Limnobium Laevigatum Tropica 1-2 Grow

Author Topic: Limnobium laevigatum Tropica 1-2 Grow  (Read 4195 times) 10 replies

Offline LeakysLab

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
  • Simon
Limnobium laevigatum Tropica 1-2 Grow
« on: June 27, 2020, 03:01:42 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hey everyone  :wave:

I brought some Limnobium laevigatum Tropica 1-2 Grow recently and I have pest snails in my tank which I don’t really mind and they haven’t been any trouble. I usually keep the population down as much as possible but since adding this floating plant the snails have been destroying them as I’ve noticed their little mouths rasping on the plant leaves from underneath and while there is some new growth, they are just getting Decimated while the other plants are not being eaten.

Now I understand that there is information out there that suggests the plants are eaten once dead or dying but that isn’t the case as the f.plants are growing strong thick roots. So has anyone got any ideas??

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Pygmy Cory (6) - Sparkling Gourami (1) - Ember Tetra (10) - Marbled Hatchetfish (6) - Cardinal Tetra (12) - Sterbas Cory (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
Re: Limnobium laevigatum Tropica 1-2 Grow
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2020, 09:36:30 PM »
This does seem strange... do you have a lot of flow in the tank which is submerging the plants? For the leaves appear healthy?

Offline LeakysLab

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
  • Simon
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2020, 10:48:44 AM »
Not really I will try and up load some pictures later to help me explain what’s going on. I did have the plants penned in with thread but when I noticed them going south I removed it and let them be free. Now they seem to be drawn to the outlet of the filter box. Occasionally I will find one caught up submerged and dancing around with the flow.

Pygmy Cory (6) - Sparkling Gourami (1) - Ember Tetra (10) - Marbled Hatchetfish (6) - Cardinal Tetra (12) - Sterbas Cory (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline LeakysLab

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
  • Simon
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2020, 05:25:05 PM »
Some images should be attached. The final picture shows the plants now penned back in

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2020, 05:53:05 PM »
I can't comment on the snails factor but, any time I've kept these plants, that's *exactly* how they become, then seem to get 'singed' by the light and deteriorate further / die.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2020, 06:01:31 PM »
I don't have much luck with floating plants as my tanks tend to have quite a bit of surface movement.
Condensation dripping off the lid and onto the surface of the leaves has also caused them to die off in my tanks.

Offline Sue

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2020, 06:49:17 PM »
A lot of floating plants don't like water dripping on their leaves. Years ago I used to have a species of Salvinia and that all died off during a heatwave when there was a lot of condensation under the lid.There's a thread about it on here somewhere.
One plants that copes well with condensation is water sprite, which is what I have in my main tank now.

Found it! Read the posts by Natalia re the salvinia. It may also apply to frogbit.
https://forums.thinkfish.co.uk/fish-tank-plant-advice/plant-die-off/10/

Offline LeakysLab

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
  • Simon
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2020, 06:52:36 PM »
Thank you  :)) I will have a read.

*Edit after reading thread* it is possible that condensation is the cause of the die off leading to the snails eating them. Shame as I really like them. I don’t really want to leave the flaps open on the hood or loose the hood entirely. I took a look at Water sprite but I don’t really like it. Is there any other floating plants that will cope with condensation or is it not something any of them like?

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2020, 07:56:46 PM »
I believe duckweed is a bit more robust but I’ve not tried it in a closed top tank before personally. Brasilia pennywort can also be grown floating, I imagine it might fare better too.

Offline LeakysLab

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
  • Simon
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2020, 05:08:35 PM »
Thanks I’ll take a look at them too  :cheers:

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2020, 09:39:31 PM »
I brought some Limnobium laevigatum Tropica 1-2 Grow recently and I have pest snails in my tank which I don’t really mind and they haven’t been any trouble.

Hi @LeakysLab

I realize that this is an old(ish) thread. But I'd be interested in knowing what species of snail you have in your tank. Or, are they history now? And how is the Amazon Frogbit? Did it survive?

JPC

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Limnobium laevigatum Tropica 1-2 Grow"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
1 Replies
Last post November 24, 2014, 12:11:07 PM
by aga666

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: