Fish I Acquired When I Purchased A 2nd Hand Tank

Author Topic: Fish i acquired when I purchased a 2nd hand tank  (Read 6532 times) 26 replies

Offline Johno2009

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
Fish i acquired when I purchased a 2nd hand tank
« on: September 16, 2020, 10:04:50 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
When I purchased my Flex 123 I had to take the fish aswell.
They are currently in my friends quarantine tank that he let me borrow.
Now being new to fish it would be nice to know what they are and if they are compatible together and my water hardness which is med to hard.
I took some photos of them if someone could identify them save me trawling through fish photos

Offline Johno2009

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
Re: Fish i acquired when I purchased a 2nd hand tank
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2020, 10:05:51 PM »
6 of these

Offline Johno2009

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2020, 10:07:13 PM »
7 of these

Offline Johno2009

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2020, 10:08:05 PM »
5 of these

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2020, 10:45:14 PM »
Can only reply briefly: tetra (? silver dollar); platy; corydoras (? bronze). Hopefully someone else can confirm.

Offline Johno2009

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2020, 11:54:58 PM »

Think I've identified  this as Black Tetra

Offline Sue

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2020, 09:26:17 AM »
Photo #1
White skirt tetra aka white widow tetra, a colour variant of black skirt/widow tetra
https://www.thinkfish.co.uk/fish/black-widow-tetra.html
hardness 5 to 20 dH (90 to 357 ppm), pH 6 - 7; temp 20 to 26; min tank length 60 cm.

photo #2
As fcmf said, platy.
https://www.thinkfish.co.uk/fish/platy.html
hardness 10 to 30 dH (179 to 535 ppm), pH 7 to 8.2; temp 20 to 26 deg C; min tank length 60 cm.

photo #3
Again I agree with fcmf, a bronze cory.
hardness 2 to 16 dH (36 to 286 ppm), pH 6 to 8; temp 21 to 27 deg C; min tank length 80 cm.
All cories do best on sand rather than gravel, and if gravel is used it must be smooth.

Of these fish, the tetras and cories do best in soft water while platies need hard water. I can't remember whether you have hard or soft water but you may want to think about rehoming the species that don't match your water.

Offline Johno2009

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2020, 10:01:50 AM »
Thanks

Offline Hampalong

• Global Moderator
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2020, 04:29:16 PM »
1st pic is actually an old Black Widow Tetra. Same species as the White...

Offline Sue

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2020, 04:35:32 PM »
I had no idea that black skirt/widows faded like that with age.

Offline Hampalong

• Global Moderator
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2020, 10:02:19 PM »
It doesn’t take long either. They start going grey quite young.

Offline Sue

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2020, 09:14:47 AM »
That sounds like me as well  ;D

Offline Johno2009

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2020, 02:57:21 PM »
Thanks for the reply.
Just to push things forward. The fish i acquired which are.

6 black Tetra
5 corys
9 Guppies various sizes .
2 Neon Tetra 1 very small 1 average.

Would you say that my Flex 123ltr tank is fully stocked when I get it cycled or is there room for more as I would like to up the neon to about 7 to give them a shoal.
Also I would like to transfer the 6 penguin and Cardinal tetras to this tank as its more suitable when its established.
I just don't want to over stock it.
Some of the fish I acquired my friend said he will keep them if necessary.

Also my 123 is set up now but the substrate was a real pig to clean and got quite cloudy water. Will this affect the cycling in anyway ?

Thanks

Offline fcmf

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2020, 05:12:01 PM »
I'm struggling to keep up with what fish you have / don't have.  You don't mention the platies here, I thought the guppies were borrowed for fish-in cycling, and I thought the penguin and cardinal tetras were your friend's. ???

For your Fluval Flex 123L's footprint of 82x40cm footprint, the species of fish you have mentioned are fine for the tank size [NB actual numbers of each will be mentioned later]:
* the black tetra, platies, guppies, penguin tetra and bronze cories are fine for your water hardness of 207.75 CaCO3/ppm or 11.64 German degrees hardness;
* the neon tetra and cardinal tetra would be just about ok for your water hardness (but might struggle);
* see Sue's point about the substrate for cories.

Please confirm how many fish you have of each type, and if there are any more that haven't been mentioned, then we can either advise accordingly - or it would be good to familiarise yourself with https://www.thinkfish.co.uk/article/community-creator to work this out for youself. It sounds a lot of fish already, though, for the tank size!

Presumably you're keeping the 57L Fluval Flex as a hospital tank for fish if/when any fall ill and need isolated for medication treatment?

Offline Johno2009

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2020, 05:20:32 PM »
Right the fish I acquired with the tank which are currently in a friend's isolation tank are.
6 black Tetra
9 Plates of various sizes
5 Corys bronze i think
2 Neon tetra I very small 1 average.

What I need to know is will my Flex 123ltr not be overstocked as I wish to add 5 more Neons to make numbers up.

Also transfer 6 cardinal and 6 penguin from my 57 as they are not suited to that tank as Sue recomended.

The penguins i spoke about in another post were a friends that were behaving oddly as one of them were bulling the rest.

I have now purchased a 10 gal tank to use as quarantine tank if needed.

Hope this clarfys

Offline Johno2009

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2020, 05:44:24 PM »
I believe my 57 is cycled now in 5th week. I have no Ammonia no nitrite and Nitrates at 20ppm. I did it all wrong with fish being new to fish keeping but kept on top of it and not lost any fish in the process.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2020, 06:23:51 PM »
I would really encourage you to use the Community Creator tool I linked to before. However, I've started it off for you, by inputting your available tank volume as 110L (123L minus 10% for decor and substrate), 82cm length, and I only got so far as inputting in the black widow/skirt tetra, platies and cories (I opted for sterbas cories as a substitute/similar size as bronze cories) and already the tank is 81% stocked which is as much as is safe - in other words, there is no way that it could cope with 2 neon tetra, 6 cardinals and 6 penguins as well.

Some tough choices are going to have to be made about which to rehome and which to keep. Aquarist Classifieds would be a good option to use to rehome your fish to someone local to you. The black tetra and platies are more suited to your water (and substrate) than the others.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2020, 07:11:50 PM »
It is always best to give us full and upfront/honest details at the outset, as it makes it much easier for us to help you. For example:
* on 31 Aug, you mentioned the tank was cycled, and talked on 9 Sept about plans for potential stocking when the tank would be at the stage of being ready for fish, then told us a couple of days later that you had been using friends' guppies for cycling for the previous few weeks.  Now it seems there were also penguin tetras and cardinals in the 57L, possibly going through the fish-in cycle along with the platies or guppies.  If we had known all of this at the outset, we could have helped you through the fish-in cycling process based on the history of your daily readings for ammonia/nitrate/nitrite and when any water changes were done, and we would be in a better position to advise on whether or not the 57L tank is cycled or not.
* Also, had we known this, we could have assisted you in advising on a suitable-sized tank for the stock you had (possibly a Fluval Roma 240L) and an appropriate substrate, where to look for one, etc, without you finding yourself with additional fish that came with the 123L ie black widow/skirt tetras, neon tetras and cories, and now in this difficult predicament of having far too many fish for your tank(s) to cope with.

If you're keen to keep all the stock you have, then I'd advise looking at additional tanks such as the one I mention above - but please resist the temptation of purchasing one that comes with even more fish!  :)

Offline Johno2009

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2020, 09:06:25 PM »
I purchased the 123 tank with fish as the woman was desperate as she was moving home the next day. I did not purchase it for the fish but to help her out.
As for the cardinals and penguin tetra I purchased them this week as my tank is cycled and all parameters show that
0 Ammonia
0 Niterite
20ppm Nitrate.

I purchased them from Maidenhead Aquatics who assured me they were fine for my tank even though I said I was advised not to on this forum.
I have also asked question on another 4 forums 1 advised against 2 others said you be fine.
Who the hells advice do you take ?

There are so many conflicting attitudes to what you can and can't do in this hobby where what you can and cannot stock how many you can stock its a bloody nightmare.

I am prepared to put work into this hobby but beginning to dislike the attitudes of people who in all pretences know it all..

I have watched so many experts on YouTube about stocking options and some of those are aquatic shop owners who have Cardinals etc in tanks similar to mine.

I appreciate advice from anyone but in the right manor not people back tracking your posts to try to catch you out.

I will not be posting on here any more as other forums have a much better attitude

Offline fcmf

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2020, 10:19:12 PM »
I am sorry that you have not been happy with my/our efforts to help.  I can assure you wholeheartedly that I was not “backtracking your posts to try to catch you out” – instead, I was doing my best to help you all along with the information that you had provided, as have others also done their best in response to your previous and other posts.  This necessitated going back through your posts to try to re-establish the various points, as there was so much conflicting information that it was difficult to figure out how to help.  When someone asks questions on the forum, others build up a sense of their set-up and are always thinking of what sort of advice might be helpful.  On a number of occasions in your case, additional information has suddenly been provided which has made best efforts to help and provide suitable advice extra difficult – more fish in the equation that we hadn’t been aware of, etc.  I apologise if my exasperation at this came across – the point that I was attempting to make, and which I’d encourage any fishkeeper using this forum to make, is to:
* give us the full information from the outset (eg cycling method, stock or proposed stock, tank size), etc.;
* keep us updated as they go along such as any intentions for stocking, discuss alternatives/options, etc, rather than ask for advice, then advise us after the event that actually more have been acquired and a tank of a certain size purchased, which then makes efforts to help you even more difficult – eg we could have advised not to buy the penguins and cardinals if you had already got the 123L with fish, or vice versa, or advised on a suitable sized tank or number of tanks of what sizes in the circumstances.

The internet is full of information via video and print from self-described “experts” which anyone could call themselves, staff in shops are trained to sound very knowledgeable, and there is huge variation in quality of this advice from downright appalling (yet which sounds plausible) to excellent. It can indeed be very difficult for a newcomer to know what the quality of that information is, and who to trust, to decipher the poor from the good quality information. However, sources such as www.fishbase.org and www.seriouslyfish.com are very reputable internationally with regards to species’ requirements – the latter is a more comprehensive and up-to-date source than the good, helpful and user-friendly Fish Profiles on here.  This is where many of our responses re each species’ requirements are derived from, as we at Thinkfish prefer to provide advice from good quality sources renowned internationally on the basis of collective fishkeepers’ experiences (in addition to referring to our own experiences where applicable – and will specify where this is the case) than try to sound like an expert based purely on our own experience.  I hope this explanation is helpful.

[Dictated via voice-activated typing – hope it is coherent.]

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Fish i acquired when I purchased a 2nd hand tank"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
5 Replies
Last post October 21, 2013, 08:21:21 AM
by Sue
4 Replies
Last post January 28, 2014, 04:40:00 PM
by Sue
15 Replies
Last post February 25, 2014, 03:20:52 PM
by Sue
6 Replies
Last post November 15, 2014, 11:30:00 AM
by Aquamaid
9 Replies
Last post November 22, 2014, 09:49:14 AM
by Aquamaid
22 Replies
Last post January 29, 2018, 02:01:20 PM
by Sue
0 Replies
Last post January 28, 2018, 04:54:14 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: