New Tank

Author Topic: New tank  (Read 2628 times) 9 replies

Offline Alostangel

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
New tank
« on: March 17, 2020, 09:15:35 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Bit of a long backstory so bare with me!

A few months ago, I brought a betta male for my 64 litre tank. That tank has now been up for almost a year and has two solid shoals of 8 harlequin rasboras, 7 Cardinal tetras, a random dwarf rainbow fish (store wouldn’t accept a return) and an unknown amount of ottos (thought to be 2 but one may have perished).

Now, the betta was brought on a Friday as it was half term and he settled in rather nicely, wasn’t too bothered with the other fish and I was quite happy with him. I went to work, and on the Saturday too - still happy with him.

On the Saturday night, I went to my dad’s and left him in the more than capable hands of my mum. I came back on Sunday evening and she said she hadn’t been able to see my betta that morning when she went to feed them. All other fish were present but the betta had gone missing. I checked the tank, behind the filter, etc. And concluded that he had indeed disappeared.

So my thinking was that he had died of stress/poor care from the pet shop and had been eaten by the ottos, brutal but that’s nature for you. So the following Wednesday, having given him some time to reappear in case he had just been absent for a day or two, I went and brought a new betta.

I had just put the bag in the tank and started the temperature acclimation when I happened to look at the filter and lo and behold, who did I happen to see?! A rather beaten up original betta! (Now named Freddie the Filter Fish) I let him out of the filter and for a moment though he was dead however he began to swim around. He started to interact with the new Betta (unnamed still) and I knew I had a problem.

Freddie’s fins were so shredded I knew who would win if I were to put both in the tank together. So in lieu of anything better, I grabbed a jug, filled it with tank water, put Freddie into the jug with some water sprite and a card over the top. New betta was put into the tank and is still with us, quite happy. Freddie was my concern. I had to go to work and so had to leave him (hence the card over the top, didn’t want him to jump out and die that way) and so that night I borrowed a tank from my mum’s friend. It’s tiny, about 5 litres maybe total space but the filter takes up at least 1 litre which doesn’t leave a lot of room. However it would do for then until I could buy a proper tank.

I put some plants in, some moss, some water sprite and it’s grown quite well in there and Freddie has made an almost complete recovery as well as growing bigger overall and I knew it was too small. I had disagreements with my mum who thought it was unnecessary to get a bigger tank and I realised the only way to move forwards was to just buy a new tank.

The new tank is still a bit small at 17 litres however given it’s about 3x the size of the original, I wasn’t going to get away with much more. I also brought some rocks to make a little shelter for Freddie and a new bunch of plant which is a ferny type so should provide a nice resting spot. I plan to set up the tank tomorrow so my question is, can I move some of the filter media from the filter in the tank he’s in into the new filter and, with the help of the plants, get away with not cycling it?

Sorry for the long story but felt the background was slightly needed. Thanks

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Otocinclus (2) - Harlequin Rasbora (9) - Siamese Fighting Fish (male) (1) - Assassin Snail (1) - Cardinal Tetra (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: New tank
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2020, 09:33:11 PM »
if you move a chunk of media from the established tank and some fast growing plants, you should be OK. Monitor the ammonia and nitrite levels every day, and do a water change if either of them show above zero - with 17 litres that shouldn't be too demanding  ;)

The new tank is almost 5 gallons. Bettas can cope in just 2.5 gallons so 17 litres is much better than that. With plenty of good clean water his fins should grow back, albeit slowly.

Offline Alostangel

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2020, 09:41:45 PM »
Glad to hear this should work, thanks for the quick reply!

I heard about 5 gallons was the ideal for a betta so didn’t want to go much smaller than 25 litres but there was not many options when I went to the shop. Good to hear that this tank is up to scratch with the space though.

His fins have almost all grown back and reattached, I’d upload pictures here but I can never seem to get them to work. If anyone has social media and would like to see pictures I’m happy to supply that way. The only thing they need to do now is gain a bit more length and they’d be back to how they were before the incident.

Otocinclus (2) - Harlequin Rasbora (9) - Siamese Fighting Fish (male) (1) - Assassin Snail (1) - Cardinal Tetra (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2020, 08:34:31 PM »
Glad to hear that Freddie is doing well.  :)

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2020, 10:21:53 PM »
Glad to read that this story has had a happy ending. May Freddie continue to improve and go from strength to strength after his adventure!

Offline Alostangel

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2020, 04:13:20 PM »
The tank has been nicely set up, apart from a filter issue which is now resolved, and Freddie seems very happy with his new home! He’s particularly fond of the little shelter made of rocks and the fern as well as sitting on the top of the filter! - I suspect he likes the vibrations of it lol. One happy fish it seems.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2020, 06:14:21 AM »
Such a nice outcome to this story just catching up with things as I am!! Would be great to see photos, what error message were you getting?

Offline Alostangel

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2020, 01:33:21 PM »
Normally that it’s either the wrong format or too big a file, no matter which file type or size I try

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2020, 07:31:56 PM »
What device are you using? A windows computer? Android? iPhone? I have experience with these three if it helps...

Offline Alostangel

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2020, 10:03:33 PM »
And iPhone, I tried using the link you gave me before to adapt pictures but I can’t seem to get a combination that works

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "New tank"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
0 Replies
Last post December 11, 2012, 06:26:01 PM
by maz1
5 Replies
Last post December 16, 2012, 10:04:20 AM
by maz1
35 Replies
Last post May 28, 2013, 04:02:12 PM
by Resa
8 Replies
Last post April 07, 2014, 05:40:47 PM
by Christine Snape
31 Replies
Last post December 22, 2014, 10:11:22 AM
by AndreaC
18 Replies
Last post March 07, 2015, 06:07:04 PM
by Aquamaid
6 Replies
Last post December 30, 2017, 01:19:11 PM
by Rustle

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: