Ember Tetra - Fast Breathing - Thoughts?

Author Topic: Ember tetra - fast breathing - thoughts?  (Read 6087 times) 2 replies

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
Ember tetra - fast breathing - thoughts?
« on: October 09, 2023, 01:08:36 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Here is a video of one of my embers https:///youtu.be/UFx92wsmMjM - just insert or copy & paste the url into the search bar to view it.  [Please excuse unsightly water marks on tank's background/wallpaper.]  She is breathing fast but the only other sign of anything untoward is a ?protrusion (albeit not through flesh) of ? internal organs.  If she weren't breathing fast, I'd probably just assume the ?protrusion was natural variation. 

However, some of the microdevario kubotai I used to have ~5-6 years ago often resembled this until ultimately the flesh 'opened up'. I did wonder at the time if fish TB / mycobacterium was present - I had elderly x-ray tetras and harlequin rasboras, many of whom were developing spinal deformities (but, having consulted a fish expert at Practical Fishkeeping, impossible to definitively say without a post-mortem whether simply old age or fish TB) and I also wondered if the filter output flow had been too strong and contributory to or causing this or the MDKs' concurrent scoliosis as viewed from above and post-mortem.

I can eliminate strong filter output flow as a cause/contribution - I've been using a softer output flow via a spraybar in recent years, and certainly pre-existence of embers.  In the last few months, I have had two other fatalities - one of the adopted cardinals (whose full background/age/heritage I'm not fully abreast of - likely columnaris which that species seems most prone to IME) and an espei rasbora (sudden decline over the course of a week - concave belly, 'knifeback' appearance, bent spine and skinny when viewed from above) but my instinct is that these are each isolated.

Thoughts welcome on:
* is this a 'protrusion' I'm seeing, or just natural variation?
* as water quality is optimum as per usual, is there anything I can do?
I'm reluctant to isolate her in the QT (unless *absolutely necessary*) as, IME, it seems to do more harm than good. 

[PS. For own protection, weekly fishtank maintenance regime in recent years has involved full-length plastic gloves*, safety glasses and surgical mask in the event of splashes. (* also for any additional fishtank tinkering.)]

Offline Hampalong

• Global Moderator
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
Re: Ember tetra - fast breathing - thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2023, 01:45:09 PM »
I’ve pasted it into YouTube and google... it doesn’t take me to your video. Not that I can help anyway, probably...

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
Re: Ember tetra - fast breathing - thoughts?
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2023, 10:54:25 AM »
Thanks for your efforts anyway, Hampalong.
I've been monitoring the situation and had several opportunities to view the fish from above.  The spine is not bent, and the internal organs are not protruding on one side.  However, they do look more visible (enlarged/?reddened) [lower fish in photo], and she continues to breathe fast.  She's eating well, very sociable and inquisitive, etc. 
I could isolate her and treat for ?bacterial infection but, on balance, definitely think the isolation and treatment (when not clearcut what is actually up) would do more harm than good...

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Ember tetra - fast breathing - thoughts?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
43 Replies
Last post December 15, 2013, 12:45:24 PM
by Sue
3 Replies
Last post November 10, 2013, 07:34:43 PM
by Sue
2 Replies
Last post July 27, 2014, 05:16:42 PM
by Puffin
2 Replies
Last post October 30, 2014, 07:43:16 PM
by naughtymoose
3 Replies
Last post November 18, 2014, 02:50:51 PM
by Richard W
128 Replies
Last post December 10, 2016, 10:13:04 PM
by fcmf
12 Replies
Last post March 10, 2017, 10:23:13 PM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: