Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Cycling tank - the restart
« on: May 29, 2020, 11:36:46 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi all

So have finally got my 200l tank ready to start cycling. Given it a good clean and put aquarium sand on the bottom. Have a external filter on it, called a Aquamanta EFX400 but instead of using the sponges I have set it up differently. Firstly have put a coarse, medium and fine sponge in bottom basket and then have put something called biohome ultimate in the other 2 trays, at least 3kg worth which is supposed to cover a normally stocked community tank of 300 litres. It also came with bacteria in little balls. Not sure if they will help but have put them in and will let you know what happens. Have put 6mm ammonia in today, so will check Monday to see how things are going.

My other empty tank (125l) will be restarted in the next couple of days but I will use some mature media along with biohome in another external, All Ponds Solution EF1000 filter, so guess the cycle will be quicker. Then will swap my other tank from an internal to external filter after that.

Will keep you updated on how things go etc.

Offline Hampalong

• Global Moderator
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
Re: Cycling tank - the restart
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2020, 12:23:51 PM »
6mls is a bit of an overkill, you’d get a quicker cycle with 1 or 2, and you’d still have enough bacteria...
Watch the nitrites don't exceed 15mls or they’ll stall the cycle... high nitrates will slow it down also...
:)

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2020, 12:48:56 PM »
6mls is a bit of an overkill, you’d get a quicker cycle with 1 or 2, and you’d still have enough bacteria...
Watch the nitrites don't exceed 15mls or they’ll stall the cycle... high nitrates will slow it down also...

Was just going on the fishless cycling post which says 0.3ml per 10 litres. Is that wrong?

Offline Hampalong

• Global Moderator
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2020, 01:32:00 PM »
Can you link me to it?

I think it’s my fault... you’ve added 6mls in total, not 6mls per litre...?

So you’ve got 6mls in 200l, which is 0.03mls/litre. That’s not much. You’d be better off with 1-2mls/litre.

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2020, 02:25:08 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1

Offline Hampalong

• Global Moderator
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2020, 04:57:03 PM »
D’oh.

That’s fine. Just ignore me, it’s one of those days...

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2020, 05:55:24 PM »
D’oh.

That’s fine. Just ignore me, it one of those days...

You had me worried for a minute, had to reread it just to check.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2020, 08:40:25 PM »
The main reason that 3 ppm was chosen in the method that I used in that link is that it is more than a sensibly stocked tank will make per day, so you know that you have grown more than enough bacteria by the end. Of course it won't be enough for a grossly overstocked tank.......

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2020, 01:19:50 PM »
@Sue Can I just double check parts 6 to 8 on the fishless cycling thing. When I have reached part 6, do I add 3ppm for next test, and if 0 ammonia on first test, do I add in 3ppm again and then check 2 days later for ammonia being 0, before moving to part 9?

Offline Sue

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2020, 04:20:34 PM »
At the very start of the cycle, you add enough ammonia to get 3 ppm in the water. This is dose 1.

You reach stage #6 when the first dose of ammonia drops to 0.75 ppm and it has been turned into at least 2 ppm nitrite.
When you've reached this target add 3 ppm ammonia. This is dose 2

The next bit is difficult to explain properly.
Once you've added dose 2 you start testing every 2 days instead of every 3 days.
Then you wait until ammonia has dropped to zero, and when you test 2 days later it is still zero. You must have two zeros, two days apart before going on to the next stage.

Once you got these two zeros, add enough ammonia to get 1 ppm in the water (stage #8). This is dose 3.

Now it's just a question of testing every 2 days and waiting till you get the target levels in stage #10.
Until you get to those targets, you add a small (1 ppm) dose of ammonia when ammonia readings show zero at two tests two days apart. This is to feed the ammonia eaters while waiting for the nitrite eaters to grow. Depending just how fast ammonia drops to zero, this could mean adding 1 ppm ammonia 4 days after adding the last 1 ppm dose if the readings drop quickly or longer than 4 days if the reading drops slowly.

I've added the dose numbers to the sticky.

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2020, 12:09:28 PM »
Hi @Sue

One of my tanks I have put some mature media in it. I used 3ppm ammonia on Saturday and have tested today and ammonia is 0.5ppm but I have zero nitritres. Do I need to wait for the nitrites to catch up? And what if ammonia reaches zero before nitrites appear?

Thanks

Offline Sue

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2020, 12:23:19 PM »
With mature media it is possible that you have enough nitrite eaters to remove nitrite as soon as it is made by the ammonia eaters. In this case you wouldn't see a reading for nitrite as it would all have been converted to nitrate as soon as it appeared.

I would wait till ammonia drops to zero and if nitrite still hasn't shown up, add another 3 ppm.

The target points and timescales in the method assume that no mature media or bottled bacteria are used; they can alter the progress of the cycle so when they are used the cycle will be different.

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2020, 01:31:48 PM »
Thanks @Sue

I have two tanks restarting, and only have mature media in the 125l tank. Put 3ml in Saturday, and down to 0.23ppm today whilst the 200l tank started with 3ppm on Friday, and only down to 1.63ppm so far.

Before you ask, the precise figures come form a digital ammonia tester I have brought. Checked against api test kit and getting same readings (although not as precise).

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2020, 01:28:42 PM »
Hi all

Just a little update on both tanks.

The 200l has been going for 6 days, and now reading 1.62ppm for ammonia and no nitrites yet. There are no plants in this tank.

The 125l has been going for 5 days, registered 0ppm ammonia yesterday, so I added 3ppm yesterday, and todays reading is 1.05ppm. Still zero nitrites. There is some mature media in this tank and half a dozen plants.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2020, 11:14:04 PM »
Sounds like good progress :)

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2020, 10:55:55 AM »
So the 125l tank is showing 0.60ppm ammonia and the slightest hint of nitrites. The lack of nitrites could be because of the mature media already having the nitrite bacteria.

I think I will check again tomorrow, and if ammonia is nil, do another 3ppm ammonia dose and check every two days. Does that sound like a plan?

Offline Sue

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2020, 03:04:52 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
I would do just that. When ammonia drops again, test the tank nitrate and the tap nitrate to see if they are the same or not. If tank nitrate is higher, it must have come from somewhere - from all the ammonia you've added.

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2020, 10:39:52 AM »
I would do just that. When ammonia drops again, test the tank nitrate and the tap nitrate to see if they are the same or not. If tank nitrate is higher, it must have come from somewhere - from all the ammonia you've added.

So ammonia down to zero. Nitrites zero. Nitrates out of tap 10ppm, out of tank 40ppm, so definitely seems nitrate being produced.

Have added 3ppm ammonia and will check in 2 days to see if zero. If it is, will check in 2 days again and if still 0ppm, do I add 1ppm ammonia at that point?

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2020, 12:03:11 PM »
Hi @Sue

Got a query on my 200 litre tank. Put 3ppm ammonia in 9 days ago, checked after 3 days and was down to 1.5ppm, but on day 6 and today, day 9. it is remaining at same level. Is that right?

Have read the fishless cycle and seems to be ok, as this tank has no mature media in it. Maybe just patience needed.

Offline Sue

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2020, 02:16:27 PM »
Without mature media or Tetra Safe Start it can take a while to drop. I had the same thing happen - ammonia dropped but no nitrite then stayed at the same level for a while. It took 21 days for my ammonia to drop to zero with no mature media or TSS, though every tank is different.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Cycling tank - the restart"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
3 Replies
Last post July 30, 2014, 03:39:24 PM
by Sue
6 Replies
Last post September 28, 2014, 08:51:22 PM
by Jwc
2 Replies
Last post January 02, 2015, 12:54:05 AM
by CoronaFish
5 Replies
Last post September 16, 2015, 09:35:53 AM
by Sue
4 Replies
Last post October 09, 2015, 03:32:33 PM
by Alex_N
13 Replies
Last post February 14, 2016, 07:55:06 PM
by Extreme_One
4 Replies
Last post March 17, 2017, 01:15:49 PM
by Hampalong

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: