Still Stuck, Stuck, Stuck, Stuck..........

Author Topic: Still stuck, stuck, stuck, stuck..........  (Read 31746 times) 154 replies

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Still stuck, stuck, stuck, stuck..........
« Reply #80 on: October 14, 2014, 11:56:38 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Can I get things straight in my mind.

Was the ammonia reading higher than over 1.0 but less than 2.0 after you added the last dose? In other words, has it dropped to 1 or 2 from some higher level?

After you add ammonia, do you see a reading for nitrite at all?

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #81 on: October 14, 2014, 12:08:02 PM »
Hi Sue,
Day 33 reading was Ammo 0.50 Nitrite 0.50  Dosed up to 2.00ppm
Day 34   Ammo was hard to read i thought 0.50 - 1ppm (probably more like 1) Nitrite was still 0.50
Day 35  Ammo was 1.00 Nitrite 0.25
Day 37 Today Ammo still 1 and Nitrite 0

Offline Sue

« Reply #82 on: October 14, 2014, 12:19:37 PM »
So your ammonia did drop a bit over 4 days but you didn't see a rise in nitrite. It could be that you do have a few ammonia eaters but for some reason they are not multiplying, and that you have enough nitrite eaters to keep up with the nitrite being made. But that doesn't explain where the nitrite is going if your nitrate is zero. Though nitrate testers are not terribly accurate.

Hmmmmmm.

How do you feel about adding a bit more ammonia, then test both ammonia and nitrite half an hour later. Then test them both at 12 hourly intervals so we can get a feel for what is going on. The problem with testing every 2 days is that you can miss something.
I quite understand if you are reluctant to put more ammonia in there, I think I would be  :-\

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #83 on: October 14, 2014, 12:31:19 PM »
What ppm of ammonia should i put in 2.00?  might as well, i always have green test result anyway

Offline Sue

« Reply #84 on: October 14, 2014, 12:42:47 PM »
Yes, try 2ppm.
Testing after half an hour allows it to mix in and doesn't allow enough time for anything to have dropped to any degree. Then 12 hour tests will show if any nitrite is made and drops. Test more often if you feel like it  :)

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #85 on: October 14, 2014, 01:46:10 PM »
RIGHT! put dollop of ammonia in, lost track of ammounts so it's now reading a good 4.00ppm so that should be easy to track and i don't want to put any more in till it's at least 0.25 ppm or 0, if i don't have to? so i will update you tomorrow, and be interested to see if it goes down at all. P S my plants are not thanking you for this lol  :(

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #86 on: October 14, 2014, 03:10:55 PM »
You need 2 consecutive tests with zero ammonia

Offline Sue

« Reply #87 on: October 14, 2014, 03:18:28 PM »
Just a thought, Aquamaid - are you giving the nitrate tester bottle 2 a really good shake? People do get false results if it's not shaken enough.

Trying to think of reasons your nitrite goes down but your nitrate doesn't go up.....

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #88 on: October 14, 2014, 03:54:04 PM »
Nitrite and Ammonia had remained at about 2.00 throughout untill day 28 when i did an 80% water change to try and alter reading since then Nitrite has continued to fall from 0.50 to 0 ppm OOOH! just read NITRATE? i haven't been testing for Nitrate, only the once on Day 27 when it was 4.00 ppm?

Offline Puffin

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #89 on: October 14, 2014, 04:13:23 PM »
Aquamaid, I thought your day 28 nitrate reading was 40? 4 doesn't sound like a reading you get on the API test kits.

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #90 on: October 14, 2014, 06:02:32 PM »
Sorry guys, getting too much help now, and getting confused, have only ever taken one nitrate reading, and that was way back on Day 28 so i forgot it was a 40 reading not a 4, is that going to help matters? i doubt it I am using API liquid test kit, i shake it very well i struggle to read the green reading of Ammonia but i do know it is hardly ever yellow, usually very green, if on the rare occasion it does go a bit yellow, I am told to make it more green again, then wait till i get two readings of 0 but then told to add more Ammonia so forgive me if i don't know what im doing. :o >:( :'(

Offline Puffin

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #91 on: October 14, 2014, 07:20:12 PM »
Hi Hun, I know you are getting frustrated, but I think you are getting somewhere! Have you read up on fish less cycling? Do you know why you are adding the ammonia?
It's basically keeping the good bacteria in your filter fed until your cycle is finished, so you don't want it to be zero for an extended period, but you do want to know your bacteria are capable of taking it down to zero. So we want to see a zero, but not to keep it at zero... Does that make sense?
Cos the aim is not just to achieve a zero on ammonia, but also on nitrite.
Anyway it's explained a lot better on the numerous explanations of fish less cycling online.
I've said it before, but it think it would help you see what's happening g if you also do the occasional nitrate test too. As nitrate is the end product of the cycle, so as you see it increasing you know something is happening.

Offline Sue

« Reply #92 on: October 14, 2014, 07:23:44 PM »
OK, can you include nitrate next time you test and also a tap water nitrate. You need to subtract the tap level from the tank level to see if the tank level has gone up compared to the tap water you filled the tank with. And be careful with the readings - the nitrate card goes up in big steps, that's why Puffin queried the 4.0. The chart goes from zero to 5, then 10 then 20 and so on.

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #93 on: October 14, 2014, 08:39:12 PM »
Thank you guys, on Oct 8th Day 31 i took sample of tank water to local Maidenhead Aquatics, the guy there gave me readings of Ammonia = 0.50   Nitrite = 0.50 and Nitrate = 20 - 40. I will re read everything tomorrow including tap water and post results.
I am under the impression i am waiting to see how long it takes the bacteria to get the readings down to 0 then feed em more and see how long that takes to get to 0 again, what i dont understand is why when i get to 1 or 0.50 ppm i have to stick more Ammonia in, that isn't 0 lol so no i don't really understand  ???

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #94 on: October 15, 2014, 10:31:49 AM »
Ok guys Update, ive been to Maidenhead Aquatics and they have done liquid test for me to compare with my readings of today (and want to say how helpful he was and didn't make me feel an idiot for using this method)

Their readings are  Ammonia = 0.5 -1 ppm     Nitrite = 0 ppm    Nitrate = 0 ppm

My readings this morning were, Ammonia = 1.00   Nitrite = 0   BUT!   i got Nitrate to 20 -40 it was a strong orange colour, both for tank and tap water. Ive asked if i can take my Nitrate test in and he will use it and see if it's faulty.
So i wasn't far out with Ammo and Nitrite reading, what now?

Offline Sue

« Reply #95 on: October 15, 2014, 03:33:44 PM »
I don't like their reading of zero for nitrate. It is very rare to have zero nitrate in tapwater in the UK - your tapwater reading is the lowest your tank should be unless you have so many plants they are using it all - but in that case your ammonia should be zero as well as plants prefer that as food over nitrate. Plants don't use nitrite though.

The theory of fishless cycling is:
You add ammonia and wait for enough ammonia eaters to grow to use the ammonia and turn it into nitrite. Once they start growing, the ammonia level drops and the nitrite reading goes up. Then you have to wait for the nitrite eaters to grow. This takes longer than the ammonia eaters did. The old method of fishless cycling said that every time the ammonia level dropped, you added more to feed the ammonia eaters (everyone used to believe they starved if not fed every 24 hours) but this caused the nitrite level to get so high the cycle stalled because the nitrite eaters won't grow at high nitrite levels - once the tank is cycled and has fish there will only ever be trace amounts of nitrite as the bacteria will eat it as fast as it's made.
We now know that the ammonia eaters won't starve if they aren't fed every 24 hours but we still do need to give them some food. The new method is designed to keep the amount of added ammonia to a minimum to stop the nitrite level ever getting high enough to stall the cycle. So we add a dose of ammonia at the start and wait till the ammonia level drops low then a second dose. After that, we wait till ammonia drops to zero with a nitrite of over 1 and add a smaller dose. And keep on doing this, adding a small dose every 4th day until the nitrite reading drops below 1, together with an ammonia reading below 0.25. Once this stage has been reached, a third large dose of ammonia is added and hopefully both readings are zero after 24 hours.

Your problem seems to be that your ammonia doesn't drop below 1 though you have zero for nitrite. The question is, is your nitrite zero because you have as many nitrite eaters as necessary to eat all the ammonia your few ammonia eaters are making, or is it zero because the ammonia eaters aren't doing anything and not making any nitrite.
If you add enough ammonia to get the level to 3ppm then monitor both ammonia and nitrite every 12 hours, this should show a few things.
If the ammonia does drop, we know you have some ammonia eaters.
If the ammonia level drops, you see a blip in nitrite and then that too drops, we know you have some nitrite eaters.
If your ammonia never drops below 0.5 to 1 but your nitrite drops to zero, there is something odd going on. I know that so many people say they have never seen a zero colour for ammonia even with tanks that have been running for years, but it is usually the 0.25 colour they see. Is it just that you are seeing an extreme version of this?

Could you do a couple more tests, please? Test both your tap water and your tank water for nitrAte; do it at the same time so you can compare the colours of the two tubes to each other rather than the test card. Are they the same colour or is one a more reddish orange than the other?
If the tank is redder that the tap test, you are making nitrate. If they are the same, you are not making nitrate. If the tap colour is darker, you are not making nitrate and the plants are using some nitrate that got into the tank when you first filled it up.

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #96 on: October 15, 2014, 04:25:09 PM »
Hi Sue, i will test again, but i did do tap and tank Nitrate tests yesterday at same time, my reading was totally different to Aquatic shop, i got orange red 20-40 ppm so is it reliable? hense me taking my tester into shop for him to use. should it be straight from tap or left to stand? Can't test every 12 hours i'm in bed and it's too dark to read test  :rotfl: so every 24 maybe. Oh he also did a Ph reading, i originally got 7.6 and high rate 7.4 but he has read it as hi rate 8.2

Just tested Nitrate again i still read 20 ppm for both tap and tank, both identical strong orange red.
Why isn't mine following pattern, if it was just slow this wouldn't be so bad, i just don't know where i am neither do you. Im going to type up my tank log so far, see if anyone sees a pattern emerging  :'( 

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #97 on: October 15, 2014, 05:18:36 PM »
Day 1 Ammo = 0.25 Nitrite =0 
Day 2 Dosed tank with Ammo up to 3ppm
Day 5 Ammo = 1.00  Nitrite = 0.50
Day 8 Ammo = 0.50 Nitrite = 2.00  added Ammonia up to 3 ppm
Day 10 - 17   Ammo = 2.00 Nit = 2.00
DAY 17 did 25% water change   
Day 17 - 20  Ammo = 1.00 Nit = 2.00
Day 20 did 50% water change Ammo = 0.50 Nit = 2.00 added Ammonia up to 3.ppm
Day 22 -26 Ammo = 2.00 Nitrate didn't test. Added 9ml of Waterlife Bacterlife
Day 27 Ammo = 2.00 Nitrite 2-6 ppm did 50% water change
Day 29 Ammo = 1.00  Nit =  2.00 Added old filter sponge from recently cycled tank and Bacterlife
Day 31 -33 Ammo = 0.50  Nit = 2-5 ppm Added Ammo up to 2.0ppm

Day 34 Ammo = 0.50-1   Nit = 0.50
Day 35 Ammo = 1.00      Nit = 0.25
Day 37 Ammo = 1-2       Nit = 0         (first 0) Added Ammo up to 4 ppm
Day 38 Ammo = 1          Nit = 0       
Day 39 Ammo = 0.50-1  Nit = 0         Added Ammo up to 2.00 ppm
Day 40 Ammo = 2.00     Nit = 0
Day 41 Ammo = 1.00     Nit = 0

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #98 on: October 15, 2014, 06:25:50 PM »
AquaMaid can you do nitrate every 48hrs too please, it would be very helpful and should slowly increase as the nitrite bugglies do their job, it'll give us a clearer picture of your filter bacteria if you do. Ta.

You've obviously got the ammonia eating bacteria and zero nitites means you have the nitrite consuming bacteria too.

So next test would be day 40. Ok?

ps: dont forget to shake bottle 2 like a loon and the test tube, if you dont you'll end up with a zero reading for nitrate (I did this until Sue gave me a gentle prod  ;) )

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #99 on: October 15, 2014, 06:31:02 PM »
Hi Fiona, i'm getting high Nitrate readings 20- 40 it's Maidenhead Aquatics saying it is actually 0 ?

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Still stuck, stuck, stuck, stuck.........."

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
6 Replies
Last post March 19, 2013, 07:51:23 AM
by ColinB
9 Replies
Last post June 28, 2013, 01:49:17 PM
by jesnon
11 Replies
Last post September 07, 2013, 04:52:11 PM
by jesnon
3 Replies
Last post September 14, 2013, 10:23:46 AM
by Sue
21 Replies
Last post May 20, 2016, 08:16:01 PM
by mazzamoo
2 Replies
Last post June 06, 2016, 02:35:36 PM
by rosaleen
11 Replies
Last post June 05, 2017, 07:52:58 PM
by Littlefish

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: