Author Topic: Air Powered Sponge Filter  (Read 5251 times) 30 replies

Offline Skittler

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Shrimpaholic
Air Powered Sponge Filter
« on: April 10, 2020, 02:25:38 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hello All,

I have decided to replace the Aqua One 320 filter in my "45L" shrimp/oto tank. I have never been happy with it, and it seems to be on its last legs. The tank has an internal volume of about 36L. After much research, air powered seems to be the way to go. A major consideration is noise, as my next door neighbour sleeps with her head (unknowingly!) about 4 feet from from the tank ........ and she is not the type to annoy ...... I do know!

The Eheim air 100 is generally highly rated, and has an adjustable flow, and is supplied with a non-return valve. Any thoughts?

And then there are the sponge filters, of which I know nothing. Are they all a compatible pipe size? (3mm i/d??). What size sponge would I need? Which do you think is the best? Thanking you in advance for your experience,

Skittler

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Air Powered Sponge Filter
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2020, 04:00:13 PM »
I have an Eheim air pump powering the sponge filter in my betta's tank (I can't remember which model but it's the smallest one). It sits on the kitchen worktop next the the tank, on an old Juwel sponge which deadens the sound nicely. The only time I hear any real noise from it is when something has been pushed against the pump.

The sponge filter itself is an Aqua One Filter Air, again the smallest size because it's in a 23 litre tank. They do make different sizes although this link shows just one https://www.aquaoneonline.co.uk/aqua-one-air-filter-136-7684-p.asp I was advised to get this one as it has a weighted base. Those that stick on the glass with suckers apparently stop working if the suckers come unstuck and the filter floats.It also has a hollow core which the instructions say can be filled with carbon - and in that case it can also be filled with mature media.

Should you find that whichever pump you go with created too strong a flow, a 2 way manifold can be put into the airline tubing, and the spare tap used to bleed air from the system and slow the flow.

Offline Skittler

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Shrimpaholic
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2020, 07:07:40 PM »
Thank you Sue,

I think, as a stop gap, I am going to install my spare filter, which I will fill with mature media. It's an MA Aqua 50, which you have discussed in the past. It's not going to be ideal for baby shrimps, but at least it should be reliable. I have to say, the lack of adequate information on some manufacturer's websites doesn't impress me! Eventually, (whenever that is), I will visit a local LFS, which stocks both Eheim and Aqua One, and have a look.

Thanks again,

Skittler

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2020, 10:45:09 PM »
Hi @Skittler

Have you considered the following Dennerle filter:

https://dennerle.com/en/products/nano-aquaristic/filtration/filters/nano-corner-filter

They also do an additional clip-on baby shrimp guard:

https://dennerle.com/en/products/nano-aquaristic/filtration/filter-accessories/nano-babyprotect

I have never used one of these filters but I've known about them and the attachment for some time. I think you'll find some reviews on the internet.

I'd be very interested in knowing if you decide to get this filter and attachment combo.

JPC

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2020, 11:00:55 PM »
I have to say, the lack of adequate information on some manufacturer's websites doesn't impress me!

Hi @Skittler

To quote that well-known expression "Tell me about it!". There are very few aquatics companies that provide adequate, accurate and meaningful (technical) information about their products. I have a particular interest in aquarium lighting and I often don't know whether to laugh or cry with the so-called 'information' provided by some manufacturers of aquarium lighting. It's a shame.

JPC

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2020, 01:58:47 PM »
Have you considered the following Dennerle filter:
https://dennerle.com/en/products/nano-aquaristic/filtration/filters/nano-corner-filter
On the basis of good reviews about how quiet/gentle it is, I actually bought this recently as a back-up filter for my QT/hospital tank. Admittedly, I haven't yet used it but, if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2020, 10:57:42 PM »
On the basis of good reviews about how quiet/gentle it is, I actually bought this recently as a back-up filter for my QT/hospital tank. Admittedly, I haven't yet used it but, if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Hi @fcmf

Please let us know when you start using this filter. It looks like a real gem.

JPC

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2020, 02:56:29 PM »
I don't anticipate using it soon. Bendy Harley is in the isolation/care-home tank and seems quite stabilised (in all senses of the term) in there; in the event he has TB, I don't want to be contaminating the new filter unnecessarily.

However, the one aspect of it that may be off-putting for folk is the "filter element" - see photos attached [sorry - could not put the filter element on as one photo, so had to cut the photo into two - top part and bottom part - although it's all one]. The recommendation is that this is replaced every 3-6 months. Usually, I'd replace this with sponge/foam media but then either would have no hole up the centre for the filter water to flow freely or would have to find a piece of the same thickness as the "filter fleece" to wrap round the plastic structure. Not as convenient as I'd anticipated.

Offline Skittler

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Shrimpaholic
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2020, 03:02:17 PM »
Thank you both. That does look a possibility. I particularly like the baby shrimp guard.

I have installed the Aqua 50, and lo and behold, the filter looks nothing like the instruction leaflet! I have packed it with mature media from the 125L, and put the remainder of the foam pad in the tank next to the filter. The cherry shrimp are loving it.

At the time of the swap over, I had 0.25 ml of ammonia in the tank, probably due to the unreliability of the old filter, so, I have added a dose of Prime. (That probably explains why there were two nerites on the carpet (both OK)). As I type, 4 hours later, everything looks fine, with the otos and shrimp behaving normally. Will keep you posted, thanks again,

Skittler

Offline Skittler

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Shrimpaholic
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2020, 10:51:02 AM »
Well, this morning all creatures were behaving normally .......... however, NH3 had increased to 0.5. A 50% w/c was done with double prime. hopefully the new filter will perform soon.

I do wonder if my 125L, where the mature media came from, is possibly well over the required capacity for the tank. It is "nominally" 125L v 50L, but the 125 has about 15 times the foam volume, and is physically about 20 times bigger. Odd? Perhaps there are, therefore, less bacteria per cubic centimetre in the 125L, and the 50L will have to work hard to catch up. Any thoughts?

Skittler

Offline Sue

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2020, 03:15:59 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Are there any plants in the 125, as these take up ammonia faster than the bacteria so with a heavily planted tank there are not as many 'filter' bacteria as in a tank with no live plants.
And a lot of the 'filter' bacteria live elsewhere in the tank as well as the filter.

There are probably not nearly as many bacteria in the filter as we might think.

Offline Skittler

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Shrimpaholic
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2020, 06:19:35 PM »
That's a good point Sue. The 125 is very heavily planted - a bit of a jungle really. The Shrimpery is fairly heavily planted.

Skittler

Offline Skittler

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Shrimpaholic
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2020, 11:03:05 AM »
I didn't feed yesterday, in an attempt to reduce the NH3 input into the tank. This morning, the ammonia level has fallen to 0.25. Hopefully I am on the right path.

I will feed a little today as everything else appears normal. Also, the 4 otos are relatively new, and I want to make sure that they stay well fed. My intention is 8 o.macrospilus, but it will probably be some weeks before I can get the next 2.

Skittler

Offline Skittler

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Shrimpaholic
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2020, 12:19:28 PM »
Happy days. The ammonia has fallen to what I call "0". Like many others, I never see the shade of yellow that is on the API test kit card. Everything in the tank appears normal, with the male red cherries hunting females, and the otos bumbling around. So now, they will be in "self isolation" too, while I wait and see how the stock of shrimps is affected, before making a final decision on the filter.
Thanks for your help and advice, as always,

Skittler

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2020, 03:40:23 PM »
Glad to hear this, keep us updated!

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2020, 09:16:26 PM »
Great news.  :)

Offline Skittler

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Shrimpaholic
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2020, 07:14:28 PM »
Well, I got fed up waiting for access to an LFS, (I hate queues as well), so, I am now the proud owner of an Eheim 100 air pump, and a Powkoo air filter. Both seem to be well made. I am hoping to start cycling the sponge tomorrow.

A question. The inside of the filter sponge is a hollow cylinder. The two ends are connected by a plastic "strainer". As Sue has mentioned above with her very similar Aqua One version, this is presumably for carbon etc. I would like to put some crushed coral in there, as I do in my 125L internal, to help with my soft water (kH2 gH2-3). I prefer to keep my Cherry shrimp at gH6-8. Can anyone see a problem with this?

Skittler

Offline Sue

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2020, 07:51:37 PM »
I would give it a try. Provided the air can pass through I can't see a problem.

I like the Eheim air pump with its variable output dial.

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2020, 09:37:48 PM »
...I am now the proud owner of an Eheim 100 air pump, and a Powkoo air filter. Both seem to be well made. I am hoping to start cycling the sponge tomorrow.

A question. The inside of the filter sponge is a hollow cylinder. The two ends are connected by a plastic "strainer". As Sue has mentioned above with her very similar Aqua One version, this is presumably for carbon etc. I would like to put some crushed coral in there, as I do in my 125L internal, to help with my soft water (kH2 gH2-3). I prefer to keep my Cherry shrimp at gH6-8. Can anyone see a problem with this?

Hi @Skittler

I can't see any problem with your suggestion. BTW, how do you plan to cycle the sponge?

JPC

Offline LeakysLab

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
  • Simon
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2020, 11:30:56 PM »
I currently use the Eheim air pump with dual outlets that have variable control. It used in the main tank with the internal filter to provide additional air/surface agitation and the sponge is cycled read for any re deployment.

I never thought to add any bio media in the middle section, I have the AquaOne sponges! I will take one apart (as I have two spare) and see if I can get any in there!  :cheers:

EDIT: I actually have the 400 variant of this pump. Shows how much I pay attention to the boxes.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Pygmy Cory (6) - Sparkling Gourami (1) - Ember Tetra (10) - Marbled Hatchetfish (6) - Cardinal Tetra (12) - Sterbas Cory (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Air Powered Sponge Filter"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
5 Replies
Last post April 08, 2013, 02:54:44 PM
by suep
4 Replies
Last post June 04, 2014, 06:20:26 AM
by MaidinBelfast
2 Replies
Last post November 19, 2014, 10:27:05 PM
by biffster
53 Replies
Last post April 06, 2016, 11:07:16 PM
by Fiona
3 Replies
Last post May 19, 2016, 10:47:16 AM
by Fiona
4 Replies
Last post December 10, 2016, 06:35:52 AM
by Matt
10 Replies
Last post September 01, 2019, 09:12:05 PM
by sharpandroid

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: