Hair Algae

Author Topic: Hair Algae  (Read 5380 times) 6 replies

Offline turbominijj

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Hair Algae
« on: November 10, 2014, 02:08:01 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
i have a pritty new 3 month old 200ltr fairly heavily planted tank where my fish and plants seem to be doing pretty well but im getting green hair algae all over the leaves on my amazon sword and my amazon sword alike it is where i can see it as most of the others have fine leaves my water pars are:

25oC
Amonia- 0 (undetectable) accept just after each addition of fish when I get a faint glint of yellow
Nitrite - 0(undetectable) accept just after each addition of fish when I get a faint glint of pink
Nitrate Constant at 5ppm and has been since 4 weeks in dispite adding fish
Phosphate was between 0 and 0.25 last time i tested its the lowest it goes and it was not clear so i marked it as between the two

i have 2x 39w T5HO one fulval life and one power  is on which is on for about 12h
JBL 402 CO2 which runs while the light is
efx 300 external over sized filter

im using JBL ferropol 50ml weekly after my 25% water change + the ferropol 24 which is the daily one i also have jbl root tabs which are about due to be replaced been adding them monthly

everything is nicer with pictures so a pic of my tank

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Japonica Shrimp (6) - Bristlenose Plec (1) - Panda Cory (3) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (3) - Angelfish (5) - Cardinal Tetra (20) - Glass Bloodfin (8) - Siamese Flying Fox (1) - Tiger Barb (10) - Marbled Hatchetfish (1) - Japonica Shrimp (3) - Bristlenose Plec (2) - Angelfish (4) - Ornamental Snails (5) - Cardinal Tetra (1) - Cuckoo Synodontis (1) - Harlequin Rasbora (2) - Rummy Nose Tetra (10) - Rosy Tetra (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline biffster

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • a clean looking tank is not always a safe tank
Re: Hair Algae
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 02:57:08 PM »
check your phosphates and nitrates also try
splitting your light period by putting a timer
on your light 

Offline turbominijj

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 02:09:29 PM »
ammonia 0
nitrites 0
nitrates are 5
phosphates  0 > 0.25 (i cant measure less than 0.25)
kh

The lighting is on a timer so how long a gap in the middle of the day to you guys recommend?

Japonica Shrimp (6) - Bristlenose Plec (1) - Panda Cory (3) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (3) - Angelfish (5) - Cardinal Tetra (20) - Glass Bloodfin (8) - Siamese Flying Fox (1) - Tiger Barb (10) - Marbled Hatchetfish (1) - Japonica Shrimp (3) - Bristlenose Plec (2) - Angelfish (4) - Ornamental Snails (5) - Cardinal Tetra (1) - Cuckoo Synodontis (1) - Harlequin Rasbora (2) - Rummy Nose Tetra (10) - Rosy Tetra (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Richard W

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 02:41:06 PM »
Ultimately algae are plants, with the same physiology as other plants. They use light and carbon dioxide to grow, for which they also need the same nutrients as plants. Anything you do to try to increase plant growth will also encourage algae such as adding CO2 and fertilisers. In particular, algae may be limited by available iron and so adding ferropol may encourage them. I would never add anything unless it was obvious that the plants really need it.

Amazon sword is inclined to get hair algae and once it is there, it is unlikely to ever go away. The best hope is that new leaves will sprout from the bottom and will stay free of it. Algae can actually thrive at lower light levels than most plants, so I doubt if changing the lighting will help much.

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 09:27:55 PM »
I think your problem is too low nitrates. Do you live in a soft water area? I have the same issues. If I don't change my water frequently enough, I have a problem with hair algae, because I add nitrates at water change. Once you get the right level of nitrates, you can pull the hair algae out, cut out the leaves it won't come off and it won't come back. It does seem very odd adding nitrates at water change, when most people are trying to remove them.

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 09:30:45 PM »
By the way, your tank is beautifully designed.

Offline turbominijj

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2014, 10:00:10 AM »
though i would update

after double dosing with Seachem. Flourish Excel has done the trick and killed off most of the guly hair algae i now only have a patch of it that has attached its self to a rock and looks quite nice so i have left it.

And the Excel had done wonders for my plants too everything is growing really nicely

Helen.. Thank you. its the first time i have had tank of this size, first time i have used co2 injection and had a heavily planted tank  and it looks so much nicer  im really please

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Hair Algae"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
4 Replies
Last post August 04, 2014, 10:08:02 AM
by Sue
6 Replies
Last post January 24, 2015, 02:31:25 PM
by Jwc
5 Replies
Last post April 29, 2015, 02:22:24 PM
by Fiona
27 Replies
Last post April 30, 2016, 05:21:49 PM
by fcmf
2 Replies
Last post April 30, 2016, 01:28:11 PM
by Fiona
5 Replies
Last post May 10, 2016, 09:07:47 PM
by Andy The Minion
18 Replies
Last post August 22, 2021, 08:50:08 AM
by Vanadia

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: