Aquanano 40 Noisy Pump...SOS ColinB!

Author Topic: Aquanano 40 noisy pump...SOS ColinB!  (Read 14421 times) 9 replies

Offline Loubaa

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Aquanano 40 noisy pump...SOS ColinB!
« on: May 15, 2014, 03:51:19 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi there Colin (I know he has this tank but words of wisdom from anyone are most welcome!)

I'm having a problem with my pump. It was very noisy when I first put it and I read somewhere that turning it upside down works - it did! And all was peaceful.... until this morning. The pump is blowing lots of little air bubbles into the water, which for one thing makes the water look quite murky.

I have also noticed that the water level in the pump/filter section is a few cm lower than in the tank so the top of the pump (or bottom now it's upside down) is above the water. If I try to top it up so the water covers the pump, the noise stops but the water level goes back down within a few seconds, and the pump starts making a noise again.

The weird thing is that it was OK for weeks - no noise issues. I can't work out what has changed except that yesterday I put in some plants and replace some of the water because a lot of grot from the plants got into the water. Could the muck from the plants be blocking the filter in some way and stopping the flow?

I haven't done any of the adaptations you suggested yet, and I haven't put any extras in the filter either.

Any ideas?
Thanks

Offline Resa

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Aquanano 40 noisy pump...SOS ColinB!
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 04:00:59 PM »
Never eat yellow snow

....sorry, that's all the words of wisdom I have  ;)

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline ColinB

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 04:04:16 PM »
It could be an idea to take the pump out and strip it down - it pulls apart so you don't need any tools. Pull the impellor out and use a cotton bud to clean up inside the impellor housing.

The water level in the pump section will always be a bit lower than the main tank (mine's about 1cm down, but it varies) as it's pumps out faster than it draws in, until the extra water head can push the water through the filter and balance the in/out volumes.

I find that it's best to have the pump the right way up, but tilted slightly over to one side, and enough water in the tank to cover the hole where the wire goes into the top of the filter. Even so, I get a quick splurge of bubbles every so often.

You could give the sponge a squeeze in some tank water if it looks a bit mucky on the top.

Hope this helps.

....and beware zombies! (That's my words of wisdom  ;D )

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Loubaa

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 06:07:05 PM »
And always wear clean underwear - you never know when you're going to get run over.  ;)

I filled my tank almost to the top - about 1cm from the top - now. Is that too full? It's in a classroom so it's a bit irritating to say the least - and my job share keeps turning off the pump because it's so loud which can't be much good for my cycle!

Anyway I will try the things you suggest, I will keep away from zombies and I will certainly NEVER eat any snow of any kind.

Offline Puffin

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2014, 10:34:48 PM »
How's it going Loubaa?
I was glad I read this earlier today as I had the same problem, which I sorted by doing as Colin said and topping up the water. Tank is now very full though!
Hoping to get some mature media from maidenhead aquatics tomorrow to kick start the cycle (and so I actually have some filter media! Did your tank come with it included?)

Offline Dawnrosie

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2015, 08:53:35 PM »
Hi All,

I've just had my tank the AquaNano for less than a week and had the same problem. I've also turned it upside down as theres just not enough room to twist it sideways with the heater next to it? Makes more sense to me to have it upside down as then the switch is on the top? Just hope it doesn't burn out?

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2015, 09:49:00 PM »
I had problems with my Aquanano 40 after a few weeks. I turned the pump upside down and reduced the flow rate. It's a powerful pump and almost forms a vortex in the tank when on full blast as I don't have the nozzle bit. I find even on a low setting the water circulation is great and I have no water quality issues whatsoever. You do need to keep the tank topped up but about an inch from the top works for me! Good luck!

Checkered Barb (3) - Endler's Livebearer (5) - Galaxy Rasbora (7) -

Offline Dawnrosie

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2015, 10:23:59 PM »
tks Cod, its actually about 1/2 inch from the top at mo, its a bit noisy but not too bad. I have it on the lowest setting now as well. Looking forward to getting my fish on Friday! Killifish :)

Offline Dawnrosie

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2015, 04:51:57 PM »
Ive removed the carbon pad as the water level in the pump chamber kept dropping but even with that it then went on to drop by about 4 inches! Ive now got a little gap under the remaining filter pad will that be ok? ie will the water still be flowing through the filter enough do you think?

Offline ColinB

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2015, 12:33:30 PM »
It sounds very much like you've got a serious restriction somewhere in your filter. The level difference between the main tank and the pump compartment is about 5mm in my tank. I'd take all your filter material out and give them a good rinse and/or squeeze in old tank water and repack.

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Aquanano 40 noisy pump...SOS ColinB!"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
15 Replies
Last post January 06, 2013, 09:02:52 PM
by Scooter User
13 Replies
Last post August 28, 2013, 08:03:00 AM
by ColinB
4 Replies
Last post May 23, 2014, 06:55:30 AM
by Puffin
5 Replies
Last post January 09, 2015, 12:21:58 PM
by Aquamaid
6 Replies
Last post January 28, 2015, 05:30:04 PM
by Fiona
33 Replies
Last post May 29, 2015, 04:04:34 PM
by AdyDnt
3 Replies
Last post August 30, 2020, 07:49:27 AM
by Johno2009

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: