :-)

Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #164 on: April 27, 2013, 12:48:09 PM »
At the first shop.........

Offline jesnon

« Reply #165 on: April 27, 2013, 02:05:47 PM »
Lovely fish Sue - looks like luck was on your side today! I'm assuming by the name that he is called Marble? Hope to see more photos soon :-)

Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -

Offline Resa

« Reply #166 on: April 27, 2013, 02:16:06 PM »
Oh..he's pretty.  I'm not knocking his masculinity in any way, but his fins remind me of one of Ginger Rogers dance frocks. :D
I thought you liked the short finned ones?

I wish you many happy betta days together :)

Resa
  :)

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -

Offline Sue

« Reply #167 on: April 27, 2013, 02:25:29 PM »
Marble's not so much his name as his colouring type. I tend not to name my bettas. Each one gets called "the new betta" for a few days, then it gets shortened to "the betta". Or sometimes Mr Fish.
I have folders with pics of each different betta, and the folder name is the type of betta. The last one's folder was 'blue plakat', the one before was 'dragon'. The new one's folder is called 'marble' so the pics are named marble 1 and marble 2 for now.

He is a marble, which means he has blotches of different colours. With this colour type, the patterning and even colour changes as the fish matures and then ages, so it will be interesting to see how my new fish alters over time. As you can see in the pics, he currently has a red head and pale blue/white everywhere else. He was in the section labelled as half moon bettas, but he isn't a half moon. I think he's probably a delta tail, I'll wait a few days for him to settle then see if I can get him to flare (using a mirror) which will show what his tail type actually is.
He's now out of the bag and exploring  ;D

I got him from the Maidenhead Aquatics about 3 miles away, a shop I don't usually visit. Two reasons - it's smaller than the one 10 miles away, and until a couple of years ago it was not an MA. There was a fish department in the garden centre, run by them, and it had a bad reputation. The garden centre has since changed hands and the fish dept is now an MA but I still can't bring myself to get fish from there after a few bad experiences under the previous owners. But this fish is in a tank on his own so he won't kill any other fish. (I once bought some dwarf pencilfish from there and put them in with my pure bred endlers. Within 48 hours all the pencilfish and all the adult endlers were dead. Only the fry survived. On another occasion, the new fish brought in a resistant strain of whitespot that took 3 courses of treatment to eradicate).

Resa - yes, I do prefer plakats, the problem is finding any  :-\

Offline ColinB

« Reply #168 on: April 27, 2013, 03:47:25 PM »
Good lookin' fish - I'm realy pleased you found one so soon after all the trouble you went to in doing a fishless cycle without 'cheating'.

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline Sue

« Reply #169 on: April 27, 2013, 05:19:08 PM »
I have just found a thread on another forum about someone cycling a 30 litre tank for a betta. She was querying which is correct for a betta, 4ppm ammonia cleared to double zeros in 12 hours, or 2ppm cleared in 24 hours - she had read both were true.
Various replies, most saying that for just a betta 2ppm in 24 hours was fine because of the low bioload with just the one fish. So it looks as though I should be OK as that's what my cycle has been doing.

I'll still be checking both ammonia and nitrite for several days yet.

I got my husband to come and look at the bettas and he agreed the marble was the best one there out of 3/4 plain red or plain blue veiltails, and two red crowntails, one of which looked like it had finrot (or possibly was a tailbiter). They were in those small tanks, but there were 4 rows of tanks each filtered on a central system. There were bars above each row trickling water into the tanks and a hole near the top at the back where the water flowed out and down through a mesh. I presume this water then flowed through a filter of some sort then was pumped back up through the tubes. Not perfect, but better than those stagnant tanks with no filtration at all.

Offline Sue

« Reply #170 on: April 29, 2013, 07:32:33 PM »
Tested Saturday evening, twice on Sunday and this morning so far. Ammonia and nitrite were zero every time. I'll test tonight and tomorrow just to be safe, then stop.

Oh, and he is a delta tail. The edges of his tail are straight so not a veiltail or round tail, and they are just a tad over 90o apart, so definitely not a halfmoon as the sign said (180o apart) or even a superdelta (120 to 160o apart).
We did go to the other garden centre with a Maidenhead Aquatics on Sunday to get the lawn feed, and they just had 1 red veitail and half a dozen plain grey-blue veiltails, so I was lucky to find this one.

Offline jesnon

« Reply #171 on: April 29, 2013, 08:07:47 PM »
As an aside how often should I be testing my water now? Also more pictures of him please!

Offline Sue

« Reply #172 on: April 29, 2013, 08:20:45 PM »
Once a tank has been cycled and has been running trouble free, you only need to test if you do something to the tank (more fish, change the substrate etc) or if the fish start behaving differently. If it helps you feel better, then checking once a month is fine.

I'm having to wait a while for pics. As soon as I let him out of the bag he was off exploring. The only time he stops moving is when I lift the lid to drop some food in, and then he waits just under the surface ready to catch his pellets. Hopefully he'll soon realise exactly the perimeter of his new territory and realise there are no other male bettas waiting just out of sight so he doesn't need to patrol quite so vigilantly. That's why the first pics of him were in the bag, I knew from experience what would happen   ;D

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Sue's fishless cycle"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
1 Replies
Last post September 26, 2016, 12:28:04 PM
by Paddyc
63 Replies
Last post March 22, 2017, 12:04:28 PM
by sjames
18 Replies
Last post September 06, 2017, 07:13:55 PM
by Dr Um
12 Replies
Last post September 06, 2017, 01:22:34 PM
by Dr Um
70 Replies
Last post September 11, 2018, 10:49:54 AM
by Sue
119 Replies
Last post November 10, 2018, 07:46:58 PM
by Littlefish
5 Replies
Last post April 04, 2021, 08:49:43 AM
by Matt

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: