Maturing New Sponge Filter. COMPLETE In 23 Days.

Author Topic: Maturing new sponge filter. COMPLETE in 23 days.  (Read 15404 times) 53 replies

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Maturing new sponge filter. COMPLETE in 23 days.
« on: March 14, 2016, 01:08:25 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I've just bought an Aquael Pat mini filter for my shrimpery. I got fed up having to clean the bit of nylon stocking I used to cover the inlet on the old filter. I need to mature it so was wondering if I added it to my 200l how long do you think it'll take to grow a decent supply of bacteria on the sponge?

I also bought a fluval 206 external for my 200l, would swapping the old media into it be sufficient, or would it trigger a mini cycle?

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
Re: Maturing new sponge filter.
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 03:57:00 PM »
The new external first.
Transferring all the old media into the new filter is the best way to do it. If there are spaces left, use some of the new media to make sure there are no gaps for the water to by-pass the media. You will lose some bacteria in the biofilm on the casing of the old filter but that is only a very small proportion of the total number. If you are worried, feed the fish more lightly for a few days before and after. And check the ammonia and nitrite levels.
Whenever I've upgraded a filter like this I've never seen the tiniest blip in water stats.

The new internal.
Adding it to the 200 litre won't grow many bacteria, I'm afraid. There are already enough bacteria for the fish in that tank so they only need to multiply to replace any individual bacteria that die off. They won't just migrate into the new filter.
I've just googled the filter and it doesn't look as though you can use any of the old media as it is basiclly a sponge filter with a pump attached.
Is there any way you could fix the old media to the outside of the new one, and gradually remove bits of the old one to make the bacteria multiply? Transfer of bacteria fro old media to new works better if the two are in physical contact.
Or do a fishless cycle like I did with the new sponge filter for the betta's tank.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 04:05:38 PM »
I'd customised the old filter to include ceramic media. I could probably use an elastic band to put the two halves of foam on the outside, that might help.

I just finished setting up the shrimpery again yesterday but I've left the shrimp in the quarantine for now. I wanted to get the filter up and running before I put them all back in plus I wanted to make sure I didn't end up with toxic soup again first.

I'll go have a fiddle nd see what I can do. Ta Sue

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 04:20:34 PM »
All done and I even managed to squeeze 2 pieces of ceramic media into the inside. I've added 1ml of ammonia to see how it deals with it.

I have to say it is whisper quiet! I've never heard such a quiet filter, what a boon. That said what's the betting I cant sleep tonight for lack of a hum. ::)

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2016, 12:10:31 PM »
Well just done an ammonia test and there's still 1ml of ammonia in there  ??? so I guess the sponges on the outside are having no effect whatsoever, how annoying!

I'll increase the temperature and see if that helps. However I have a feeling I'm going to have to run a complete fishless cycle. Should I add another 2ml of ammonia?

Offline Sue

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2016, 12:22:15 PM »
Will the tank just have shrimps or will there be any fish as well? If it's just the shrimps, you can cycle with less than 3ppm - 1ppm will probably be OK, but measuring the amount of ammonia to give a third of a ppm might not be that easy.
Increasing the temp should help speed the cycle up a bit. I would test every couple of days till the ammonia reading drops to zero, then add enough ammonia for one third of ppm. Then see what happens to the nitrite level. If you follow the fishless cycling method, you'll have to divide all the ppms by 3 to know whan to add ammonia.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2016, 12:34:02 PM »
I'll put some ottos in there eventually and I was mulling over the possibility of adding some platinum tetras but I'm undecided on the later an it wouldn't happen until the plants have grown to a sufficient density to provide coverage.

I've just bumped up the heater to 30C so that might speed things up. I do have 1ml syringes Sue, I bought those to make it easier to measure out water conditioner for the 30l tank, I'll use one of those to get a 1/3rd dose.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2016, 11:33:10 AM »
Tested the water this morning

0.5ppm ammonia
5ppm nitrites

I'm not sure why the nitrites are so high, before I add more ammonia do you think I should do a water change to lower the nitrites?

Offline Sue

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2016, 11:47:35 AM »
First of all, how much ammonia have you added in total? 1ppm ammonia gets turned in to 2.7ppm ammonia, so if you've added 2ppm that would make 5.4ppm nitrite which is off the top of the scale of most testers.
The danger level for nitrite is 15ppm. This is made by 5.5ppm ammonia.

I would add your 'full' dose and start checking every 2 days. You will then be looking for two zero ammonias, that is zero one day and zero again 2 days later.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2016, 11:51:56 AM »
I've only added 1ml of ammonia so far.

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2016, 11:52:55 AM »
You've got an efficient colony of Ammonia eating bacteria but an under-developed colony of Nitrite eating bacteria, basically that's it in a nutshell. My own fishless cycle at the moment is similar to yours, Ammonia zero but still a little nitrite (0.25ppm). The nitrite eaters are multiplying well though since my readings get lower faster with each dose of Ammonia.

As Sue says, once you have zero ammonia one day and again a zero 48 hours later, it's time to feed them more ammonia so they stay active and don't go dormant  :)

Offline Sue

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2016, 11:55:41 AM »
Add another dose of ammonia. If you've decided to do the whole 3ppm cycling, add 3ppm. If you are just cycling to 1ppm, add 1ppm.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2016, 12:08:42 PM »
I'll just do 1ppm. I won't be adding ottos for ages and when I do it'll be a few a time so the filter can keep up. Ta all.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2016, 02:31:50 PM »
0 ammonia today and the nitrites somewhere between 2-5 which is an improvement so I'm getting there  :)

Added another 1 ml ammonia

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2016, 03:59:20 PM »
Day 7 and zero ammonia today, just need the nitrite eaters to man up now! 2-5ppm nitrite still.

Offline Sue

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2016, 05:21:45 PM »
You'll get there  :)

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2016, 06:50:36 PM »
Hang in there Fiona, it's going well  :)

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2016, 09:44:51 AM »
Thankee, its taking longer than I hope though.

I cant get any fish until the shrimp are back where they belong as they're occupying my quarantine tank and I'm not putting any fish in my 200l until they've been quarantined 3 weeks. Hohum 

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2016, 08:42:04 PM »
Decided to re-read the fishless cycling to double check and have discovered I shouldn't have been adding ammonia every day  :-[  Its only been 1ml but you'd think I'd know better by now. DOH!

This probably explains why the nitrites are so high. So I've done a 10l water change but the nitrites are still off the scale. I'll leave it again now until tomorrow and see what's happening then.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2016, 08:59:39 PM »
At least you noticed.  ;D

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Maturing new sponge filter. COMPLETE in 23 days."

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
3 Replies
Last post June 15, 2013, 01:01:13 PM
by Sue
4 Replies
Last post June 04, 2014, 06:20:26 AM
by MaidinBelfast
4 Replies
Last post March 18, 2015, 12:45:25 PM
by Sue
20 Replies
Last post April 09, 2016, 11:11:12 AM
by Fiona
3 Replies
Last post May 19, 2016, 10:47:16 AM
by Fiona
4 Replies
Last post December 10, 2016, 06:35:52 AM
by Matt
30 Replies
Last post May 30, 2020, 09:42:26 PM
by jaypeecee

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: