Author Topic: Pre-filter for FX6 - will it work?  (Read 4111 times) 4 replies

Offline Stripyjoe

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
Pre-filter for FX6 - will it work?
« on: January 16, 2020, 09:59:38 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
HI luvly ppl -  :wave:  HNY ( sorry, bit late ).. so, perhaps you've guessed that I've watched most of Pond Gurus' filter revues.. impressive and useful stuff - I've even seen some avid US professional aquarists and hobbyists on Youtube using his Biohome Ultimate media, but yet to hear anyone confirm his 'close to zero' nitrate claim.. I can't afford the £75+ it wud cost to fill my 3 baskets ( about 5kg )with Ultimate - which is basically sintered glass much like natural white pumice - except man-made.. so I took the 'poor mans' route and bought 10kg of pumice for £20..and filled 2 baskets already.  some of you may remember my posts from 6 mths back when I started my 350L cichlid tank ( all 2nd-hand stuff inc. the filter ) so now, the tank is not overstocked, but some  are close to adult size, plus 5-yesr old 'stripey Joe' - the Frontosa - laid back as ever, so quite a bio load..  :D   Now, I'm thinkin' the FX6 is overloaded wi' sponges and plan to fill 2 of the outer trays with more bio media, so I bought a tiny 2L SunSun HW602B pre-filter, comes complete with course / med / fine sponges.. got the necessary fittings, and hose arriving tomorrow .. getting to the nitty-gritty - I plan to fit the tank suction hose to suction side of SS, then SS outlet to FX6 inlet, FX6 outlet back to tank. The only pump involved will be the FX pump ( rated at 3500 l/h with mt canister, so perhaps 1500 l/h when set up )..my question - the FX6 inlet / outlet hoses are 22mm ID, with shut-off ball valves, but no 'variable control' on the pump.. the SS inlet / outlet are both 12mm ID, so surface area less than 1/3 that of the FX6.. I believe I cud reduce the pump outlet rate by partly closing the outlet valve ( tho' never tried it ) so wondering if safe to run this setup without the pump overheating ?   :-\  course, other option is get a bigger pre-filter canister wi' same size hoses..mebbe later.. thks any advice..

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • aka Donna
Re: Pre-filter for FX6 - will it work?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2020, 06:46:51 PM »
Hi there, and HNY.
Great to hear that your gang are doing well.
I don't know how things would work with using a small pre-filter. I'd be reluctant to try to adjust the flow rate of the FX6 because then it would be filtering as many lph, and as you've mentioned that your tank had a high bioload, I don;t know if that would have a negative impact on your water parameters.
I also don't know if adding the pre-filter in-line with the FX6 would also reduce the flow & have an impact on your water parameters.
If you want the increased volume of biomedia I'd be tempted to leave the FX6 with the sponges still in, but taking some sponges out of the pre-filter and replacing them with the mature biomedia you already have, and running the 2 filters separately.
I have several FX filters, and got them because of the flow rate. I've only ever had to consider reducing the water movement (used wider nozzles) in the axolotl tank rather than flow rate as such.

Offline LeakysLab

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
  • Simon
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2020, 07:48:49 PM »
I haven’t used this type of filter before however the idea of part closing the plumbing valve to reduce flow will only add more running pressure to the valve, pump unit and the hoses which could reduce the life of the motor etc, cause an Over load electrically which could trip it out. The valve may also fail or pop shut or fully open which isn’t ideal.

Not tying to put you off but from a plumbing background, I wouldn’t treat it like you would a tap. The water coming into the filter will need to be unrestricted to enable the water to flow through unrestricted.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Pygmy Cory (6) - Sparkling Gourami (1) - Ember Tetra (10) - Marbled Hatchetfish (6) - Cardinal Tetra (12) - Sterbas Cory (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Stripyjoe

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2020, 02:07:31 AM »
Thankyou Littlefish and LeakysLab for your kind advice - you are both correct of course on all counts -  :-[ I nearly tried it - then thought better of it - and with combination of leaking connections, and 50% water change. wot I thought wud be a 3-hour 'fix' turned into a 11 hour nightmare..  :(  perhaps this post cud be a lesson to other  ''newbies ' - the old adage - ' If it ain't broke, then why fix it'.. bottom line, mebbe I shud just set up another canister filter ( ain' got the room for a sump ) , but hey !! wot I thought was all males (?) - oops!! we got about 6 more Yellow Labs, and possibly an OB Peacock 'pair' in the tank as well - exciting stuff..  :))

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • aka Donna
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2020, 08:44:57 PM »
Congratulations on your new arrivals. :cheers:

Tags: Pimp my Filter 

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Pre-filter for FX6 - will it work?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
6 Replies
Last post December 06, 2012, 08:38:13 AM
by Sue
5 Replies
Last post April 08, 2013, 02:54:44 PM
by suep
2 Replies
Last post November 19, 2014, 10:27:05 PM
by biffster
4 Replies
Last post January 18, 2015, 03:29:39 PM
by nickyarthur
26 Replies
Last post March 11, 2015, 04:25:06 PM
by Sue
4 Replies
Last post August 15, 2016, 11:51:08 AM
by Fiona
10 Replies
Last post September 01, 2019, 09:12:05 PM
by sharpandroid

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: