Offline MendelJ

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
Holes in leaves
« on: July 21, 2019, 11:32:28 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hello all,

I have a new aquarium set up, now a month old, and seem to be encountering some plant health problems.

The plants seem to be growing new leaves well but soon the slightly older leaves look a bit dull then develop holes in them.

The tank base is ca 2 inches of plant soil with a layer of black sand over it. Plants are in the soil. Tank fully cycled with 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and pH7.
For the first 2 weeks I was a bit patchy with adding the fertiliser and liquid CO2 (NT Labs plant boost and liquid CO2 boost) but after that it was the daily recommended dose.

The alternanthera rosaefolia is most badly affected then the lysimachia nummularia aurea and cryptocoryne petchii also have some older leaves with holes. They all looked great in the first couple of weeks  :'(

So two topics to ask about really:
What is causing this and how do I stop it happening?
What do I do with the affected plants? Harsh prune? Remove affected leaves off the stem? I am a newbie to aquatic plants (and fish!) so I don’t really know much about their style of regrowth.

Any advice much appreciated!

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Celestial Pearl Danio (2) - Honey Gourami (2) - Japonica Shrimp (9) - Sterbas Cory (9) - Rummy Nose Tetra (8) - Axelrods Rasbora (17) - Bolivian Ram (5) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
Re: Holes in leaves
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2019, 02:56:52 PM »
Your images don't seem to have uploaded properly, but this all sounds pretty normal.  You are getting new leaf growth which is the key, old leaves do tend to get in poor condition sometimes just due to less light and circulation at their base (and they won't repair, plants can't repair their leaves, so removal is the best option else their decomposition will add waste organics to the water column).  You tank and plants sound fairly new too so the leaves will have been grown emersed when you bought them (out of water) and the plant is producing new leaves adapted to submerged growth (under water).

Your fertiliser is a good choice and one I recommend. Don't worry to much about how regularly you are dosing provided that the new growth looks healthy.

Offline MendelJ

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2019, 03:07:34 PM »
Hi Matt,

Thanks for responding! That sounds reassuring. And good to know the kit is one to carry on with!

So should I snip the stems right back so hopefully all the new growth comes back nice and clean? Or simply snip off the bad leaves?
Hopefully these pictures have uploaded 🤞still getting used to this 😁

Is the emersed vs submersed leaf loss what I’ve seen referred to as “melt”?

Celestial Pearl Danio (2) - Honey Gourami (2) - Japonica Shrimp (9) - Sterbas Cory (9) - Rummy Nose Tetra (8) - Axelrods Rasbora (17) - Bolivian Ram (5) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2019, 12:34:33 AM »
Yes this is what is called melt  :cheers:

I would personally either snip the leaves off which need it or if feeling confident in the new growth I would preferably trim the new growth from the top off, discard the bottoms and replant the tops. The plant mass will reduce significantly in your tank were you to trim to the base (encouraging algae) and light levels and co2 will be poor at the bottom of the tank (discouraging new growth). The plants may not also recover from having their heads chopped off!

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2019, 09:35:41 AM »
Hi Joanna,

Welcome to the world of aquarium plants! Not always easy to keep but worth persisting. I have homed in on the following:

[1] What lighting are you using? And how long do you have the lighting on/off?

[2] Which aquarium soil do you have?

[3] The information on NT Labs' web site about Plant Boost is scant to say the least. It appears to only provide trace elements. No mention of the macro elements - nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium. So I have to assume that Plant Boost does indeed supply trace elements only - including iron. Returning to the macro elements, nitrogen is normally in adequate supply from the nitrate in your water. Phosphate is present in fish waste (from the food they eat) and does not need supplementing. Doing so can promote algae growth. Potassium is very important for plant growth. I find the following to be a very useful resource:

http://www.aqua-rebell.com/aquatic-plants.html

You will see that it includes a section on nutrient deficiency symptoms.

JPC

Offline MendelJ

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2019, 06:37:44 PM »
Hi guys,

So I have two Kessil Tuna Sun 130 LEDs and they are on for 8 hours (9-5)
Soil is JBL ProScape Plant Soil
I have got pest snails (bladder and ramshorn) and Amano shrimp but I believe that all of them should only eat dead and decaying matter.

Now I have noticed I made a rooky error when planting...I left the rock wool on 🤦‍♀️
Will this poorly affect the plants? Will removing it do more harm than good?

On Wednesday I’m due to do a water change and try a bit of scaping, so my plan will be to remove rock wool (if recommended) then trim tops of some plants and replant those tops. Then keep my fingers crossed!

If it’s melt I guess I just have to manage any dying leaves and wait for all the plants to get through it :)

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2019, 08:18:03 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
NT Labs Plant Boost contains potassium FYI  :cheers:

Offline MendelJ

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2019, 10:30:16 AM »
Hello everyone!

So my alternanthera has never really recovered...looks unhappy and the new leaves seem to get holes too.

I bought a couple of new plants on Friday to cover up the miserable ones. I didn’t have time to plant so left them in their pots in the tank over the weekend. I look at them this (Monday) morning and find one holey already! :yikes:

Is it possible that pest snails (I think ramshorn and bladder) or Honey gourami would be eating them?!

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2019, 11:57:11 AM »
Amano shrimp do apparently like to snack on this species... I think this might be a losing battle you are entering into unfortunately. You can of course try to keep the shrimp full up on algae wafers but as they are grazers you might not win the war on this one I'm afraid!

Offline MendelJ

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2019, 12:05:14 PM »
I have just started finding articles about this 🙈 I can’t believe it!
I have a new alternanthera reineckeii rosanervig too which hasn’t been eaten (yet) so I will keep an eye on things and if they keep on being grazed I’ll just have to cut my losses. Thanks for your help!

Any recommendations for a red/pink plant with tougher leaves?

....I do love the shrimps but not liking them today....the community tank is obviously a complex relationship 😆

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2019, 12:21:21 PM »
I've personally had most success with Ludwigia palustris

Offline MendelJ

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2019, 12:25:20 PM »
Just looked it up - a gorgeous plant. Would certainly be a good second choice! Thanks for the suggestion ☺️

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Holes in leaves"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
4 Replies
Last post December 12, 2012, 01:05:27 PM
by Chucklett
3 Replies
Last post January 28, 2015, 09:18:48 AM
by naughtymoose
38 Replies
Last post July 15, 2018, 10:30:11 PM
by daveyng
9 Replies
Last post September 19, 2016, 08:06:23 PM
by pandaman
3 Replies
Last post November 17, 2017, 11:09:29 AM
by Rustle
2 Replies
Last post January 07, 2019, 03:27:49 PM
by Sue
55 Replies
Last post January 06, 2020, 05:05:49 PM
by jaypeecee

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: