Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
UV Steriliser
« on: February 28, 2021, 06:30:51 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi All

Sorry not been around but real life got in the way. Wondering if anyone uses a UV steriliser and any comments on it?

Thanks

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
Re: UV Steriliser
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2021, 09:59:29 PM »
I’ve personally never considered using them as I believe their main use it to control green algae (the type that is free floating in the water column) and this is never an issue I’ve suffered with.

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2021, 07:30:33 PM »
Good to see you, @barneyadi . Unfortunately, I can't comment on a UV steriliser as I've never considered using one either. However, a quick 'search' for 'UV' on the forum and there are lots of threads where it's discussed - these might be worth a browse through. Here's one example:
https://forums.thinkfish.co.uk/fish-tanks-and-equipment/uv-or-not-uv-that-is-the-question/msg12627/#msg12627

Offline Vanadia

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2021, 08:17:05 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
I have used UV sterilisers in my aquariums for a few years now, but I have yet to find one I am completely happy with. However I continue to use them as I do think that they reduce algae and can prevent some diseases. The only time I have ever had a white spot outbreak was when I wasn't using a UV steriliser. They don’t make algae already in the aquarium disappear, but they seem to reduce the amount of algae which forms and make it much more manageable.

The best one I have found so far is the All Ponds Solutions 9W UV steriliser, it is a powerful filter which also pumps air into the water and has plenty of filtration capacity inside, but the ON/OFF switch for the UV light doesn’t always work correctly (this has happened with 2 of these filters), so I have to completely unplug it if I need to turn off the UV light for any reason. I have also recently tried the Green Killing Machine, but it did nothing at all for algae, I think it is designed more for green water.

UV filters have to be switched off when using medications and some water treatments, and the bulbs need replacing around every 6 months.

Offline Dalto00

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2022, 11:25:42 AM »
Our 75-gallon freshwater planted tank has always had a fair amount of algae, but recently the water started getting cloudy and darker. Looking at a sample in bright light revealed it was turning green... Ordered one of these Fluval UV lights and added it in line with my Fluval 407 filter. Water started clearing the next day and was crystal clear within a week. Overall algae growth is also down on the glass, rocks, etc. So, I think you should consider this UV sterilizer.

Tags:

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: