Author Topic: Fishy fungus  (Read 3869 times) 11 replies

Offline Beckins

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
Fishy fungus
« on: August 21, 2020, 01:22:40 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi guys,

So I've had a few problems with ammonia over the last weeks since i added my corys, I have purchased some more seachem stability and have been ammonia free for 4 days now :D That stuff is fab, defo recommend for anyone needing a bacterial boost!

However it has affected my tetras 3 of them now have fungus :/ i think I posted before about one of them having fungus and was treating with esha 2000 but it never really got rid of it. One has a bobble on his face, another has a bobble on his top fin and the third has some on his sides :/ pics attached.

I have this week been trying pimafix and melafix together, day 5 today but none of them look any better...

Just wondering if anyone else has recommendations for getting rid of stubborn fungus?

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
Re: Fishy fungus
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2020, 02:54:21 PM »
Sorry to read about you having ammonia problems. If you aren't doing so already, it's always worth quarantining new fish - and a spare tank comes in handy for hospital or other isolation purposes. https://www.thinkfish.co.uk/article/isolation-hospital-or-quarantine-fishtanks-for-your-fish and https://www.fishkeeper.co.uk/faq/do-i-need-to-quarantine-my-new-fish-and-if-so-how-do-i-do-it/  I have a plastic tank which can be easily stowed away with its contents for such scenarios.

When using a quarantine tank, mature filter media can be taken from the main tank's filter and used in the quarantine tank, then added back into the main tank's filter later. Alternatively, a spare filter can be kept/used in the main tank and taken out as and when required for the quarantine tank. These scenarios should hopefully avoid any ammonia presence in future, and in turn the sorts of problems you've been encountering due to the filter having insufficient bacteria to support the bioload of the fish.

Pristine water quality at all times is the best cure - 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and <20 nitrates. Otherwise, eSHa 2000 or Waterlife Protozin/Cuprazin might be suitable options. Edited to add: NT Labs and Interpet also seem to do treatments for fungus. I have used Easylife Voogle on a fish that had an ulcer and often grew a saprolegnia-like tuft of fungus on the top, like the cotton that falls off trees - it did succeed in causing the fungus to fall off, from recollection, but the problem was recurrent.

Hope this helps.  :fishy1:

Offline Hampalong

• Global Moderator
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2020, 07:11:43 PM »
I would use a proprietary fungicide, such as Protozin.

Melafix and Pimafix are ‘alternative medicines’, are not very strong, and have no place in the treatment of life threatening fish diseases, imo.

Offline Beckins

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2020, 03:12:56 PM »
Thank-you, I will try protozin and put the fish in my quarantine tank i think.

I bought a external filter, fluvial 207 a few weeks back and have practically tripled my media compared to my internal filter I had, so have just been waiting for the bacteria to grow enough to sort my problem out, I think the seachem stability has sorted that out now though i am ammonia free :)

My friend says aquarium salt can be a good treatment for fungus too?

Offline fcmf

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2020, 04:00:08 PM »
Great re the external filter. :cheers:

Aquarium salt might help. There's a good article on aquarium salt in the Sept 2020 edition of Practical Fishkeeping mag. For fungus infections, it suggests "a prolonged salt bath of 3g/L", so best to treat them separately in a spare container. NB: The article also refers to species originating from soft, acidic water being less salt-tolerant (esp catfishes and tetras) and advises playing safe and starting with 1g/L for treatment and building up to the therapeutic dose, so you could try 1g/L on Day 1, 2g/L on Day 2, and 3g/L on Day 3. If any (extra) odd behaviour occurs (eg agitation, loss of equilibrium, fast breathing), then remove from the salt dip, reduce its duration and/or dilute the salt content with dechlorinated water.

Offline Beckins

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2020, 04:28:31 PM »
I will try the other stuff first then salt if still no luck :) thank-you  :fishy1: :fishy1:

Offline Beckins

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2020, 12:09:07 PM »
Well just doing the last dose of treatment with protozin but don't know if there's much point as the fungus literally looks no different...Getting to my wits end trying to fix this now!!

Guess I'll be trying the salt next then :/

Offline Hampalong

• Global Moderator
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2020, 03:38:54 AM »
Probably bacterial if Protozin hasn’t cleared it. I’d try Myxazin.

I wouldn’t add salt to a tank with Corys in. Salt baths only for them, but it doesn’t seem like a fungal issue so salt wouldn’t be advisable.

Offline Beckins

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2020, 07:53:24 AM »
There are no corys in quarantine tank only 3 tetra and a rainbow fish.  :fishy1:

Offline Hampalong

• Global Moderator
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2020, 05:51:47 PM »
My bad. Thought you had Corys for some reason. :)

Offline fcmf

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2020, 06:08:17 PM »
My bad. Thought you had Corys for some reason. :)
Yes, Beckins' cories are in the main tank, not the quarantine tank.  Following the salt bath in whatever container that is done in, the afflicted tetras would be returned to the quarantine tank, so the cories should be fine and won't be subject to any residual salt expelled as they'll be in the main tank.  :D

Offline Beckins

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2020, 06:19:09 PM »
I do but they're in the main tank :D

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Fishy fungus"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
7 Replies
Last post August 19, 2013, 10:16:49 AM
by Cinders
12 Replies
Last post January 07, 2015, 01:58:18 PM
by fishcake76
6 Replies
Last post July 16, 2015, 01:12:19 PM
by Extreme_One
12 Replies
Last post January 27, 2017, 07:28:56 PM
by Littlefish
6 Replies
Last post October 28, 2019, 11:54:51 AM
by Sue
12 Replies
Last post July 05, 2020, 07:44:30 PM
by Beckins
9 Replies
Last post April 04, 2021, 08:52:35 AM
by Matt

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: