Accidentally Dropped One Of My White Cloud Mountain Minnows

Author Topic: Accidentally dropped one of my white cloud mountain minnows  (Read 8130 times) 21 replies

Offline Rainbow101

• Tropical Fish Forum User
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I was just about to start cleaning out my white and gold cloud mountain minnows when I dropped one on the floor. I was using the net to try and get them into what I call their cleaning out and transfer bag. The first one I picked up in the net jumped out and landed on the floor from quite a big drop. I quickly scooped him up although he kept jumping on the floor. When he first dropped he was just laying there without moving. As soon as I put him into the bag, he started swimming around like crazy. I got the rest and he calmed down. When I put them in the tank I gave them some food and they all ate. They usually don't right away. From this information, will he be ok? Anything else you can add would be greatly appreciated  :fishy1:

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Accidentally dropped one of my white cloud mountain minnows
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2016, 09:40:19 AM »
Hi Rainbow  :wave:

I have dropped fish before  :-[ The main thing is to pick them up without causing damage eg squashing them with the edge of the net or burning their skin with your hand. Keep a close eye on the white clouds - it will be hard to see which one it was so you'll need to watch all of them. And do extra water changes to keep the water very clean.
You will be looking for disintegrating fins, red patches on the body etc. If everything is still OK this time next week, you can relax.

I was once transferring some cherry barbs from one tank to another and hadn't realised that one female had missed the tank. She was on the floor for about 15 mins before I found her. She was covered in fluff but I did not attempt to remove the fluff, just put her in the tank and let the fluff float off. The edges of her fins had dried up and cracked off but after a few days they had completely regrown and I couldn't tell which one she was from the group of females.

Can I ask, it sounds as though you were removing the fish to clean the tank? Do you always do this? It is much less stressful to leave them in the tank. Netting them is worse than cleaning around them.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2016, 09:53:03 AM »
Hi Rainbow and welcome to the forum.  :wave:

We all do things that cause a panic, and more often than not things are fine. In the past few months I've left 1 fish in a small amount of water in a tank without a filter or heater, because I was transferring them to another tank to replant their original tank, and missed one during removal. Noticed him the following morning when I went to clear out the tank. He's fine. I've had fish stuck between rocks and the tank, that was worrying. My most recent one, which even the guy at the LFS felt perfectly entitled to laugh at and liken it to "looking for your glasses when they are on your head", happened when moving silver hatchets between tanks. They make me a bit nervous in case they jump out of the water (predator response). Had caught all except one, when I heard the characteristic noise of a fish jumping out of the water. Panic! Looked all around the tank multiple times, couldn't find it, checked the tank, more panic. I still had the net in my hand, whilst doing another lap of the carpet around the tank.  Eventually noticed that he'd jumped into the net. Popped him onto the other tank, everything was fine.  ::)

I agree with Sue that it is much easier to clean around the fish rather than removing them.

Offline Rainbow101

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2016, 10:07:24 AM »
Hi. Thanks for answering. Yes I always do this to clean them out. I always think I'd suck them up the siphon or something. I know it's silly. It's only 28 litre tank if that helps. I will also be looking out for all of those things. Thanks for your help.  :fishy1:

Offline Sue

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2016, 10:14:25 AM »
I have also siphoned fish up during a water change. But as long as you keep your eyes on the fish, they'll be OK. It's the nosey ones who go to see what the tube is (and can they eat it or mate with it) that are most at risk.
It is much less stressful for the fish if you leave them in there.

Offline Rainbow101

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2016, 10:23:22 AM »
Ok. Thanks. I will be sure to keep them in their tank on the next water change. Thank you :fishy1: :cheers:

Offline Cora

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2016, 10:40:46 AM »
I've seen a Scissortail drop from at least 3 feet in the air onto a hard floor when my sister was giving him to me. He was absolutely fine :)

Offline ColinB

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2016, 10:46:47 AM »
When I had guppies one of them jumped out while I was doing a water change.... and he bounced off the cabinet, then off the steps and then on to the floor. He was fine.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2016, 10:55:19 AM »
Colin, are you sure that he was a real one and not a rubber one?  ;D

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2016, 11:23:06 AM »
I've not dropped a fish but I have sucked a pygmy cory and a dwarf puffer up the siphon tube, not from the same tank or at the same time I hasten to add. The rather confused cory ended up in the bucket and got returned to the tank, the puffer somehow managed to stay in the pipe swimming like fury to beat the current until I noticed he was there and stopped the flow with my finger  ::)

I'm sure your minnow will survive its little adventure.

Welcome to the forum btw  :wave:

Offline Rainbow101

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2016, 11:29:38 AM »
Hi all. Thanks very much for replying. I feel more reassured that he'll be ok. Will just keep an eye on him  :wave:

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2016, 09:52:48 PM »
I was once transferring some cherry barbs from one tank to another and hadn't realised that one female had missed the tank. She was on the floor for about 15 mins before I found her. She was covered in fluff but I did not attempt to remove the fluff, just put her in the tank and let the fluff float off. The edges of her fins had dried up and cracked off but after a few days they had completely regrown and I couldn't tell which one she was from the group of females.

Incredible she lasted 15 mins out of water!!! What a fish!!!

I have also siphoned fish up during a water change. But as long as you keep your eyes on the fish, they'll be OK. It's the nosey ones who go to see what the tube is (and can they eat it or mate with it) that are most at risk.
It is much less stressful for the fish if you leave them in there.

I frequently get Neons swimming up the syphon tube (mine is over two feet long and quite broad oval-shaped) and they never seem to be in a panic to get out, they just hang in there, swimming down against the flow of water, while I watch closely and pinch the hose if they get too close to the top, which has a flapper valve which would prevent them getting up into the hose anyway but I don't want them pinned against the valve.

I've seen a Scissortail drop from at least 3 feet in the air onto a hard floor when my sister was giving him to me. He was absolutely fine :)

Does this fish have a cape, by any chance? #superfish

Offline Sue

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2016, 10:41:22 AM »

Incredible she lasted 15 mins out of water!!! What a fish!!!

I was astounded.
I moved the fish from the 125 into my old 60 litre. It took ages to catch them all one by one, then the 125 needed tidying up after all the rearrangement of decor that I'd had to do to catch them. It was only then that I found the fish on the floor and assumed it was dead - till I picked her up and she twitched. I knew the worst thing I could do would be to try and pick the fluff off her so I lowered her into the water where she sank to the bottom, gasping. Within a few minutes she started swimming and within a couple of hours the only way I could identify the fish was by the damaged fins. The fluff protected her from burns from my skin when I picked her up and it came off bit by bit over about an hour. I can only assume the fluff also stopped her drying out.

Cherry barbs are a very hardy species which is why I was very surprised that they were the first victims of the whitespot (or import spot) infection.

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2016, 11:02:07 AM »
That is astonishing  :o

I wasn't aware of the burning on human hands... Is it the temperature or the oils on the skin that do the damage?

Offline Sue

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2016, 11:38:09 AM »
Human hands are at 37o while the fish live at 25o-ish so we are quite a bit warmer. Touching the fish, especially with dry hands, will also damage the slime coat. Both together will cause damage to the fish.
To pick up a fish from the floor, either use a net, very carefully to avoid squashing, or a tissue/paper towel soaked in tank water. Or in an emergency, use your hand but wet it in the tank first, be as quick as possible and watch the fish for skin damage.

The only reason I picked up that barb was because I thought she was dead. Until she twitched. And the fluff she was covered with insulated her from my dry hands.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2016, 11:48:27 AM »
Useful information, thanks Sue.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2016, 12:11:05 PM »
My Mums cat once left a large koi carp on the back step, I have no idea where it got it from or how long it had been there but when we lifted it up some of the scales were left on the stone, the house gets sun from first thing in the morning and we were sure it would be dead but it jerked when we picked it up. As it was still alive Mum put it in a bucket of water (tap with no conditioner  :o as we didnt know any better). Then late morning she knocked on a friends door as she knew they had a pond and it got put in there. I know it was still there years later.

Offline Richard W

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2016, 04:30:50 PM »
Anglers catch thousands of fish every year and return them, usually with no negative effects. Some large carp are known to have been caught numerous times over many years but continue to thrive. So I do think that the effect of human hands on fish is greatly exaggerated.

I once moved a Zebra danio from one tank to another, it jumped out of the net onto the floor in a corner. It took me quite a while to find it and it was pretty dry when I did, but it revived instantly when put into the new tank and was feeding merrily 20 minutes later.

Offline Sue

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2016, 04:35:41 PM »
That sounds like my barb. Was your danio covered in fluff, or was there no carpet round the tank? I didn't dare pick the fluff off as I didn't know how much damage I'd do so I left it to come off by itself in the water. Then I removed the fluff with a net.

Offline Richard W

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2016, 04:39:25 PM »
Mine was covered in dust and fluff, much like anything on my floor .................

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Accidentally dropped one of my white cloud mountain minnows"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
6 Replies
Last post June 20, 2013, 09:27:09 PM
by Gaynor
7 Replies
Last post August 19, 2013, 10:16:49 AM
by Cinders
16 Replies
Last post November 15, 2014, 12:12:44 PM
by Sue
5 Replies
Last post November 28, 2014, 12:42:24 PM
by Aquamaid
6 Replies
Last post November 16, 2015, 08:41:21 PM
by fcmf
9 Replies
Last post January 21, 2016, 01:46:53 PM
by Sanjo
27 Replies
Last post August 22, 2016, 10:11:02 PM
by Littlefish

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: