Tetra Unusual Behaviour

Author Topic: Tetra unusual behaviour  (Read 3491 times) 8 replies

Offline Johno2009

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
Tetra unusual behaviour
« on: September 04, 2020, 02:48:20 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
A friend of mine has some Penguin Tetra in his tank and he asked me a question regarding there behavior.
He has 6 in his 123 gal tank along with other types of communal fish. These however seem to have a bully in them that makes all the others just cower in corner of tank facing upwards. All others swim about as normal.
Could someone give any reason for this. He has tried rearranging tank but not worked.
Thanks

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
Re: Tetra unusual behaviour
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2020, 03:22:37 PM »
Penguin tetras are prone to some bullying/fin-nipping, from what I've read. While often 6 fish used to be recommended as the bare minimum number for any shoaling species such as these, usually 8-10 is now advised at the very minimum. Generally, the more fish there are, the more aggression is spread out. Check out https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/thayeria-obliqua  The pointing-upward behaviour is characteristic of these tetra although someone who actually has them may be able to confirm whether that particular angle is normal or extreme and thus perhaps a sign of stress from the bullying.

Offline Johno2009

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2020, 04:06:08 PM »
I forgot to mention that the bullying stops when the aquarium lights go out. Then they all swim around as normal. Very strange

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2020, 07:34:53 PM »
I have a mix of penguin tetra and black neon tetra, along with marbled hatchets, various corydoras and a BN plec in one of my tanks. All the fish in that tank are south american species.
The angle of the fish shown in the picture is quite a bit more than I've seen with my gang. With mine I've noticed that they only seem to be at an angle when relatively static, but I noticed it more when they were a single species group. I will admit that they are quite a boisterous gang, and I have found that "the more the merrier" is the way forward. I have >10 of each tetra. My current gang seem to mix freely with the black neons, and the mixed group seem to get on quite well.
I'm watching them as I type, and although the mixed group are spread throughout the tank, each penguin tetra appears to have it's own little bit of space, and will chase another fish out of it, but only for a few cm before returning to it's original spot. Weird.  ???
I guess it is possible that a group of 6 could lead to some being bullied. I'm not great at sexing these fish, but that could also be a factor.
If the fish are more sociable when the lights are out, perhaps some more decor/plants/hiding spots may make them more comfortable when the lights are on.
What other fish does your friend have in the tank? Although penguin tetra are quite active/boisterous, they can be intimidated by more aggressive fish.

Offline Johno2009

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2020, 08:51:46 PM »
Hi thanks for reply.
In the tank there is the 6 Penguin Tetra 6 Cardinal Tetra and 3 Peppered Corydoras. Its quite amusing watching the dominant one put the others into there respective corners 3 bottom right 1 top right 1 top left. And at feeding time its pretty chaos as they come to feed out of there corners and the dominant one trys to feed and scatter his flock at same time. They all seem to get their fare share though.
As this is my friend's tank and mine will hopefully be ready for fish soon I was hoping for a similar setup. Especially the peppered Corys i just love the way they go about there business..
Back to there behavior they all seem to be in good health and the sheparding does not seem to be affecting there health.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2020, 09:23:52 PM »
As long as everyone is feeding well then I'd guess it was a dominance/territory thing rather than outright bullying. With the numbers of penguin tetras involved it's possible that there is one dominant fish, and the others are just getting out of the way.
With my mix of penguin & black neon tetras it's possible that both species look similar enough to act like one large group of >20 fish, which may spread out any of the sort of behavior you have described.

I have peppered corys in my river tank. It's a group of 8 that I've had for a long time, with 2 being second generation. My 2 older ladies are quite big units now. I have other corys in other tanks, and I enjoy watching them rummage around the substrate and generally pottering around the tanks.

I look forward to hearing about your setup when you;ve finished cycling.  :)

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2020, 10:43:44 PM »
As this is my friend's tank and mine will hopefully be ready for fish soon I was hoping for a similar setup. Especially the peppered Corys i just love the way they go about there business..
I know the Fluval Flex 57's dimensions were an issue for and limiting your stocking options.  Have you thought about a second tank that would be able to accommodate the fish you'd like?
Although the Flex 57 is a bit too small for the following, the 3 smallest cory species that would be better suited to it would be the pygmaeus, hastatus and habrosus - their requirements for care ought to be available in the species profiles at https://www.seriouslyfish.com/knowledge-base/ and there's a useful article on and photos of them here https://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/features/the-littlest-hobos/ Hope this is helpful.
 :fishy1:

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2020, 05:41:17 AM »
That practical fishkeeping article is not one I’ve seen before and is a great find  :cheers:

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2020, 05:53:25 AM »
Good point @fcmf

I've got the C. habrosus in the same tank as my penguin tetras. The are very cute.  :)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Tetra unusual behaviour "

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
2 Replies
Last post October 25, 2012, 07:19:58 PM
by Chucklett
1 Replies
Last post March 06, 2013, 07:53:41 PM
by Sue
1 Replies
Last post June 07, 2013, 09:30:54 AM
by Sue
2 Replies
Last post April 18, 2014, 07:26:11 PM
by Sue
54 Replies
Last post May 17, 2015, 09:14:22 AM
by Skittler
15 Replies
Last post April 26, 2016, 09:27:04 PM
by fcmf
6 Replies
Last post October 17, 2019, 07:46:44 PM
by Matt

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: