Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Filter size too much
« on: June 15, 2021, 09:00:11 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi all

I have APS 100EF external filters on my 125 litre tanks. The filter will supposedly do upto 400 litre and has a flow rate of 1000l p/h.
I always think the flow is rather strong, could my filter be too powerful?

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • aka Donna
Re: Filter size too much
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2021, 09:30:02 PM »
Is the flow bothering your fish?

Flow rate for a filter is usually advertised as the maximum achievable, which may be measured when there is no filter media present. It's likely that the filter doesn't do 1000l/h when full.

It may also depend on if the filter has a spray bar or nozzles for the output. If it's a spray bar and you are concerned about flow rate, you could consider making the holes on the spray bar larger.

That is quite a big filter for a 125L tank, so monitor at how your fish are reacting to the flow. Are they hiding from it, or are they not bothered? Do the species you have like strong flow?.

Looking at my tanks and they all have large filters. I have a Fluval FX4 on a 220L tank, but I have put wider nozzles on the output, so the water movement isn't what I'd consider strong. I also have an FX4 on the axolotl tank (460L), again with wide nozzles, because they are known for not liking strong water movement. The other 460L tank has an FX6 and 2 x FX4 filters, but that houses fish that are usually found in fast flowing rivers and they need the flow. All my other tanks have more filtration than would generally be recommended for tanks of their size.

Personally I feel that it depends on your fish and how they are reacting to the flow.

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2021, 10:03:23 PM »
Is the flow bothering your fish?

Flow rate for a filter is usually advertised as the maximum achievable, which may be measured when there is no filter media present. It's likely that the filter doesn't do 1000l/h when full.

It may also depend on if the filter has a spray bar or nozzles for the output. If it's a spray bar and you are concerned about flow rate, you could consider making the holes on the spray bar larger.

That is quite a big filter for a 125L tank, so monitor at how your fish are reacting to the flow. Are they hiding from it, or are they not bothered? Do the species you have like strong flow?.

Looking at my tanks and they all have large filters. I have a Fluval FX4 on a 220L tank, but I have put wider nozzles on the output, so the water movement isn't what I'd consider strong. I also have an FX4 on the axolotl tank (460L), again with wide nozzles, because they are known for not liking strong water movement. The other 460L tank has an FX6 and 2 x FX4 filters, but that houses fish that are usually found in fast flowing rivers and they need the flow. All my other tanks have more filtration than would generally be recommended for tanks of their size.

Personally I feel that it depends on your fish and how they are reacting to the flow.

well they do seem to keep to the side of the tank furthest from the filter. Have tried making the spray bar holes wider but no luck. i am trying to find a solution to run the spray bars length ways on my tank, but the hose is 15mm and not the standard 16mm. Not sure how crucial the 1mm is.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2021, 06:31:36 AM »
Short term the other thing you could try is repositioning the spray bar slightly.
Put it perhaps around 10cm below the surface of the water and have the holes pointing upwards at an angle of around 45 degrees.
The strongest flow is then directed more towards the surface of the water than straight across the tank, which may help lower/redirect the flow rate in the rest of the tank..
Is the spray bar in one section, or several sections? One of the spray bars I had came in 3 sections, and if you have one like this you could leave the spray bar in a more horizontal position, but spin one section around so the holes are facing the wall of the tank. Again, point the holes slightly upwards too so you avoid the flow heading down the wall of the tank and disturbing the substrate.
Let us know how you get on, and perhaps post some pics of the spray bar set up in the tank and we'll try to give some more suggestions.

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2021, 10:21:40 AM »
@Littlefish

Here is pic of my outflow. It doesnt come with a 90 degree turn to run along length of tank so can only use one bit of spray bay, and it i hook it over the side of the tank the bar is too high.

Someone has told me i could replace my 15mm tube for 16mm tube, which means i can get a new outlet, but nervous with the 1mm difference and water leaks.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2021, 07:07:23 PM »
I've had a quick look on the APS site and watched the clip for setting up the filter. Although it seemed like quite a snug fit when they were attaching the hose I can understand your concern about leaks.
I would also suggest that it is probably best to use the hoses & parts that come with a filter, but if you were to decide to change the hose for a standard size I guess you could always consider using some PTFE tape on the nozzles before attaching the new hose. If you did that I think you'd still have to make a judgement call on whether you feel the hose fit is tight enough and monitor very closely for any sign of leaks.
If there were any issues you could easily change back to the original hoses.
I think if it were me I might have another go at making the holes in the spray bar larger, but then I do have quite a collection of small/narrow files which are very handy for that sort of thing.
Whatever alterations made to a filtration system there are risks, although those alterations may also make a difference to the happiness of your fish and their use of the whole tank.
Best of luck and let us know what you decide.  :)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Filter size too much"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
1 Replies
Last post September 25, 2014, 11:58:00 AM
by Sue
2 Replies
Last post January 10, 2015, 08:15:32 PM
by fcmf
1 Replies
Last post February 13, 2015, 05:59:27 PM
by bferg4
4 Replies
Last post May 06, 2015, 11:59:14 AM
by Sue
1 Replies
Last post April 02, 2018, 02:21:29 PM
by Littlefish
21 Replies
Last post July 06, 2019, 09:34:36 AM
by Littlefish
3 Replies
Last post September 15, 2020, 03:17:49 PM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: