Replacement For Marina I110 Filter?

Author Topic: Replacement for Marina i110 filter?  (Read 6417 times) 21 replies

Offline Afterburner

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
Replacement for Marina i110 filter?
« on: January 16, 2021, 11:24:27 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
So my tank came with a Marina i110 filter.
Apart from being very oddly designed (see below), it also is noisy.
Any ideas for a (very quiet) replacement?
Tank is a 60l Marina Vue 60.

So the deisgn is that the impeller sucks up water at the bottom of the unitr and pumps it upward, it comes out in the middle of a media cartridge, then through a 'bio screen' and out.
The media cartridge seems to have the finest media (and charcoal) in the middle, then a thin layer of foam.  The bio screen is a large (1mm+) plastic mesh.
Is it just me or should the filter be: large mesh then foam then charcoal then out - trapping different sized particles as it goes?
This filter seems to be the wrong way around to me - very fine filter first will trap everything, very quickly clogging up.  Foam will keep some bacteria but thats about it.  Bio screen does nothing!

And it's noisy.  Have tried putting some silicone gel around the impeller houseing, may put more in to see if it helps.
Might also try putting some sponge type filter material in, then the existing media folded up (so that water still passes through it) and get rid of the bio screen!  Only problem is it is open topped so would need to fix it all in somehow.

Thanks for reading this far!  Any suggestions?  8)

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Replacement for Marina i110 filter?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2021, 11:56:31 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
If it was my tank, I'd change the filter. i don't like like filters where the main medium is a carbon cartridge as carbon is not actually needed and there are better filter media.

I am a fan of Eheim internals. I would look at the Aquaball 130 or the Pickup 160. Both have sponge media and both have variable flow if you were to decide the water flow was too strong on 'full' They are also rated for larger tanks should you ever decide to upgrade.
Another good brand is Fluval, the U2 would be the model to go for. This had poly-carbon pads as part of the media; I would replace them with a layer of filter wool.

These are both at the more expensive end of the internal filter spectrum. If you would prefer cheaper, there is Maidenhead Aquatic's Aqua-Internal 100. This comes with a hollow sponge, the hollow being filled with carbon. When I had the smaller version in my betta's tank, I threw away the carbon and replaced it with more sponge. It has an optional mini spray bar and this has a flow rate adjuster. The downside is that the suckers are not replaceable (or at least I couldn't work out how) so when the suckers go hard the filter keeps falling of the glass.

Other members will have their favourite filters as well  :)

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2021, 03:04:33 PM »
I had that filter for a while. I kept in the plastic bioscreen but replaced the cartridge with foam.

In addition to Sue's excellent suggestions, another few options might be as at Reply #25 in https://forums.thinkfish.co.uk/catfish/bronze-corys-keep-dying-bad-stock-or-am-i-doing-anything-wrong/25/ or the next model/size up in each brand.

Offline Afterburner

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2021, 11:26:03 AM »
Well I have gone with the Eheim Pickup 160 - will be here tomorrow so I can get it in and established before the fish arrive (tank is still cycling at present)!

Offline Sue

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2021, 04:19:13 PM »
How are you cycling the tank? It is normal to have the filter in the tank at the beginning of cycling to give the bacteria somewhere to grow.

Offline Afterburner

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2021, 04:28:40 PM »
The Marina i110 is cycling it at the moment.  I'll move the media across to the new filter - won't take up much room!  ;D

Could be near the end of Feb before I get fish - it's my birthday on the 20th and I'm pretty sure daughter wants to get me a couple of fish :D

Offline Sue

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2021, 04:38:57 PM »
How are you cycling the tank?

if you've got the plants and there are a good number of them you can do a plant cycle which means waiting until the plants are actively growing before adding fish a few at a time.
You mentioned plants in an earlier post - what species, and how many plants do you have?

Without plants, or with only a few slow growers, you need to do a fishless cycle. Last time I did one, it took 7 weeks.

I hope you've dropped enough hints about what fish you want so she knows what to get  ;) . The danger with fish as presents is they may be wrong for the tank or the water or just 2 shoaling fish etc.

Offline Afterburner

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2021, 04:54:43 PM »
Cycling? Dropped some liquid ammonia in and let it get on with it!
Since then some plants have arrived & the ammonia levels have dropped to the floor!  Nitrate is spiking, Nitrite is also up - both seemed to rise together after doing nothing for a couple of weeks.  Could be the plants impact?
So far I have...
1 Echinodorus midifleur
1 Microsorum pteropus Windelov (on the rock)
Some Java Moss
7 vallisneria spiralis

Some vallisneria spiralis corkscrew still to arrive (Brexit delays) - I want a nice foresty area for the fish to hide in!  Debating something else for behind the rock - something small, maybe grass, maybe like a Bacopa 'compact'?  That's for another thread though!

Offline Sue

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2021, 05:01:13 PM »
Fishless cycling involves adding ammonia to 3 ppm when certain targets have been reached; a fishless cycle requires several ammonia additions.

However your tank does look to have enough live plants for a silent/plant cycle as long as you take things slowly. Make sure ammonia and nitrite are both zero before adding the first fish, and check the levels daily after each addition to make sure they stay at zero.

Offline Afterburner

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2021, 06:41:38 PM »
I was being flippant with the ammonia comment, of course I am trying to do it properly.
I will be with the family when buying fish, I'll probably get a voucher for Maidenhead Aquatics for the fish.
In some ways its nice not doing it all at once, first the substrate, then some plants, then bogwood & more plants, then some more plants(!) then a few fish then more fish.
Gives me something to do during this blasted lockdown other than drink!

Offline Sue

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2021, 07:05:43 PM »
Sorry, I was just sitting in a crumpled heap after finishing two water changes (2 tanks) when I typed my replies and my brain was on autopilot  ;D

50% changes on a 180 litre tank using buckets are exhausting. The tap won't accommodate a hose, and a python-type device is out of the question anyway as with that all the "dirty bacteria ridden water" would go down the sink  :yikes:

Should never have used the word bacteria where my husband could hear it........

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2021, 12:14:26 PM »
As it's actually the filter and specifically its media rather than the tank that goes through the cycling process, this https://forums.thinkfish.co.uk/fish-tanks-and-equipment/external-filter-for-marina-54/msg22520/#msg22520 [reply #8 final paragraph] should help you with retaining and transferring as much of the media as possible without it having too much of an adverse effect/delay on the cycling process.

This https://forums.thinkfish.co.uk/fishtank-filtration-and-cycling/fishless-cycling-how-to-do-it/ should also keep you right about when to add new doses of ammonia, etc.

Offline Afterburner

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2021, 12:05:41 PM »
So I got the Eheim Pickup 160 last night, just about managed to put the media from the Marina filter in as well as its own!  It fits in the tank nicely, have angled the head to point right (as we look at it in the pic) - and is quieter than the Marina filter so everyone is happy!

Lots more flow, even on lowest setting, and media I am much more familiar with (a big sponge!)
I'll give it a few weeks then remove the old media.  A month left until the earliest I plan to get fish, until then I get to enjoy the plants waving in the current.  :) 8)

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2021, 07:24:05 PM »
Glad to hear that you like your replacement filter.  :)

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2021, 09:42:38 PM »
Looks good, thanks for the photos, can’t wait to see the tank develop  :cheers:

Offline Afterburner

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2021, 08:04:05 PM »
So I know this is turning in to more of a cycling thread but may was well keep it all together rather than start a new one...
Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate all 0 (or near as dammit), was wondering if I needed to feed the plants at all, then... ALGAE!
And the water is getting cloudy, a fair few particles whizzing about & the odd small bubble rising!
Apart from shortening the light hours, what could / should I do? 

Offline Sue

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2021, 08:26:39 PM »
Too much light can encourage algae. And I would feed the plants - if they grow better, they'll out-compete the algae.

Another trick is floating plants, if the plants lower down in the water can cope with reduced lighting, as this will also reduce the light they algae are getting.

Offline Afterburner

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2021, 08:35:50 PM »
Thanks, will sort out some liquid fertiliser, not ready for floating plants right now!

Offline Sue

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2021, 09:32:20 PM »
Two good liquid fertilisers - Seachem Flourish Comprehensive Supplement and TNC light. The companies make other plant products with similar names, you don't want those.

Offline Afterburner

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2021, 09:37:18 PM »
Hmm, have already ordered some Fluval Gro+.  It seemed to have an the different nutrients, is that wrong?

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Replacement for Marina i110 filter?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
3 Replies
Last post February 22, 2013, 09:39:03 AM
by Sue
5 Replies
Last post March 23, 2013, 12:12:26 PM
by chrisp
3 Replies
Last post July 16, 2013, 01:09:40 PM
by jemworld
1 Replies
Last post February 19, 2014, 02:01:33 PM
by Sue
8 Replies
Last post June 24, 2014, 03:12:05 PM
by Silksheen
8 Replies
Last post March 14, 2016, 01:59:12 PM
by fcmf
10 Replies
Last post May 11, 2020, 12:13:24 PM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: