Crypt Melt

Author Topic: Crypt melt  (Read 3181 times) 10 replies

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Crypt melt
« on: March 16, 2021, 03:05:31 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I am aware that crypts do not like change, and it is very common - almost certain - that they'll melt shortly after being planted in a tank.

I decided to experiment with plants rooted in the substrate, and everything I've read says crypts are easy beginner plants. So I bought one on 20 October 2020. This seemed to do well, lots of new leaves, while the old ones slowly disappeared. So I got 4 on 23 November 2020. These all did the same - new leaves and the old ones slowly disappearing. Finally 3 more on 7 February 2021. All the different species were chosen because they didn't need strong light. All were doing well. Until 8 March.

I did a water change on 6 March after which the leaves on every crypt started to dissolve - no matter when I got them, they started to disappear.
One of the most recent batch has 1 leaf left; another is just a single stalk about half an inch long. The others do have a few leaves each but nothing like what they were before the water change.

Is it normal for this to happen? All the crypts, whether planted 1 month ago or 4 1/2 months ago, melted at the same time.
Or is it something I did at the water change?

I should add that all fish and snails are accounted for and the unknown number of shrimps are as active as ever. So it's not a contaminant.

On a totally different subject, I received an anubias and a java fern this morning from an Ebay seller who sells shrimp safe plants. Both labels were marked with a UK plant passport.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
Re: Crypt melt
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2021, 04:35:21 PM »
I’ve also recently received plants or in this case Macroalgae recently which also came with a plan passport. I was impressed and happy to see this being utilised

Regarding your Crypts I wouldn’t exactly say that it was normal for you to lose all of them like that especially if other inhabitants in the tank seem fine. However it can happen and it did happen for example to George Farmer in one of his aqua scapes I would guess approximately 12 months ago. He was unclear as to why it happened unexpectedly also.

On a more positive note you may find that the more established ones regrow as they will have an established root structure from which to do so. I’m keeping fingers crossed for you that this is the case

Offline Sue

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2021, 04:42:18 PM »
I haven't touched the plants - or the stalks of the two worst affected - just in case they do regrow. I was very careful when I lifted the two big pieces of wood out to attach the new java fern (Thor's hammer) and anubias (nana fatty).
If I've lost the crypts, I'll put it down to experience and maybe be get some more Schismatoglottis when it comes in again. That's doing well, if small, in the shrimp tank.
At least it's not just me then, if George Farmer can lose them as well  ;)

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2021, 04:44:31 PM »
 :cheers: I thought that might provide some reassurance  :rotfl:

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2021, 06:15:15 PM »
Mine only lasted a week, and I've been waiting over a week since the crypt melt for any sign of life...

Offline Sue

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2021, 06:56:07 PM »
One of the two new ones had completely vanished so I had a feel round in the sand and found a clump of black roots. So I threw that one away. The other new one still has one leaf. The older ones seem to have stabilised - no more leaf loss but as yet no new growth.

I still think it might be something I did during the water change as they were fine for so long then they all started to melt a day or two after the water change. It's the fact that they all melted at the same time regardless of how long ago they were planted that makes me suspicious.
But I have no idea what it was as the livestock are all still behaving normally  ???

Offline Sue

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2021, 04:29:29 PM »
There is hope! The remaining newest crypt, the one with only one leaf left, has two tiny new leaves appearing  :)

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2021, 06:50:21 PM »
Similar story here!
I had been waiting for a month for re-growth but assumed the crypt had simply died after a week and that was it. In the past, I would have thrown out the stump that remained, but just kept it on this occasion out of habit of it being in the tank. Then, on Fri, I moved it to a different part of the tank for layout variation purposes, and today... 4 little leaves have appeared!

Offline Sue

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2021, 08:08:31 PM »
Whatever it was seems to have been a one off, thank goodness. Most of the ones I bought a while ago have new growth, and those that don't seem to have new leaves have at least stopped losing leaves. The only casualty was one of the newest batch which presumably has not grown enough roots. Two of the last 3 were smaller varieties, which is maybe why one died and one has only grown two tiny new leaves.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2021, 08:10:52 PM »
Good news on both accounts  :cheers:

Offline Sue

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2021, 09:19:30 PM »
The crypts are:
October 2020 - wendtii green
November 2020 - wendtii 'Mi Oya'(the one that's not got new growth yet); wendtii Tropica; undulata; legroi
February 2021 - affinis; wendtii compact (died); becketti Petchii (the one with 2 tiny new leaves)

I don't know if the species/variety makes any difference.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Crypt melt"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
9 Replies
Last post April 15, 2016, 11:57:42 AM
by Fiona

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: