Out Of Control Hair Algae

Author Topic: Out of control hair algae  (Read 3429 times) 18 replies

Offline Vanadia

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
Out of control hair algae
« on: May 18, 2021, 04:23:37 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I am having massive problems with green hair algae in my 105 litre which is 61% stocked. It is covering live plants, ruining ornaments, fish are even getting caught in it. I am having to manually remove it daily and I can't get it fully off the plants and ornaments without damaging them.

The lights are only on 6 hours a day, it is not in direct sunlight, pH is 7.6, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate close to 0 (I think the surface plants are using up the nitrate as it started dropping after I got those a few months ago), kH 3dH, gH 7dH. This aquarium has always had some algae since I set it up in September, initially I thought it was because the lights were on too long (10 hours) so I dropped them down to 6 hours, but months later the algae is still getting gradually worse and it is becoming unmanageable.

The strange thing is that I have another aquarium right next to it with next to no algae, so I don't think it is anything in the tap water or anything to do with the lighting in the room. The aquarium with no algae is 80 litre, coincidentally also has a 61% stocking level, has a slightly lower pH at 7.2 (probably because of the driftwood) and it does have nitrates at around 10. It does contain a bristlenose pleco, but I don't think he eats that much algae!

Does anyone has any suggestions as to what could be causing this and how I can get rid of it?

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Out of control hair algae
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2021, 09:36:49 AM »
That long strandy stuff is horrible. I had it in my small tank when I had a betta in there. I too pulled lengths of it out on a regular basis, and I had no idea why it kept growing.
I used to have shrimps in with bettas. But the last betta I had killed the shrimps shortly after I bought him, and it was after this that the algae started to grow. The previous betta accepted the adult shrimps but ate the babies; the one before that ignored both adults and babies. There was no algae with those bettas.

After the last betta died, I moved the shrimps from the main tank into the small tank. I replaced all the plants which were tangled with algae at the same time, and the algae has not come back.

I can only assume that red cherry shrimps are responsible for the lack of algae. There is also a nerite in the tank, but there was a nerite when the hair algae was there.

Would the occupants of your tank be OK with cherry shrimps? Unless any of the fish are voracious shrimp killers, it might be worth trying shrimps - the less colourful ones are not as expensive as the bright ones.

Offline Vanadia

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2021, 10:13:02 AM »
I had never thought of keeping shrimps to reduce algae. I had considered keeping shrimp in the past, but there was always I reason I decided not to, it might have been the high nitrates, which are no longer an issue. I would be happy to try keeping shrimp if my aquarium is suitable.

In that aquarium there are harlequin rasboras, ember tetras, neon tetras and an elderly WCMM. There is a gravel substrate, a sponge filter and the water is very soft. Would this be a suitable set-up for shrimp?  My other concern with keeping shrimp is temperature, I do keep that aquarium at 23-24 degrees, but that temperature can rise to 28 degrees in heatwaves, can shrimp tolerate higher temperatures?

Thanks

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2021, 11:36:48 AM »
The temperature is what mine are kept at. Your fish may eat any babies they can catch but the adults should be OK with them. It was pearl gouramis and some kribs I had for a couple of weeks that were picking mine off which I why I moved them after the betta died.
7dH hardness is fine for them. Mine is around 5 and they don't have any problems. It's when GH is 1 or 2 dH that it's a bit too soft.

I can't guarantee that the shrimps are the reason for the disappearance of my hair algae, but it's worth a try.

Offline chris213

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • were going to need a bigger tank
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2021, 06:12:22 PM »
I have ammano shrimp in my tank and there great for keeping algee under controll , I had a burst of algee a few weeks ago (to much sunlight) the ammano,s soon made short work of it once it was added , there a bit bigger than cherry shrimp and not afraid of slightly  larger fish .
My tank has plenty of hide holes for them but there regularly  out and about going to nose to nose with my peppered Cory's for some pellets etc

Offline Sue

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2021, 07:16:01 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
It's a long time since I had amanos, so it's good to know they will also eat algae  :)

Offline Vanadia

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2021, 08:16:49 PM »
Thanks for the replies. It seems like shrimp should help with the algae, and that they are suitable for my aquarium  :). There aren't too many hiding places in my aquarium though, but I have a cave I can add. 

I will see what type of shrimp are available at my local fish stores.

Offline Vanadia

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2021, 09:05:20 AM »
Just an update on my algae situation.

I couldn't find cherry shrimp anywhere, and I was a little concerned that the pH in my aquarium would be too high for Amano shrimp, so I ended up with Wood Shrimp. I now realise that they don't really eat algae, however they are doing really well in my aquarium, I have had them 2 months now and they are molting OK. The algae also seems to have reduced significantly since I replaced some of the algae covered plants and decorations, perhaps they are picking up algae particles in the water.

I also had an algae issue in my Betta tank (most of the glass was covered in algae, and there was green hair algae on the decorations), so I purchased 2 nerite snails (there was no way he would get along with shrimp!). In just 10 days,  80% of the algae has gone from the glass, and they have even eaten algae from pebbles and are now eating algae on a decoration. They are really good algae eaters!

Offline Sue

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2021, 09:47:50 AM »
I've always found nerites to be good algae eaters. And I've always had one with my bettas. Only one ever noticed the snail - he used to flare at it when it had crawled up the tnak wall but ignored it everywhere else. I can only assume that when it was on the glass it looked like something swimming in 'his' tank.

Wood shrimps are filter feeders - they use those fans to grab tiny particles floating in the water. Many of them like to sit in the filter outflow to catch bits in the fastest moving water in the tank. Many wood shrimp starve to death when their owners keep the tank too clean.
This link will take a while to load as the page no longer exists so we have to access it via Wayback Machine
Wood shrimp

Offline Vanadia

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2021, 03:01:35 PM »
Thanks for the link, it loaded fine! I was wondering about the coloration, it does seem to vary day to day.

My wood shrimp like to hang upside down from the roots of the floating plants to catch the particles :)

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2021, 08:48:26 PM »
Have you spotted any eggs laid by the nerites (little white dots) - you may have got lucky and got two of the same sex. Either way Uluru could move one over to the other tank once they are on top of things :)

Just been reading up about feeding your shrimp and have learnt that one option is to add some of the liquid from squeezing the filter media back into the tank - thought it was a good idea and so wanted to pass it on :)

Offline Vanadia

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2021, 09:14:32 PM »
I haven't spotted any eggs yet but will keep an eye out  :) I think they will have the tank clear of algae in 2 weeks at the rate they are eating it :) I do intend to move one into the 105 litre, however I am a little concerned about the temperature, my other aquariums are reaching temperatures of 28 - 29 degrees during heatwaves and I am not sure if nerites can tolerate that (my Betta tank doesn't seem to get as hot, maybe because it is in a cooler room or a smaller volume of water).  Does anyone know if nerites are OK at higher temperatures? Mine are zebra nerites and I was told when purchasing them to keep them around 25 degrees or less.

I will try squeezing the filter media for the wood shrimp. One of my filters is a sponge filter so should be quite easy :)

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2021, 10:29:04 PM »
Whilst I can’t find a specific scientific resource to quote on this, I suspect you snails will be fine at those temperatures - certainly if it is only for a few hot days. i do know for definite that they can also cope a lot colder than the standard tropical tank temperatures most species profiles recommend.

Offline Vanadia

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2021, 01:24:58 PM »
I moved one of the nerite snails into my other aquarium about 2 weeks ago. Prior to that, it was in the Betta tank with another nerite.

Today I noticed white spots all over the driftwood (where the nerite snail has been spending most of the last week). At first I thought maybe they were shrimp eggs, but after Googling it, these eggs seem to look like nerite snail eggs. However there has been only 1 nerite snail in that tank so I am confused!

Does anyone know if these are nerite eggs?

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2021, 03:17:47 PM »
I'd say snail eggs. Some articles suggest that a female will lay eggs even without a male present. I have multiple snails, so can't confirm that.
As far as shrimp go, I only have amanos and they tend to release eggs into the water rather than deposit them on decor.

Offline Sue

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2021, 04:24:04 PM »
They look very much like nerite eggs. The back of my tank, where I can't reach, is covered with them as is the wood in there.
I have found one reference that female nerites can store sperm. It's in the Q & A section at the bottom of this link
https://aquariumbreeder.com/nerite-snails-detailed-guide-care-diet-and-breeding/
with a reference to one of the papers here
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/281650872_Freshwater_neritids_Mollusca_Gastropoda_of_tropical_islands_amphidromy_as_a_life_cycle_a_review
but this last link contains just the summaries of several papers and I have no idea which is the one that refers to females storing sperm  :-\

Offline Vanadia

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2021, 09:38:05 PM »
That's interesting, no idea snails could do that. Will they actually hatch in freshwater?

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2021, 06:50:00 AM »
No, they need brackish water.
Part of the attraction of keeping nerites is that they don't take over the tank with baby snails due to the specific water conditions required for breeding.

Offline Vanadia

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2021, 08:50:08 AM »
That's good, was worried my aquarium would be over-run with hundreds of nerite snails!

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Out of control hair algae"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
4 Replies
Last post August 04, 2014, 10:08:02 AM
by Sue
6 Replies
Last post December 02, 2014, 10:00:10 AM
by turbominijj
6 Replies
Last post January 24, 2015, 02:31:25 PM
by Jwc
5 Replies
Last post April 29, 2015, 02:22:24 PM
by Fiona
2 Replies
Last post July 06, 2015, 07:58:43 PM
by Jwc
5 Replies
Last post May 10, 2016, 09:07:47 PM
by Andy The Minion
7 Replies
Last post October 15, 2018, 02:05:55 PM
by uv

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: