Larger Filter Or Add Another Small Filter

Author Topic: Larger filter or add another small filter  (Read 4156 times) 10 replies

Offline sharpandroid

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
Larger filter or add another small filter
« on: August 28, 2019, 10:28:54 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I have a fluval roma 90 with a u2 filter, I want to improve filtration, should I go for a u3 instead of the u2, or add a u1?
I thought I could add the u1 low down to help move dirt from the sand and around the plants.
What do you think?

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (4) - Slender Harlequin (9) - Cardinal Tetra (9) - Japonica Shrimp (5) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
Re: Larger filter or add another small filter
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2019, 10:33:09 PM »
You could do either but check that a u3 would fit vertically once in position.

If I were you, I'd add a second filter such as the u1 in addition to the u2, rather than replace the u2 with a u3 - always handy to have two filters running in the event of a filter failure (and easy to take the small one out of the tank in an emergency for use in a quarantine/hospital tank if required).

Offline Sue

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2019, 02:02:24 PM »
Adding extra filter capacity doesn't improve filtration because the current filter will hold all the bacteria needed for the fish in the tank. All it will do is add extra current. Before increasing current, check that the fish can cope with it - sedate fish should not have much current, though fish from fast moving streams will appreciate the extra flow.

Offline sharpandroid

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2019, 10:31:52 AM »
Ah yes the forum syndrome.
Yes do it, no don't do it....

So i could add a foam filter that would not increase water movement but still be available to move to another tank if needed and I could put more filter media in the existing filter as there is lots of room to do that.

I already have an air pump but never liked the noise from it, I could just turn it off when i don't want to hear it.

Thanks.

Panda Cory (4) - Slender Harlequin (9) - Cardinal Tetra (9) - Japonica Shrimp (5) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2019, 11:13:54 AM »
The Fluval U2 is rated for tanks up to 110 litres so it is fine for a 90 litre tank.

There are two myths regarding filtration:
The more filtration the better
Stronger filtration will remove debris from the bottom of the tank.

Providing that the filter media is capable of holding enough bacteria to deal with the ammonia from all the fish, increasing filtration will do nothing except increase water flow. This can be good for fish that come from fast flowing streams but not for fish that come from slow moving water or lakes. The increased flow will stress them.
Before increasing the water flow, think about what type of fish are in the tank.

Very few, if any, filters actually suck up debris from the bottom of the tank. It is the fishkeeper's job to do that. Filters can remove floating debris provided there is suitable media inside the filter (eg filter wool)

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2019, 03:15:48 PM »
Ah yes the forum syndrome.
Yes do it, no don't do it....
There is nothing here in the comments that is contradictory, so essentially it's over to you to work out what to do on the basis of the info we've supplied.

It seems that, on the basis of the collective advice:
*there would be little/no point in swapping/upgrading the u2 to a u3;
*whether you want to have an additional u1 depends on whether or not it is of interest to you to have a 'back-up filter' in the event that the u2 fails or to have ready to hand in the event you need to set up a hospital/quarantine tank in an emergency BUT it will add extra current and so whether or not to have it depends on whether you have fish which are sedate or those which require this. [Looking at your list, I see you have red cherry and japonica shrimp, julii cories, cardinals and harlequins - I would say that none of these require extra flow.]

So i could add a foam filter that would not increase water movement but still be available to move to another tank if needed
A foam filter would increase water movement/flow but, yes, it would still be available to move to another tank if needed. There would be no harm in buying a u1 for a hospital/quarantine tank - if you want to see how the current inhabitants get on with it as a second filter, you could try that, but if they get buffeted about too much, then probably best to keep it out of use as a spare for the hospital/quarantine tank rather than kept in use in the main tank.

Hope that attempt to clarify/summarise is helpful (and hasn't confused further!).

Offline Sue

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2019, 04:28:37 PM »
Cardinal tetras are from "relatively slow moving water"
Harlequin rasboras from "gently flowing sections of forest streams"

Neither would appreciate a lot of flow. In fact both need tanks with lots of wood and plants, and 'overhanging vegetation' which we can simulate by using floating plants.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2019, 05:39:25 PM »
So i could add a foam filter that would not increase water movement but still be available to move to another tank if needed and I could put more filter media in the existing filter as there is lots of room to do that.

Yes this is another option you could do :)

Offline sharpandroid

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2019, 10:47:20 PM »
I didn't suggest contradiction, I beleive forums usually give much helpfull information but you still make your own choice from the information given.

Anyway sorry if anyone was poked.

I added a Fluval U1 because I think two filters are more versatile than one and also believe that a U1 would be better than a foam filter with an air pump as I don't like the noise they make.

Having said that I now find the U1 is making a strange rattling noise but nothing is loose and the cable is secure, could it be the impeller? I can't find anything online to suggest that this is a common problem with the fluval filters and the U2 is very quiet.

I had set the U2 low in the tank with the output through the long centre section to create less output force and the U1 at the top to agitate the surface, the noise has meant I have had to turn off the U1 and move the U2 back up.

I might try and return the U1 to Maidenhead Aquatics tomorrow and ask them why it's so noisy.

If I remember i'l take some pictures of the tank and post them on here.

Thanks all

Offline Sue

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2019, 09:58:46 AM »
The first thing to do is make sure all the bits are there. I have Eheim filters and with those the impeller is seated on a shaft with a rubber 'thing' at each end of the shaft. If the U's are the same, make sure there both rubber 'things' are in place.

Air can also get trapped in the impeller well - keeping the filter fully submerged, tilt it from side to side while running.

If those fail, see the shop.

I don't think anyone took offence - I didn't. Everyone has different ways of doing things  :)

Offline sharpandroid

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2019, 09:12:05 PM »
Messed around with the U1 today, changed the impeller out of the U2 and it was silent so I have something to work from with returning it to the shop.
Reverted back to my Rosewood nano Q1 air pump and a small sponge with the U2, the Q1 nano is very quiet compared to conventional pumps but I still turn it off on a night.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Larger filter or add another small filter"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
5 Replies
Last post April 08, 2013, 02:54:44 PM
by suep
3 Replies
Last post October 10, 2013, 12:45:01 PM
by wooders
8 Replies
Last post November 27, 2013, 07:04:50 PM
by Sue
2 Replies
Last post November 19, 2014, 10:27:05 PM
by biffster
4 Replies
Last post November 21, 2014, 08:06:38 AM
by deano79
5 Replies
Last post January 20, 2015, 01:13:39 PM
by Aquamaid
8 Replies
Last post May 19, 2015, 09:26:06 PM
by Thor God Of Thunder

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: