Rapid Breathing - Cause For Concern?

Author Topic: Rapid breathing - cause for concern?  (Read 7968 times) 37 replies

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
Rapid breathing - cause for concern?
« on: December 10, 2019, 07:28:06 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
https:///youtu.be/7hDqiGWd5pI

This is the large female cardinal tetra who over-eats - any views on whether her breathing is a cause for concern?

Everyone else fine apart from the various age-related conditions. Ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 25 or just under.

Saw a similar post to this, and success with an airstone. In the event that I were to get an airstone, what would be the smallest and least obtrusive one available?

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
Re: Rapid breathing - cause for concern?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2019, 07:34:39 PM »
Have you just fed them?   If you have I would give it a couple of hours. Things may well return to normal...

I always recommend these air pumps -small and silent. I have one running a filter sponge for my Betta.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Interpet-Nano-Aquamini-Aquarium-Tanks/dp/B00IF9NW62

Offline fcmf

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2019, 07:39:53 PM »
 :cheers:

I noticed she was breathing like this throughout yesterday evening, several hours after dinner time (and actually what prompted the water testing this morning). It seems to be irrespective of whether recently eaten or not - although everyone is guilty of stealing snail food at all times of the day...

Offline fcmf

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2019, 04:39:11 PM »
The aforementioned cardinal tetra is huge.  I decided to view from above, with filter off, to get a better gauge of her size.  To my surprise, I can actually see the scales are pineconed. This isn't clear when generally looking in the tank but is from above. Having had a goldfish with dropsy in the past, there was no mistaking it due to a fish of that size. However, on a juvenile cardinal tetra (3 months old), it's barely noticeable and just looks like a slight fuzziness. 

Epsom salt bath and/or hospitalise for bacterial infection?

Edited to add photo - terrible quality but it shows her size .v. another fish underneath her.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2019, 07:49:56 PM »
Afraid to say I've never had a good result when dropsy is noticed I believe it is usually too late. I would go with both treatments, definately Epsom salt dips asap to bring things back in control quickly.  You might have to prepare for the worst here though I fear...

Offline fcmf

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2019, 07:54:36 PM »
I've been humming and hawing over this.  From the side, the pineconed scales aren't obvious.  The breathing wasn't as rapid.  Yet I definitely saw them when the filter was off and viewing her from above.  I actually forgot to feed them dinner and have just put a pea in - she's eaten half of it all by herself.  I have an hour before "lights off" - maybe worth treating her just before then (by which time her dinner might have digested?) but before she enters the "potentially too late to save" phase?

Offline fcmf

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2019, 09:35:37 PM »
Epsom salt bath done. Not sure who was more traumatised - me or the fish. She seemed very alarmed to begin with, then went very still, then quivered throughout. Occasionally, she darted round the container as though attempting to escape, so I had to place the lid over the top on three occasions in case she leaped out.

A small amount of Epsom salt water (0.1 L) probably entered the main tank - hoping this will be alright for the other fish and nerite snails... 

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2019, 11:44:38 AM »
Sorry I missed this yesterday. Any updates today?

Offline fcmf

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2019, 01:23:59 PM »
Thanks. She doesn't look any different. Breathing fast. Mooching around with the others. Light not on yet, and need light on plus filter off and decor removed from the tank to view properly from above. Not sure I can bear the thought of putting her (or myself!) through another Epsom salt bath. [That read as though she and I were getting in the bath together - not the case!] Not sure I can bear the thought of putting her through another Epsom salt bath.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2019, 02:20:54 PM »
Thanks. She doesn't look any different. Breathing fast. Mooching around with the others. Light not on yet, and need light on plus filter off and decor removed from the tank to view properly from above. Not sure I can bear the thought of putting her (or myself!) through another Epsom salt bath. [That read as though she and I were getting in the bath together - not the case!] Not sure I can bear the thought of putting her through another Epsom salt bath.

:rotfl:

We know that if you thought getting in a salt bath with her would help, that you would do it.   ;D

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2019, 02:49:29 PM »
Afraid to say I've never had a good result when dropsy is noticed I believe it is usually too late. I would go with both treatments, definately Epsom salt dips asap to bring things back in control quickly.  You might have to prepare for the worst here though I fear...

Hi @fcmf

I agree with @Matt above. Once the swelling is apparent, the condition of the fish usually degenerates. I seem to recall having read that the swelling is caused by failure of a fish's kidneys. I had this problem a few months ago with a Siamese Algae Eater. It was awful to witness the extreme swelling. I had to resort to euthanasia. Never easy.  :(

JPC

Offline fcmf

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2019, 03:08:06 PM »
Update, now that the light is on, is that she is mooching around as normal but is breathing very fast. No food has been put in the tank for several hours. It's the scales on the underside of the belly - the white ones in the case of the cardinal tetra's colouring - that seem to be distended but I don't know whether this is due to obesity from over-eating or fluid swelling. Argh - after the stress of the other day's attempt and lack of difference that it made, I can't decide whether to give her another Epsom salt bath or not... maybe I'll do that now and consider starting eSHa 2000 this evening...

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2019, 07:42:03 PM »
Did you do another salt bath?
How is she?

Offline fcmf

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2019, 09:23:20 PM »
Yes, both of us were traumatised for the full duration - I couldn't take my eyes off her for fear she would leap out or keel over as she was shuddering throughout. Again, the salt bath made no difference. I'm sparing her any further trauma, so no medication - just letting her enjoy the evening with her tankmates. She's mooching around with them at normal levels in the tank but breathing heavily.

I'd say she's fourth in line for potential imminent fatalities - but she has the benefit of youth on her side. Says it all that, when I approach the tank, I'm peering towards the water surface first for potential lifeless bodies and then the substrate before looking in the water column to do a headcount...

Offline fcmf

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2019, 03:05:27 PM »
Argh - I hate these decisions!

She's breathing extremely fast but otherwise behaving normally - someone not particularly interested in their fishtank probably wouldn't even notice a problem (indeed, I had to point this out to Mr FCMF). Her belly/white scales are definitely distended and some of her other scales look generally ruffled/fluffy- again, not particularly noticeable (I had to point this out to Mr FCMF) and might just look like normal variation given her large size. However, the two in combination make me feel I need to do something...

Not sure if there's much point in an Epsom salt bath given that the previous two have made little/no difference, and not sure if I want to remove her for eSHa 2000 medication which will mean she's away from her tankmates for several days...  Maybe a case for the Melafix or Easylife Voogle which can be added to the main tank...  ???

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2019, 04:40:20 PM »
I wish I could give you a definitive answer that would help, but I don't feel as if I know enough about fish disease and medications to be of much use.

I can understand your point about the salt baths, and after the trauma caused to both of you during the last one, I think I'd be reluctant to repeat that. I can also understand not wanting to remove her from the tank, and wanting to keep her with her tankmates.

Hopefully the others will be able to point you in the right direction on this one.

Best of luck, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed for both of you.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2019, 05:35:06 PM »
Thanks, Littlefish. About half an hour ago, I moved her into the hospital tank as a "trial run" with eSHa 2000. I felt terrible, as the cardinals all shoaled up tightly to escape the jug, as though protecting her. Everyone else in the tank seemed to volunteer to get in it but the cardinals were having none of it. There was water everywhere as attempts to guide her in with a net resulted uprooting of the silk plants, wood getting caught against the net, etc. Eventually most of the cardinals ended up in the jug together and I had to try to get them out and leave her in, to transfer her to the hospital tank. She looked calmer in there than when in an Epsom salt bath, but I'm in the other room now and keeping my distance from Mr FCMF who always (and thankfully only ever) seems to get annoyed with me when water spillages occur and the hospital tank is in use and taking up valuable space. :-[

Updated to add: Just nipped through to check up on her. She was at one end of the tank, watching her tankmates in the main tank. Not sure if it was intrigue, comfort, wistfulness, envy or frustration, or to what degree fish might experience these emotions - certainly they can be very inquisitive. Uncharacteristically, they were in an unusual location at the front edge of the tank, so must have been watching her too.

Offline Sue

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2019, 09:32:10 AM »
I don't know what to suggest. If she's eating and swimming normally, there is hope. All you can do is see if the medication helps her.
But if she stops eating and swimming, you have only one option I'm afraid.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2019, 12:44:15 PM »
Update is that she's had 2 dosages of the 3-day course and is still alive. However, the situation is not pretty. She's very pale being in the hospital tank, in contrast to what was her full colouring in the main tank. The scales are definitely standing out, very noticeably on the white underside and on the washed-out blue parts when viewed from above. I just hope the isolation and treatment aren't contributing to the stress and causing this. She seems to alternate between cowering under the filter at one end and watching her tankmates from the other end, generally locating herself away from wherever I am. She's not eating but I do think this is due to the isolation and treatment.

My hope is that she makes it through to complete the 3-day course and back into the main tank alive. Rather than extend the treatment and prolong any stress, I'm keen that she is returned to her tankmates for potential improvement, ideally with me having given her a chance through the medication. If she succumbs there, then so be it - better there than on her own in the hospital tank which she is clearly not enjoying (but I feel medication is needed to give her a chance).

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2019, 04:49:42 PM »
Is it worth trying peas to get rid of any potential internal blockage - if only to rule this out? Though I note you said she had stopped eating. Are the scales just sticking out round the belly?

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Rapid breathing - cause for concern?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
2 Replies
Last post January 10, 2015, 08:15:32 PM
by fcmf
16 Replies
Last post July 12, 2015, 10:49:34 PM
by jesnon
18 Replies
Last post May 28, 2016, 11:43:29 AM
by Fiona
12 Replies
Last post March 10, 2017, 10:23:13 PM
by fcmf
2 Replies
Last post October 19, 2023, 10:54:25 AM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: