Amazon Sword - Cobweb-like Leaves But New Ones Sprouting

Author Topic: Amazon sword - cobweb-like leaves but new ones sprouting  (Read 8617 times) 55 replies

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
Amazon sword - cobweb-like leaves but new ones sprouting
« on: October 26, 2019, 06:09:38 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
As per Thinkfish Daily News # 1854, I've been having another try at caring for a couple of live plants.

The floating plants are doing ok - 80% of the parts are still alive after almost 2 months which isn't bad by my standards (20% have turned yellow or been singed/scorched by the overhead light and thus discarded - don't plan to change this light to LED while it's still functioning).

The 3-week-old Echinodorus Amazonicus turned a bit slimy, but has had a root tab under it. For the past couple of weeks, the leaves have turned into a skeleton like a cobweb which I assume will completely disintegrate / die. On the positive side, there are some new stems/leaves slowly sprouting up from the bottom, so fingers crossed. Does this sound ok / what might be expected (@Matt)?

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
Re: Amazon sword - cobweb-like leaves but new ones sprouting
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2019, 07:44:06 PM »
Sounds completely normal @fcmf and like things are progressing nicely. I would normally recommend removal of any dying pant material, however, the signs of yellowing in your floating plants could be a sign of nutrient deficiency. If this continues once the swords leave have disappeared, you may wish to add a micros only fertiliser which contains phosphorus (personal recommendation - JBL Ferropol though there are many others). This should keep them healthy.

Have you ever tried any truly aquatic plants?
https://forums.thinkfish.co.uk/aquascaping/truly-aquatic-plants-why-you-don't-need-co2/ these are likely to have less of an adjustment phase as they should be grown underwater in the nurseries. Cryot balansae is another option normally grown submerged in the nurseries and is a beautiful plant. Of course there is the "crypt melt" that can occur instead, though personally I've been fairly lucky on this front with most of those I've bought.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2019, 04:00:06 PM »
Thanks, @Matt - very helpful. Also thanks for the reminder of that helpful thread - interestingly, those truly aquatic plants are probably the plants I have had better luck with in the past than others (I'll need to check my old records but, re vallis, I know one vallis did a lot better than another).

Offline fcmf

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2019, 04:02:09 PM »
I'm attaching here photos of the two parts of the Amazon sword plant. When I got it, and removed the rock wool, it naturally divided into two. The healthier one/part with more leaves was more out in the open than the less healthier one which was shaded more by silk plants but I moved it forward in the tank ~10 days ago. Both have a root tab underneath. Neither is dead (and thus quite an achievement for me), but nor have they changed much in the past fortnight. Views/suggestions welcome; thanks.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2019, 07:45:29 PM »
How long have you had it? They are not the fastest growers, and would need some adjustment time from emergent to submerged growth.

How deep are they planted? Could they go deeper without covering the crown? The roots in the water on one of the photos make me think they could maybe be planted deeper.

They look algae free as well which is also a sign they are healthy.

What light do you have on the tank and what wattage is it. The photos look dim... is it just the photos though maybe?

Sorry more questions than anything else here... but want to try and help you as best I can! Determined to get your tank looking like a jungle some day!

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2019, 09:58:38 PM »
If this continues once the swords leave have disappeared, you may wish to add a micros only fertiliser which contains phosphorus...

Hi @Matt

I'm confused. If it's a 'micros only' fertilizer, it will not contain phosphorus as this is a macro fert.

JPC

Offline fcmf

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2019, 10:24:16 PM »
Thanks, @Matt.  I like Qs - anything to get the help I require.  :)

It's been in the tank for 6 weeks. 

I could definitely increase the depth of the sand - it's probably 1cm depth, varying around the tank from a few mm to an inch, depending on where I've tried to stack it up to keep (silk) plants upright, but I have a small amount left in the original bag that I could add to the tank to create a deeper substrate.

Yes, no algae on this plant (yet) - just as well you can't see the poor anubias which is prone to black beard algae.

The light is a T8 Aqua-Glo - possibly 15W, if I assume it's an 18" one in a 24" tank (don't want to disturb the tank by poking around in the cupboard under their tank to retrieve the original packaging) - but it's 3.5 years old so is possibly dimmer than it would have been at the start. The tannins from the catappa leaves may also contribute to brightness levels. [I'm not keen to convert over to LEDs while it's still functioning - I like using things until they expire, although I do have a spare T8 bulb in the cabinet.]

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2019, 04:45:42 AM »
If this continues once the swords leave have disappeared, you may wish to add a micros only fertiliser which contains phosphorus...

Hi @Matt

I'm confused. If it's a 'micros only' fertilizer, it will not contain phosphorus as this is a macro fert.

JPC

Many "non complete" ferts contain phosphorus alongside the micros... just need to make sure you at one that does. Theres a lost on my site. They won't contain nitrogen (present in water supply and added via the fish) and potassium (added in fish food) and therefore not required in a tank with low plant mass and decent fish stocking levels.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2019, 04:51:13 AM »
@fcmf I reckon some more substrate and a change of light bulb would be beneficial. Neither cam hurt I suspect.

What root tabs do you use by the way?

Offline fcmf

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2019, 01:23:04 PM »
Thanks, @Matt - I'll try these.

The root tabs are Easylife's Root Sticks. These are 5.5 cm long each, and I'd been chopping off a section of only about 0.5 cm to use (mainly because of previous episodes of the entire tank water turning cloudy red if the root tabs were disturbed). Looking at the photo on the side of the tub, though, I think I ought to be using a whole stick underneath each plant...  :-[

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2019, 06:46:28 PM »
5cm sounds far too much, I would agree. Maybe with a bit more substrate though a second 0.5cm root tab section could be used?

Edited to add: just found on their website 1 tab is enough for 15cm2 substrate so 1cm for 1 plant probably feels about right  :cheers:

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2019, 01:35:14 PM »

Hi @Matt

JPC

Many "non complete" ferts contain phosphorus alongside the micros... just need to make sure you at one that does. Theres a lost on my site. They won't contain nitrogen (present in water supply and added via the fish) and potassium (added in fish food) and therefore not required in a tank with low plant mass and decent fish stocking levels.

Hi @Matt,

I had a look on your web site but could not find the information to which you were referring. Could you please let me have a link?

JPC

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2019, 03:47:13 PM »
The root tabs are Easylife's Root Sticks.

Hi @fcmf

The only specific nutrient that Easy-Life mentions for their Root Sticks is iron. They also make reference to 'clay sticks'. From this I deduce that these sticks are made of laterite. So, your Amazon Sword(s) will not be getting significant amounts of any other nutrients at its/their roots. I'd be tempted to try one of the following:

https://www.seachem.com/flourish-tabs.php

or:

https://thenutrientcompany.com/products/tnc-plugs#description

The good thing about both of the above products is that they provide a detailed breakdown of all the nutrients that they contain. This is much better than those companies who refuse to divulge this information. So, in the event of there still being problems, we can confidently say well it's not an iron deficiency or a magnesium deficiency, for example.

I particularly like the Seachem root tabs as they don't break apart when being pushed into the substrate. I think both the Seachem and TNC root tabs are available from Amazon UK.

Good luck!

JPC

Offline fcmf

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2019, 04:45:11 PM »
Thanks, @JPC.

You're quite correct - I've just gone to have a look at the tub of Easy-Life Root Sticks, and checked the cupboard in case any other packaging originally came with it such as an outer cardboard box (answer is 'no'), and there is no ingredients list. (Nor is there for Easy-Life Voogle which I also have.) That's helpful that you've been able to establish one ingredient in it, though.

I'll take your advice and get some new root tabs - one of the two brands you suggest (probably whichever is least likely to contribute to the naturally high phosphate levels already in my tap water, or, that being equal, the Seachem ones due to the lack of breaking-up when inserted into the substrate).

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2019, 05:39:09 PM »
I'll take your advice and get some new root tabs - one of the two brands you suggest (probably whichever is least likely to contribute to the naturally high phosphate levels already in my tap water, or, that being equal, the Seachem ones due to the lack of breaking-up when inserted into the substrate).

Hi @fcmf

Thanks for pointing out the high phosphate level in your tap water. Out of interest, did you get a figure for phosphate from a water company report or did you measure it with a test kit? My water company report does not include phosphate so I measure it. Anyway, it's now clear cut - the Seachem tabs are your best choice.

I'd also like to add my own personal experience with Amazon Swords. I have one of these plants at the moment. And I've had plenty in previous tanks. They seem to prefer low light. Now, I hate terms like 'low light' because it's not quantified. So, let me elaborate. If you are able to shade the Amazon Sword(s) by using floating plants, for example, that might be to its/their advantage.

JPC

Offline fcmf

« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2019, 07:25:12 PM »
Great; thanks, @JPC - I'll get the Seachem ones then.

I have an API home testing kit for phosphates, and, from that, discovered that the tank and tap water measures out at 5 ppm! The unit options are 0.0, 0.25, 0.5, 1.0, 2.0, 5.0 and 10.0. The first time I tested, it looked closer to 2 but has been 5 (or almost 5) on the few occasions tested after that.

Thanks - I had read somewhere about partial shading and indeed tried to partially shade them by the silk plants. However, oddly, the better faring half of the plant (they naturally divided into two parts when out of the rock wool) was actually situated less in the shade, and hence why I manoeuvred the worse of the two halves towards the light. Not sure if this has anything to do with it but the only other possibilities accounting for the half that is doing better is that it is situated closer to the filter and the cardinal tetras seem to like hanging around it (so possibly their waste is acting as fertiliser). I could manoeuvre it under the floating plants but, as they are towards the side of the tank, I don't know that it will act as much of a shade. Perhaps the Seachem tabs will live up to their name and provide the flourishing effect I require...

[Edited to add: Sorry, @jaypeecee - I've been linking in a non-existent username instead of this one!]

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2019, 07:33:50 PM »
I have an API home testing kit for phosphates, and, from that, discovered that the tank and tap water measures out at 5 ppm! The unit options are 0.0, 0.25, 0.5, 1.0, 2.0, 5.0 and 10.0. The first time I tested, it looked closer to 2 but has been 5 (or almost 5) on the few occasions tested after that.

Hi @fcmf

Thanks for the figures. Out of interest, do you have any problems with algae? As I use remineralized RO water in my tanks, I can't remember if I've ever measured phosphate in my tap water. Currently, I use the JBL phosphate test kit but not for much longer. I'm slowly moving away from JBL as their technical support leaves a lot to be desired.

JPC

Offline fcmf

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2019, 01:45:06 PM »
No, not much algae. The anubias does have some black beard algae on it - at least the bits that aren't in "dark corner" (where all other live plants died in the past except the anubias). The silk plants, especially the leaves nearest the central part of the tank directly under the light, do develop some BBA weekly and less frequently brownish algae but that's about it, although I do take them out of the tank for a thorough weekly brush with the fishkeeping toothbrush. Very occasionally, I notice a few blobs of green spot algae on the glass. I have two nerite snails in the tank - one favours the glass (and sometimes attempts the silk plant leaves before falling off in acrobat style) and the other favours the wood, while both like the filter and heater; however, it's difficult to tell how much that keeps the situation under control than if they weren't there e.g. there are still a few spots of brown algae here and there on the glass that they don't touch, and so it seems more that the glass-grazing activity is habitual rather than purposeful.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2019, 12:13:50 PM »
I'll be keeping an eye on this thread as I have a similar problem with some amazon swords, and put it down to my current situation of being away from home, lights on timers, moving more fish into that tank to empty tanks prior to the move, and the substrate being shifted and plants being dug up by Bertie the BN & all the cories. I'm hoping I can fix everything after the move.

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2019, 07:08:11 PM »
No, not much algae. The anubias does have some black beard algae on it - at least the bits that aren't in "dark corner" (where all other live plants died in the past except the anubias). The silk plants, especially the leaves nearest the central part of the tank directly under the light, do develop some BBA weekly and less frequently brownish algae but that's about it, although I do take them out of the tank for a thorough weekly brush with the fishkeeping toothbrush.

Hi @fcmf

BBA is a tricky one. Currently, I have an area of BBA on the substrate. But, it's because I have a bare area awaiting plants. In shadowed areas with lower light, BBA is completely absent. You mention 'brownish algae' and that makes me think - diatoms. Otocinclus seem to be effective where diatoms are developing. I seem to remember that diatoms actually belong to the animal, not plant, kingdom. Of course, obtaining healthy Otocinclus is not easy. If you don't already keep them and you decide to buy some, go for those with plump(ish) abdomens.

JPC

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Amazon sword - cobweb-like leaves but new ones sprouting"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
6 Replies
Last post May 25, 2014, 10:06:45 PM
by Cazzybaby
6 Replies
Last post July 14, 2015, 04:21:39 PM
by Sue
4 Replies
Last post October 05, 2017, 01:34:35 PM
by Aquarius Barbara
4 Replies
Last post August 21, 2019, 10:16:47 AM
by Sue
4 Replies
Last post November 25, 2019, 05:38:10 PM
by Robert
0 Replies
Last post July 27, 2022, 03:40:34 PM
by fcmf
10 Replies
Last post June 25, 2023, 10:20:41 PM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: