Plants In My Tanks

Author Topic: Plants in my tanks  (Read 6905 times) 15 replies

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Plants in my tanks
« on: June 26, 2014, 04:26:36 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Over the last few weeks, I have been putting real plants in my tanks and have now just removed the last of the fake ones - though they are in a box just in case. I have used the "easy" section on Tropica's website for inspiration, and also trying out Richard W's idea of putting some in pots.

180 litre tank

2 x 30w T8 tubes

3 x plastic log/root ornaments covered with java fern and a small anubias
wood (sold as mangrove root) with java fern
plantpot with 'amazon sword' (that's all the label said)
plantpot with Echinodorus ozelot red
rock with Anubias hastifolia
red moor wood draped with hornwort

50 litre tank

1 x 15w T8 tube

plastic root ornament with java fern and small anubias
half coconut shell with java fern
wood with Anubias hastifolia at one end and Bolbitis heudelotii at the other
red moor wood with Monosolenium tenerum tied to the branches and hornwort wrapped round them

Betta's tank

LED light, no strength given just 500 mA output written on transformer

wood with java fern
half plantpot cave with java fern
hornwort looped through terracotta plant weight to stop it floating
amazon sword planted in sand

I have had the ornaments with java fern & anubias for years, so long that I've forgotten what the anubias is. The amazon sword contained a large piece and a small piece - the large one is in the 180l tank and the small one in the betta's tank. I am aware that if it grows it will get too big for this tank, but I'm still not convinced anything other than java fern will survive in my tanks. With exception of the two Echinodorus, anyone who knows about plants will have noticed that the rest do not grow planted in the substrate. I seem to have more success with that type of plant.

Now to the questions. Obviously I can't use root tabs for the vast majority of these plants. I have a bottle of Flourish for micro-nutrients. The two larger tanks are both stocked quite heavily so is that enough for the macro-nutrients or should I be adding something else? The betta's tank is very understocked with just one betta and a small snail. Should I be adding anything to that? And what about the LED light, java fern grows OK but will the other plants in there die off through lack of light?

Those of you with gorgeous planted tanks will no doubt be highly amused with my little efforts  :-[

Offline foxhound

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Re: Plants in my tanks
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 10:35:19 PM »
I found from my past experience that a co2 diffuser was a great addition to my tank when I had real plants however I would strongly look up the best solution for your needs i found that getting the bubbles dispersed took a little fine tuning and I made my own rather than spend £SILLY! but again it is only my opinion and there are bound to be some other guys on here that will have more experience.

Offline ColinB

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 07:50:27 AM »
I'd go with the ColinB Method ©:

Step 1. Buy a plant you like the look of and plant it.
Step 2. If it dies, throw it away.
Step 3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 until it doesn't die.

Works every time for me! ;D

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2014, 10:56:31 AM »
Foxhound - my lighting is very low-light and my plants are slow growing. From what I understand, I don't need CO2 under these conditions.

Colin - that's the method I've always used, and that's how I discovered about java fern  :D

Offline SteveS

• With apologies to M.C.Escher
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 04:17:57 AM »
Over the last few weeks, I have been putting real plants in my tanks and have now just removed the last of the fake ones - though they are in a box just in case. I have used the "easy" section on Tropica's website for inspiration, and also trying out Richard W's idea of putting some in pots.
Sue's a "newbie!" :) Whee Hee.  ;D She's asking dumb questions. ;D ERROR: Does not compute. DANGER: Will Robinson!
Be at ease my little fearful one, we have a great and knowledgeable hero amongst us who will answer your questions...  :isay: No, hold on a minute, that's you.  How do you expect all this stuff to work if you go and change the rules. [moan]Moderator's ::)[/moan], [mumble]Never a by your leave[/mumble], [murmer]just up and ask questions[/murmer] :rotfl:

Sorry, fun and games over. To begin with, I would like to apologise for the delay in answering your question, but this time of year is always difficult for me with Wimbledon on 38 hours a day; Then once every four years, we get the World Cup and soon, coming to a screen near you, the Commonwealth Games! And the reply got a bit longer than I was anticipating [EDIT: A lot longer...]

I just know that you are aware of the following, but I have put it here as a brief introduction for any other plant newbies who may be lurking around.  Aquatic plants require a number of nutrients in order to survive. It requires a lot of some nutrients and a little of the others. These are called, rather unimaginatively, macro and micro nutrients. According to Wikipaedia, the Macro Nutrients are : nitrogen (N), phosphorus (P), potassium (K), calcium (Ca), magnesium (Mg), and sulphur (S). The Micro Nutrients are :  boron (B), chlorine (Cl), copper (Cu), iron (Fe), manganese (Mn), molybdenum (Mo), zinc (Zn) and nickel (Ni).

Now to the questions. Obviously I can't use root tabs for the vast majority of these plants. I have a bottle of Flourish for micro-nutrients. The two larger tanks are both stocked quite heavily so is that enough for the macro-nutrients or should I be adding something else?
Aquatic plants are more adaptable as to the source for these nutrients over their terrestrial equivalents. Rather than having to rely on elaborate rooting systems they can absorb these nutrients directly from the water column; But, regardless of whether they root in the substrate or not, their requirements are the same. So thinking about this logically, we can provide these nutrients via the roots using a root tab or utilising nutrients "built-in" to the substrate; Or we can use a water-borne solution such as Flourish to provide them; Or we can cover all our bases by providing both. If you have a mix of these types of plants, this is probably the sensible way forward.

The "au naturel" source for the macro nutrients, is mixed. We get P and K from fishfood, N from nitrates, Ca and Mg from the "hardness" in our water and S from... I'm not really sure where the sulphur comes from... finally oxygen (O) and carbon (C) comes from the natural respiration of organisms within our tanks and from natural gas-exchange at the surface. The latter two item (C and O) aren't normally listed as nutrients for some reason.

That should partially answer your question. Unfortunately, it's the part of the question to which you more or less provided the answer. The second part of the question, the part you don't appear to know, is "Should I add some more, if so, how much?" This is one of those open ended questions that it is impossible for a third party to answer, It depends upon so many variables that the only sensible answer to "How much" is "Enough!" Plants have a list of requirements, we have seen some of them regarding diet, there are others like temperature, type and quantity of light provided, disturbance by fish, hardness of water, and so-on. A plant will grow until one of these becomes a limiting factor, It's called the "Law of the Minimum". If a plant is short of Boron, it doesn't matter how much manganese you throw at it, it will still struggle. "Hey stupid, I want Boron not Manganese!"

What would nice is general analysis kit so we could test values for everything. It would be pretty expensive though, setting up our own biochemical lab. Being an ex-Biochemist, you may have one at home though ;) So we use an alternative. We can check a list such as THIS ONE to cross-reference symptoms of a disorder in our plants with a list of nutrients that will give this effect and adjust our supplements accordingly.

NOTE: Just a note about Flourish. The indication here is that Flourish is one product. It is not. It is a family of products:
  • Flourish
  • Flourish Excel
  • Flourish Iron
  • Flourish Nitrogen
  • Flourish Potassium
  • Flourish Phosphorus
Each will provide only some of the nutrients.

The betta's tank is very understocked with just one betta and a small snail. Should I be adding anything to that? And what about the LED light, java fern grows OK but will the other plants in there die off through lack of light?
The addition of plant supplements isn't really related to stocking levels, it depends on whether there are enough nutrients; As only some of these are related to fish and their feeding, we still need to allow for the other stuff on the list.

As for your light... The manufacturer might know the output from such a device, they may even tell you what the output was if you asked them nicely (but don't rely on it). I could only guess. And it would be a wild blind stab-in-the-dark at that. I can only offer the following. Fluorescent tubes, T5 and T8 anyway, are mature reliable technology, T8 from the 1920's and T5 from the 1940's believe it or not. LED for incident lighting (ie lighting spaces, not the power-on status of MrSue's Hi-Fi0 is new and constantly changing. New devices are being developed constantly, old devices are becoming cheaper to manufacture. So the older, and cheaper a device is, the less likely it is to be of any real value to a plant-grower like yourself.

Finally, (voices-off: "Thank God!"). CO2. If we are going to be using state-of-art technology like
I'd go with the ColinB Method ©:
Step 1. Buy a plant you like the look of and plant it.
Step 2. If it dies, throw it away.
Step 3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 until it doesn't die.
Works every time for me! ;D
The horticultural equivalent of the"Rhythm Method" :o, there seems to be little point to getting serious enough to add CO2. Your large tank is too big to use the cheap fermentation type in any case. If you become a serious planted tank boffin, you would need a pressurised supply. If not, I don't have a particular issue with this; Some of us bought a tank to keep fish, the plants are solely to keep the fish happy. It's more or less my approach too. I have zero interest in the plants themselves, I just don't like the artificial ones.

Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 11:58:14 AM »
Thank you for your detailed reply Steve. I am in the 'bought the tank for fish and a few live plants would be nice' category  :D It's seeing all these photos of planted tanks that made me ashamed of my fake plants  :-\

The Flourish is just Flourish, nothing else in the name. It says on the bottle you have to add nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium separately. Since I am in the 'lightly planted' category I was fairly sure there would be enough of those from the fish food and nitrogen cycle in the 180 and 50 litre tanks, but I wasn't sure if I'd need to add them to the betta's tank. I should say that tank is nominally 32 litres, but that not only includes the glass but also the air inside the imaginary line going round the decorative tank frame. It's more like 26 litres in reality. My GH (ie calcium/magnesium) isn't too bad, it's only KH that's low.
I really can't be bothered having heavily planted tanks and getting into Estimative Index. I'll leave that to the people who want planted tanks with a few fish.
I have just T8 tubes, and they work out as 0.3 watts per litre for both tanks, or 1.2 watts per gallon (US gallon). Reading an article by George Farmer, CO2 isn't necessary for anything under 2 watts per gall with easy plants. And I can't be bothered with drop checkers either  :-\

If I've understood you correctly, with my lightly planted tanks the way to go is carry on as I have been (dosing just Flourish) and watch the plants. They'll tell me if they need anything else. I have bookmarked that link!

Oh, and I'm an ex-chemist who took biochemistry as the auxillary subject  ;) I preferred biochemistry but couldn't memorise all those metabolic pathways needed to pass exams. Chemistry was easier.

Offline SteveS

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2014, 06:58:36 AM »
If I've understood you correctly, with my lightly planted tanks the way to go is carry on as I have been (dosing just Flourish) and watch the plants. They'll tell me if they need anything else. I have bookmarked that link!
I think that just about covers it.  It's sad that you did it in 2.5 sentences whereas my attempt was a just a tad (well a tadette actually) longer.  :raspberries

... but also the air inside the imaginary line going round the decorative tank frame.
Can you explain this please. I'm not being a pedant... for a change... but I can't get my brain round the concept of any sort of decorative line round your tank having a significant effect on the volume,. For an imaginary one to do so just leaves me reeling.

Oh, and I'm an ex-chemist who took biochemistry as the auxillary subject  ;) I preferred biochemistry but couldn't memorise all those metabolic pathways needed to pass exams. Chemistry was easier.
I only got as far a CSE Chemistry. But it did give rise to my most fatuous school report entry Chemistry  Term:94% Exam:97% Comment: Stephen must really try to work harder.

Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -

Offline dbaggie

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Fishkeeping - trickier than it looks...
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2014, 07:48:55 AM »
Hi Sue

I'm definitely no plant expert but seem to have managed decent plant growth with relatively little effort so thought it may just be worth providing some of my observations (I don't think I could add to science already provided!).

I have a plain gravel substrate (2-3mm) with no soil base or anything like that and the only 'ferts' I've added to the tank are some root tabs (nothing added to the water column). I considered adding CO2 but decided against it for the same reasons you've given.

I have prominently rooted plants, most of which were grown from stems/cuttings (Ebay  :) ) but do have a fair amount of Java fern and Java moss attached to a large piece of bogwood.

My plants were so-so whilst my tank was still immature but seemed to improve markedly once my tank reached the 4-5 months old mark. Now this could be down to the fact that my tank is pretty well stocked - around 80% according to the community creator - and quite a number if my fish were added as juveniles so had a fair bit of growing to do, probably reaching the fish equivalent of teenagers at the 4-5 month mark and therefore producing quite a bit of natural ferts by that point.

However, I also added the root tabs around this time along with brand new twin T5 bulbs so I can't really pin the improvement down to one factor, although the improved (but still slow) growth and health of the Java fern & moss rules out the root tabs as being the only source of improvement.

Just to add, I generally only go for 'easy' plants and use the Colin B method (patent pending?) with a slight modification - if a plant doesn't grow well I cut it back quite severely to see whether any new growth comes before getting rid.

Offline chris213

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • were going to need a bigger tank
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2014, 09:25:08 AM »
my plants are growing to well , i need someone to invent a strimmer for a fish tank to help keep there growth down  :vcross:

Offline Sue

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2014, 10:01:14 AM »

... but also the air inside the imaginary line going round the decorative tank frame.
Can you explain this please. I'm not being a pedant... for a change... but I can't get my brain round the concept of any sort of decorative line round your tank having a significant effect on the volume,. For an imaginary one to do so just leaves me reeling.

This is the tank in question. It has a decorative plastic trim at the corners which, as you can see in the photo, stick out further than the glass. If you imagine a length of string wrapped round the outside of the tank it will go round the plastic trim leaving a gap between the string and the glass. This gap of air between the glass and the string is included in the quoted tank volume  >:(

I have just noticed the website now says my tank is 30 litres. The box mine came in definitely said 32 litres.

Your report reminds me of my lower 6 end of year report where I had a 'satisfactory' in a subject I didn't do  ???

Offline SteveS

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2014, 12:49:44 PM »
Your report reminds me of my lower 6 end of year report where I had a 'satisfactory' in a subject I didn't do  ???
Perhaps you got Satisfactory, because you didn't do it!  ::)

Offline Richard W

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2014, 01:28:02 PM »
I'm now totally convinced that fish make all the difference to plant growth. Given a reasonably stocked tank, they should provide enough CO2 to meet all easy plant's requirements and the fish food, either directly or indirectly (via poo and other excretory means) will include all of the necessary fertilisers. Of course, if you are an obsessive gravel vaccer and water changer, you will greatly reduce these fertilisers.

However, I have noticed that some plants thrive in some tanks and others in different tanks, for no very obvious reason. Amazon Sword has grown like crazy in a couple of my tanks, but totally failed and died out in others. The same applies to several other plant species. All of the tanks were set up in the same way and the only differences are size ( 60 - 120 litre) and lighting, all have basic T8 bulbs, but some have more power relative to tank size than others. The only consistent feature I can see is that those tanks with the lights that supposedly have the correct output to suit plants have the worst plant growth! Cheap "ordinary daylight" tubes just seem to give a much brighter light for the same power in comparison to the "special" tubes and that seems to benefit the plants.

Offline Sue

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2014, 04:23:44 PM »
I emailed Aqua One about the light on my betta's tank. They said

Led lighting have a much lower wattage than standard aquarium lights.

The Aqua space 40 is only 2.8w.

However lighting can also be measured in Par, the Aqua space 40 lights at a distance of 30cm has a par reading of 35.

Anyone know what that means  ???

Offline ColinB

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2014, 04:37:33 PM »
I emailed Aqua One about the light on my betta's tank. They said

Led lighting have a much lower wattage than standard aquarium lights.

The Aqua space 40 is only 2.8w.

However lighting can also be measured in Par, the Aqua space 40 lights at a distance of 30cm has a par reading of 35.

Anyone know what that means  ???

It's all here.

Extract: Light intensity can be measured in lux, which is the intensity as perceived by human eyes. Or, it can be measured in PAR units, which is the intensity as perceived by plants. PAR is an acronym for “photosynthetically active radiation” - the radiation (light) that is used by plants for photosynthesis. The units of PAR are micromols of photons per square meter per second. So, a PAR of 1 is one millionth of a mole of photons striking a one square meter area every second.

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline Sue

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2014, 04:48:26 PM »
So, if I have 35 par at 30cm, that puts my light right at the bottom of medium. I think.

Offline ColinB

« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2014, 05:02:27 PM »
So, if I have 35 par at 30cm, that puts my light right at the bottom of medium. I think.

Looks like it.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Plants in my tanks"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
6 Replies
Last post September 27, 2012, 05:11:57 PM
by Sue
4 Replies
Last post October 26, 2012, 07:31:11 AM
by Don
5 Replies
Last post March 17, 2015, 02:13:44 PM
by SteveS
5 Replies
Last post July 02, 2015, 01:46:19 PM
by Fiona
9 Replies
Last post August 01, 2015, 09:08:35 PM
by Extreme_One
102 Replies
Last post July 13, 2016, 02:04:47 PM
by Littlefish
43 Replies
Last post June 20, 2016, 12:59:39 PM
by Fiona

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: