Betta Death From Dropsy, What To Do?

Author Topic: Betta death from Dropsy, what to do?  (Read 3658 times) 4 replies

Offline jesnon

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Betta death from Dropsy, what to do?
« on: July 24, 2019, 07:45:27 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi all, long time no visit!! Hope you all and your many tanks are well! After a long time without my tank running (after my last betta’s death) I finally set my tank up again and had a lovely purple female Betta and some large Amano shrimp. The tank has been running for several months without issue. The Betta was very happy and healthy until suddenly last week she was off her food, and the next day she was bloated. Then I also noticed her scales were sticking out and googled the symptoms to realise she had dropsy. I had tried to treat for constipation (pea) but she just wasn’t eating and sadly died this morning. Gutted.

I am just wondering if the infection can effect the shrimp? I’m not sure what to do as I would like to get more fish later but I’m aware I should probably clean the tank thoroughly, however it’s occupied with shrimp so I can’t do that! Any advice?

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
Re: Betta death from Dropsy, what to do?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2019, 07:59:13 PM »
Hi Jesnon, indeed long time no see  :) But I am sorry you've had to come back with bad news  :(

A fish infection should not infect shrimps, but it could be in the water. The safest option would be to leave the tank with just shrimps for a few weeks. That should allow time for a disease organism to die off. In the meantime, plenty of water changes and gravel (if you have gravel) cleans to remove as many pathogens as possible.
As for the bacteria dying off, if you have live plants in the tank they should remove ammonia once you get more fish. Is this still the Fluval Edge? If it is, floating plants might not work. But any fast growing plants would do.

The other option is to keep it as just a shrimp tank.

Offline jesnon

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2019, 08:21:41 PM »
Hi Sue, lovely to see you’re still frequenting the forum with your amazing advice as always!

Yes I’m sorry to visit with such bad news! I had my previous Betta for the longest period of time so had been hoping I’d gotten things right this time too but sadly no such luck!

It’s good that the shrimp should be unaffected, I’ll keep up regular changes and reasses in a few weeks what to do next. Yep I’ve still got the edge! It’s looking really scruffy these days and none of my lights work any more (from
condensation in the light unit). Hoping to get that sorted if it’s possble to do simply. Once that’s sorted I can look at plants again, I think I had some duck weed (or something like that!) which worked ok in the tank. I used to have java plants on wood but I haven’t had anything other than moss balls for a long time. Ideally I’d like another Betta but I have considered going for a shrimp only tank as I do love shrimp!

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2019, 08:28:05 PM »
So sorry to hear about your betta.  :(

Offline Sue

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2019, 08:56:27 PM »
Since you have amanos already, it would be best to stick with amanos. Years ago when I first got my red cherries and they all died another member on here asked me if they were in the same tank as my amano shrimps as the larger amanos can intimidate smaller shrimps. (Mine were in different tanks so that was OK)
Though I suppose other shrimps the same size as amanos might be OK.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Betta death from Dropsy, what to do?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
1 Replies
Last post October 17, 2012, 05:00:58 PM
by Sue
1 Replies
Last post October 09, 2014, 04:01:14 PM
by Sue
2 Replies
Last post January 23, 2015, 02:54:34 PM
by Fiona
0 Replies
Last post May 01, 2015, 06:42:14 PM
by Fiona
2 Replies
Last post April 13, 2016, 05:36:05 PM
by fruitbat
10 Replies
Last post July 17, 2017, 05:16:03 AM
by Hampalong
31 Replies
Last post February 09, 2019, 09:12:26 PM
by uv

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: