Replacement For Jeyes Kleen Off Ammonia Hydroxide For Filtration Use

Author Topic: Replacement for Jeyes Kleen Off Ammonia Hydroxide for filtration use  (Read 1579 times) 10 replies

Offline greyman

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Jeyes business was sold and the new owners have dropped production of Kleen Off. I know that because we used to be heavy users of their product in our factory for use in cleaning remanufactured cartridges and then found we could not purchase more.
We spent time sourcing the factories who produced the plastic bottles caps and squirty nozzles for Jeyes, then looked at a better way to add value which was to source ammonia hydroxide at 20% ammonia in solution rather than 10% as Jeyes used simply to provide double the use from the same 500ml bottle so much better value and this became so successful we decided to sell our new product as well as using it in our UK factory.
See link here for a full description, images of our bottles, prices and our brand name PentaH*
Please email david at davidhymers dot com for eBay details.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Replacement for Jeyes Kleen Off Ammonia Hydroxide for filtration use
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2021, 08:14:08 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Is this 'pure' ammonia, that is just ammonia (ammonium hydroxide) and water? No perfume, surfactant, detergent etc?

Offline greyman

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2021, 08:52:50 AM »
Morning Sue,
You are correct - just pure ammonia and water and no additives - exactly like the Jeyes Kleen Off formula except that our one is double strength so you get double the use from our 500ml bottle by comparison to Jeyes and everything else in terms of design, safety cap and squirty nozzle is also identical.
Hope this helps.
David

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2021, 08:57:47 AM »
That would be useful to fish keepers in the UK who need ammonia for cycling a tank. We'd just need to make a note to use half the amount suggested in the fishless cycling sticky.
So many brands of ammonia on eBay & Amazon either contain detergent or they don't say what's in it so we can't risk using it.

PS I still have a bottle of Kleen Off ammonia in the cupboard, a little goes a long way when cycling a tank. It's getting old now so it probably contains less than 9.5% nowadays  :)

Offline greyman

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2021, 09:05:39 AM »
Good point about the amount to use although it is also clear on the usage label on the bottle as a "belt & braces" reminder.
As regards the multitude of brands on eBay and Amazon some of them are unclear as to content, others are selling Kleen Off (supposedly, but the bottle has the label on) and I've seen as much as around £70 per 500ml bottle being asked which is ridiculous.
Ours is £15 for 2 x 500 ml bottles of genuinely correct content, and includes free delivery to UK mainland addresses.

Offline Sue

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2021, 11:47:41 AM »
Would it be possible to sell smaller bottles and market them as suitable for cycling aquariums? For example, a 450 litre tank, which is the biggest size a number of aquarium manufacturers sell, would need 6.75 ml per full dose, and maybe as much as 50 ml in total. And obviously smaller tanks would need less.
Though I don't know how much of a market there would be for cycling compared to its use for cleaning. Perhaps sell them in single 500 ml bottles in the Fish & Aquarium section of Ebay rather than a double pack? And put in the title that it is suitable for fishless cycling. Given the difficulty getting pure ammonia, that would grab attention  :)

Offline greyman

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2021, 12:24:53 PM »
I can certainly sell single bottles although it affects the price a little as two bottles cost the same carriage as one - and the other factor is that the same product is perfect for cleaning house windows, hard floors, laundry use and other hard surfaces so could use the same bottles for multi needs.
However, let me see if I can work a way to sell single 500 ml bottles in the way you suggest, Sue
thanks

Offline greyman

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2021, 12:49:46 PM »
Hello Sue,
I've added the product in the eBay Fishless cycling "pets" section so would appreciate it if you could google for it and see what you think - firstly, hope you find it.

Offline Sue

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2021, 02:35:03 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
I found it. I went to 'home and garden' then 'pet supplies', searched for 'ammonia' and 'new listed' and it was the first entry  :)
Then from the main eBay home page I searched 'ammonia fishless cycling' and again it was the first entry.

The only thing I would change, if you can, is to say that it's pure ammonia, no additives, as that's the first thing we look for when trying to buy ammonia. That won't be important for non-fish use, but it is for fish keepers so even if you only add that comment in the listing in the pet section it would get you more sales.

Offline greyman

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2021, 02:40:46 PM »
Thanks Sue,
I made the suggested change so if you can see that and confirm as a "visitor" that it shows what you recommended, it would be great thanks.
Appreciate your observations - thank you.
best wishes
David

Offline Sue

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2021, 02:53:06 PM »
That looks better, thank you  :)

For fishless cycling we are looking for pure ammonia and now the listing title stands out as being suitable. And with the words 'ammonia' and 'fishless cycling' also in the title, anyone should be able to find it using those words in the search box.

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Replacement for Jeyes Kleen Off Ammonia Hydroxide for filtration use"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
3 Replies
Last post September 24, 2012, 07:17:05 PM
by Sue
4 Replies
Last post December 11, 2012, 02:03:12 PM
by jowjow1976
12 Replies
Last post December 25, 2021, 08:13:59 PM
by Sue
2 Replies
Last post September 09, 2013, 05:41:51 PM
by mozzworley
8 Replies
Last post June 24, 2014, 03:12:05 PM
by Silksheen
12 Replies
Last post April 09, 2015, 02:51:33 AM
by brian c
2 Replies
Last post August 11, 2015, 12:12:56 PM
by Stanster

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: