Heater Left Plugged In Minus Water - Request For Advice

Author Topic: Heater left plugged in minus water - request for advice  (Read 794 times) 5 replies

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
Heater left plugged in minus water - request for advice
« on: August 27, 2022, 12:51:38 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I've just undertaken the weekly tank maintenance and, owing to mind distracted by other matters, unfortunately left the heater plugged in throughout ie for ~an hour with water at 50% volume.   
:vcross:  :vcross:  :vcross:
My spare heater is one which, a year or two ago, was left plugged in for a much shorter timeframe before I realised and salvaged the situation.  It got downgraded from main heater to spare heater, as I couldn't be certain I'd not broken it.

Thoughts: Test out in bucket of cold water, essentially 'forcing' it to auto-switch on and monitor with thermometer that it doesn't go beyond the thermostat-set temp of 26'C.  Buy a new heater if broken.
Question: Would the above suffice, or is there still a risk that I've broken the heater?  I don't want any risk of the tank temperature dropping during the night, the heater auto-switching on and then 'cooking' the fish during the night.

...Maybe I should just buy a new heater anyway, for peace of mind, rather than be on tenterhooks for weeks... ???

Offline Sue

Re: Heater left plugged in minus water - request for advice
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2022, 02:26:14 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
As far as I'm aware, when the heater switches on out of water it commonly cracks the glass (except for those heaters with metal or plastic casing). If yours is a glass heater, check it thoroughly for cracks as water can get inside through cracks, and if there are cracks, get a new one. If there are no cracks, then I would test in a bucket of water, and test the same way with metal or plastic heaters.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2022, 04:44:06 PM »
Thanks, Sue.  It's a glass one.  It raised the temperature correctly to the thermostat-set temp, then clicked off just after reaching that as I was watching it.  Phew.  I've also checked it throughly for cracks, and very fortunately don't see any.

I'm currently testing out the older/spare heater.  I forgot that its pilot light doesn't work but I've shoved its thermostat-set temp up to its maximum of 32'C to see if it raises the temperature on the thermometer reading in the bucket of water accordingly and doesn't go beyond that.  However, I also forgot that it has some slight condensation which hasn't dried out in all the time of lack of use - see attached photo.  Would the latter mean it's broken, its function simply 'compromised'/inefficient, or possibly neither (esp if it passes the above test)?

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2022, 06:36:38 PM »
I've had heaters with a bit of condensation inside - the previous one in my main tank was like that for years. Then suddenly it got a lot more, so that's when I replaced it. But I was always wary of putting my hands in the tank when that one was switched on, just in case.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2022, 07:40:14 PM »
Great - thanks.

The 'spare heater' testing is complete, and a useful reminder that the temperature goes up to 3-4'C above its pre-set temperature, irrespective of what it's set at - a fact I'd completely forgotten.  (I used to assume the tank temperature was always higher due to the summer / good insulation / central heating, but now realise that's not the case - the current thermometer has always been consistent with the pre-set heater temperature even with summer heatwaves and minimising central heating use in winter in recent years.)  I have now labelled the plug accordingly with a reminder, and with a warning not to put hands in tank if using it.
 :cheers:

Offline Hampalong

• Global Moderator
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2022, 03:42:23 PM »
I remember when it was ‘normal’ for a glass heater to have a little condensation inside.

If it still works and isn’t cracked it should be fine.

I’m sure you know but if it happens again don’t put it back in water while it’s hot or it will crack. :)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Heater left plugged in minus water - request for advice"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
5 Replies
Last post May 15, 2014, 10:52:15 AM
by Sue
5 Replies
Last post May 29, 2014, 03:52:41 PM
by Sue
20 Replies
Last post July 02, 2015, 04:28:38 PM
by Extreme_One
75 Replies
Last post October 24, 2015, 01:01:02 PM
by jesnon
19 Replies
Last post July 01, 2016, 04:08:54 PM
by Sue
8 Replies
Last post November 04, 2016, 09:06:01 AM
by Sue
9 Replies
Last post March 24, 2018, 06:23:32 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: