Still Stuck, Stuck, Stuck, Stuck..........

Author Topic: Still stuck, stuck, stuck, stuck..........  (Read 31752 times) 154 replies

Offline jesnon

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Still stuck, stuck, stuck, stuck..........
« Reply #60 on: October 09, 2014, 06:02:32 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi AM. I'm sorry to see you're still having problems with your cycle. I remember mine was an absolute nightmare and my boyfriend was threatening to pull the plug on the whole idea!! My nitrite was the stage I got stuck at... but trust me, when it turns that magical blue colour ha, you'll be very happy! Now you've added some sponge from another tank that will help you out and things should speed up. Still, it took around two weeks I think when I cycled the tank at work using some filter from my tank, so these things are never set it stone!

Stick with it - you'll get there in the end!!

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #61 on: October 09, 2014, 06:08:26 PM »
Thanks Jesnon, i'm trying to stay positive but the jokes of "just stick a bl...y fish in it" are wearing a bit thin, and im obsessed with the damn thing, "my heads a fish tank" lol ah well, test tomorrow and maybe top up Ammonia to 2 ppm and then have another week of hell i guess  ::)

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #62 on: October 09, 2014, 11:34:07 PM »
Aquamaid there's no point testing unless you're actively doing something to continue the cycling, you'll just end up very frustrated. Sue has suggested adding ammonia and believe me this lady really does know what she's talking about.

DO IT woman  :) Those bacteria need feeding

and test in 2 days. You're at stage 8 now so we know where you  are

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #63 on: October 10, 2014, 09:10:10 AM »
Okey dokey, will do so now  ::) lol

OK guys, tested this morning and tank Ammo was still 0.50 ppm iv'e dosed with Ammonia and tested after half an hour and it looks like 2.0ppm to me so i will report back Sunday with Ammo and Nitrite results, (anyone one like to bet it's same as today)  :( Oh and by my estimation i have been at stage 8 since day nine and it's now day thirty four  :yikes: Fingers crossed for me.

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #64 on: October 11, 2014, 12:48:07 PM »
Ooh Ooh! :yikes: Yesterday i added Ammonia to 2.00 ppm  Nitrite was 0.50 ppm 24 hrs on Nitrite is still 0.50 BUT! Ammonia deffo lighter colour i'd say 0.50 - 1.00 ppm. What now guys? ???

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #65 on: October 11, 2014, 02:27:30 PM »
Excellent news AM  :cheers: You're on stage 8

Now you need to test it again tomorrow and then every 2 days and do nothing else until you get 2 consecutive tests where ammonia is zero and then add one third of the original dose of ammonia.

So now we just have to wait

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #66 on: October 12, 2014, 12:25:25 PM »
Day 35, and how soon would you expect the Ammonia to be dropping, cos today it looks the same if not a bit greener more like 1.00 - 2.00 ppm Nitrite has dropped to 0.25 ppm  ???

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #67 on: October 12, 2014, 02:25:06 PM »
If your nitrite has dropped, I think the best thing to do is add another 3ppm dose of ammonia. Rather than rely of the after-dose reading, add the volume of ammonia that you know has given 3ppm in the past. The see what the reading are tomorrow.

With your cycle, I've thrown away the rule book  :-\

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #68 on: October 12, 2014, 02:36:05 PM »
 :yikes: Oh heck, but i only ever seem to have a tank full of Ammonia surely i need it to go down not add any more, i feel like there is nothing actually eating it ? i would do so if you think that will do any good, but can you explain why i need to add more of what i already have too much of? I have decided that come the weekend if no change, i am going to empty tank as much as possible, refill and stick a couple of fish in, come Hell, Ammonia or high water, fishless cycling clearly isn't working for me i'm sad to say :-\

Offline chris213

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • were going to need a bigger tank
« Reply #69 on: October 12, 2014, 03:28:08 PM »
seems a shame to give up on the cycle on day 35 , many of us have been there and yours seems to be slowly getting there with some slight odd readings but a fish less cycle is not a exact things time lengths vary for many reasons.
if to jump to a fish in cycle you may find your self having to large water changes multiple times a day just to keep the levels low enough for the fish.
i lost a fair few fish when my tank started up and that was after a fishless cycle( that maybe i rushed i am unsure) and trust me there is no worse feeling in the world than returning to your tank every day to find a fish dead , better to have frustration and disapointment now with a empty tank than later with fish in the tank.

As for sue suggesting to add more ammonia the reasons are to encourage the bacteria to multiply which they will only do if there is a reason for them to do.

Offline Sue

« Reply #70 on: October 12, 2014, 03:36:56 PM »
I thought that since your nitrite is dropping nicely, upping the ammonia wouldn't make too much nitrite so ti was worth taking a chance.

If you do go with fish, make sure you don't get too many. The filter bacteria don't know where the ammonia is coming from, fish or a bottle, so if there aren't enough bacteria to remove the ammonia from a bottle, there won't be enough to remove the ammonia from lots of fish. Take it slowly. The 3ppm dose is more than the amount of ammonia made by a tank full of fish; the idea is to grow more bacteria that you actually need. So only a few fish will only make a small amount of ammonia, and you may already have enough bacteria for that many fish. Check the water regularly after you get them to be safe.

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #71 on: October 12, 2014, 04:37:33 PM »
Thanks Sue, i don't really want to put many in at one go, that wasn't my aim, i was thinking between 2 and 4 Platy. I know upping the dose is to feed the bacteria, but if they aren't eating or lowering 2.00ppm why give them more? i thought the aim was to get down to 0 ? Sorry if i haven't got a grasp of this yet, i just know i feel like im  permenantly at stage 8 going in the opposite direction to 0  :'(

Offline Sue

« Reply #72 on: October 12, 2014, 06:52:50 PM »
I'm just trying to think of something, anything that might work  :-\

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #73 on: October 12, 2014, 06:55:56 PM »
Well i'll stick with the 2.00 ppm ive put in and test again on Tuesday see what if anything is happening and let you all know. Thank you all  for the support anyway

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #74 on: October 12, 2014, 08:01:47 PM »
You added ammonia 2 days ago AM all you've got to do now is test every 2 days just record the readings and wait for 2 tests with ammonia of 0.

Keep posting here, Tuesday will be your next test, we'll get you through this

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #75 on: October 12, 2014, 08:24:46 PM »
Thanks, all, not sure if it's "fine" it could be me reading chart wrong i suppose, but the Ammonia can only be either yellow green or green green, and im pretty sure yesterday was yellow and today was greener lol. Oh well i will check again on Tuesday and report back.Thanks again  :) 

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #76 on: October 13, 2014, 11:32:05 PM »
AquaMaid you have no fish in to worry about so you don't need to test until Tuesday anyway and that's just a test to check your filter bacteria, there's no wrong or right, it's just shows what the filter bacteria is doing. Tuesday report your test results and that's all you have to do.

Ammonia and nitrites will be doing all sorts of stuff, you just need to record it and post it here and we'll guide you through. I've been through this not that long ago so I do understand where you're coming from  :)

While this is going on do the fun stuff, see what plants you'd like and the fish that would love your tank  :fishy1:

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #77 on: October 14, 2014, 09:45:55 AM »
Good morning Fiona, well iv'e done my dreaded reading for today, Nitrite was a clear cut 0 ppm Ammonia is always tricky to read, it is paler than 2.00 but greener than 1. 00 but i'm opting for a strong 1.00 ppm lol What do you think ???
Ah iv'e had plenty of time to think, re think tank occupants, because of the problems iv'e had, size and hard water ive decided to keep it very simple so 6-8 choice Platys and 6-8 Emperor Tetras.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #78 on: October 14, 2014, 11:20:16 AM »
Morning AM results are fine, now all you need to do is test again in 2 days.  :)

Emperor tetras are beautiful looking fish and on my wish list when we get the big tank. We've decided to get it as a joint xmas pressie to ourselves.

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #79 on: October 14, 2014, 11:40:33 AM »
So it's ok that Nitrite is 0 ppm ?, shouldn't Ammo be down, and Nitrate be up   :-\ 
What size tank do you have? i really wanted Penguin tetras, but they need wider than 24" tank i think and i'd like to get some basic knowledge of fish first.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Still stuck, stuck, stuck, stuck.........."

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
6 Replies
Last post March 19, 2013, 07:51:23 AM
by ColinB
9 Replies
Last post June 28, 2013, 01:49:17 PM
by jesnon
11 Replies
Last post September 07, 2013, 04:52:11 PM
by jesnon
3 Replies
Last post September 14, 2013, 10:23:46 AM
by Sue
21 Replies
Last post May 20, 2016, 08:16:01 PM
by mazzamoo
2 Replies
Last post June 06, 2016, 02:35:36 PM
by rosaleen
11 Replies
Last post June 05, 2017, 07:52:58 PM
by Littlefish

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: