Stocking Ideas For 105l With Harlequin Rasboras

Author Topic: Stocking ideas for 105l with Harlequin Rasboras  (Read 1593 times) 9 replies

Offline Vanadia

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
Stocking ideas for 105l with Harlequin Rasboras
« on: October 22, 2022, 10:32:33 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I have a 105 litre tank with 11 harlequin rasboras, a honey gourami, 3 wood shrimp, 4 ember tetras and 2 neon tetras. I am phasing the ember tetras and neon tetras out as the ember tetras are too small (I currently have to have a sponge around my filter inlet to stop them getting stuck) and I have had no luck at all with the neon tetras. I bought 12 18 months ago, and I only have 2 left! Harlequin rasboras are doing really well though!

I am looking for another type of small shoaling fish to add to this aquarium along with the harlequin rasboras. Originally I intended this to be the neon tetras, but they didn't work out. I would also want fish that aren't orange as there is already alot of orange in that aquarium.

The tank is kept at 25 degrees and the water is very soft (but neutral to slightly alkaline pH). Filtration is a sponge filter and an external filter with a spray bar, so quite gentle.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
Re: Stocking ideas for 105l with Harlequin Rasboras
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2022, 02:13:07 PM »
Your water sounds almost identical to mine, and the fish you have are very much ones "on my radar" (or ones I'd have if I had a tank your size ie bigger than mine). 
Cardinal tetras tend to have a reputation for doing better than neon tetras.  I've had some for a few years but, admittedly, they haven't done as well as harlequin rasboras and espei rasboras.  They do get on well with the espei rasboras and did with the harlequin rasboras in their short overlap.
Micro-sized rasbora (eg neon green or brigittae or chili) will have similar problems to your embers, and neon greens didn't fare well with me, so I'd omit those.
Another type of tetra might be worth considering eg lemon, glowlight, black neon. X-rays did well in my tank, and alongside harlequin rasboras, but were a a bit boisterous ie males sparring.
Even a peaceful barb (ie cherry or fiveband) probably wouldn't fare well with the shrimp or gourami, but someone else may have a better view on this.
Cories (eg panda, julii), I wonder..?

Offline Vanadia

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2022, 05:41:33 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions!

Lemon tetras look really nice! I did see some glowlights in my LFS a while back and thought they looked interesting, so maybe that could be an option now too. I had previously dismissed cardinals as I thought they needed higher temperatures and looked too similar to neons. If they are hardier than neons they could be a good alternative. Would they be OK at 25 degrees?

I don't think I can get cories because my tank has gravel.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2022, 06:20:42 PM »
I agree re lemon tetras; I'd love to have them myself but unfortunately my tank is too small - yours would be fine, though.
I have my tank set at 25'C too, with the cardinals in it which seems to be within their range:
https://www.thinkfish.co.uk/fish/cardinal-tetra.html
https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/paracheirodon-axelrodi/
You're right re cories - they wouldn't do well on gravel, and I forgot you had that (apologies).

Keep us posted re what you opt for. Photos also very welcome of your tank once the newbies settle in.  :)  :fishy1:

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2022, 04:22:14 AM »
I enjoy posts like this, because I love planning stocking ideas even if they never turn into reality! So here are a few slightly more ‘out there’ options you may want to consider (you may not like any of these as a result!):
  • threadfin rainbowfish (bit different to tetra/rasbora)
  • diamond tetra (with their sparkly scales)
  • dwarf Pencilfish (I miss having these guys who stay in the top third of the tank)
  • penguin tetra (who rest at an angle and so stand out a bit in a tank)
  • sparkling gourami (I often recommend as I also miss having these, for their gourami behaviour, but appreciate you have gourami already)

Offline Vanadia

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2022, 02:12:44 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
I finally went out and bought some fish today.

I got 8 lemon tetras. I was also considering glowlight tetra, dwarf pencil fish, threadfin rainbow fish and diamond tetra, but I couldn't find these in my LFS.

They don't look yellow at all yet (apart from the fins), but hopefully they will brighten up once they are settled in my aquarium!

Offline fcmf

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2022, 05:28:36 PM »
Oh, how exciting!  :fishy1: :fishy1:  Thanks for the update.

Looking forward to seeing some photos once they've settled in and brightened up, and also to reading how they get on with their tankmates.

Offline Vanadia

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2022, 07:59:04 PM »
Here is a photo of some of the lemon tetras. They seem to be quite hardy fish and spend most of the time swimming in a shoal with the harlequins in the centre of the tank. They are still not looking that yellow yet though, not sure if they are meant to only be a pale yellow, or if they get more yellow once they are fully grown.   

I had a bit of bad luck with my aquarium in the last month. Firstly the honey gourami died, it is the third time I have lost a honey gourami within a few weeks of purchase. I tried to keep one 2 years ago and it died, and thought they might do better in pairs so tried again a few months ago but exactly the same thing happened. They seem to gradually lose their colour and go lethargic. I wonder if they are infected with a virus like dwarf gourami are, or are just genetically weak. I think I will give up on gourami now.

Last weekend I found a leak at the bottom of the aquarium. Managed to get a replacement aquarium delivered later that day. I also decided to use it as an opportunity to replace the blue gravel with black sand. All the fish and shrimp survived being caught and put into a holding tank for an hour (I was really worried I would lose 1 or 2 to the stress). Water parameters are also very stable in the new aquarium. The black sand looks great, but not sure if it is suitable for corys as the grains seem quite large.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2022, 11:05:42 PM »
Like the black sand. Key thing to check re sand for cories is whether the sand is sharp or soft - or will it wear down their sensitive barbels. Like the difference between sharp sand and play sand.

Offline Vanadia

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2022, 08:19:37 PM »
It would be nice to try keeping cories again! The sand is very smooth but the grains are quite large. Not sure if the grain size is an issue too.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Stocking ideas for 105l with Harlequin Rasboras"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
12 Replies
Last post March 13, 2013, 04:36:18 PM
by TigzFish
3 Replies
Last post November 20, 2013, 07:10:53 PM
by Sue
32 Replies
Last post June 04, 2015, 10:30:14 PM
by fcmf
8 Replies
Last post August 21, 2015, 07:32:32 PM
by Extreme_One
9 Replies
Last post May 19, 2018, 05:08:22 PM
by Matt
17 Replies
Last post October 08, 2019, 04:20:29 PM
by fcmf
98 Replies
Last post February 13, 2020, 09:16:38 PM
by barneyadi

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: