A Sad Little Green Tiger Barb

Author Topic: A sad little Green Tiger Barb  (Read 20279 times) 55 replies

Offline Smurrayuk

• Fishy Member
A sad little Green Tiger Barb
« on: April 24, 2013, 11:12:40 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I am new to the world of fish keeping so would appreciate a little help if anyone can?!

I set up my 35l tank a couple of weeks ago without any fish leaving it for about 4-5 days before adding any, I then bought a Green Tiger Barb, a Red Wag Platy and a Yellowtailed Snakeskin Guppy. All seemed ok, apart from the Guppy who has taken to hassling the Barb by pecking at its pectoral fins. I have been watching its fins, they do not appear damaged and the Barb wasn't particularly bothered by it, I think I just have an annoying little guppy with 'small fish syndrome'.

After about 10 days I did my first clean, since then the Barb seems really unhappy. It didn't eat at all last night, although this morning it obviously got a hungry because it went mad for the food!  It has seemed really jumpy as well since the clean, if I go near the tank it will dart all over the place and then hide behind the plants I have growing in the corner.

Can anyone offer any advice?  I'm not sure if perhaps the new water I put it is still adjusting, I did about a 25% change. I cleaned my filter in the bucket with the old water. And I added some chemicals to the new water to remove the chlorine and nitrates.

Thanks

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Neon Tetra (8) - Platy (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Japonica Shrimp (1) - Neon Tetra (8) - Platy (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Japonica Shrimp (1) - Ram / Butterfly Cichlid (1) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline jesnon

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: A sad little Green Tiger Barb
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 11:42:19 AM »
I'm new to fish keeping too myself, this forum and its seasoned members have proved an invaluable resource!

I'm a little concerned by what you're saying - you left the water for 4 - 5 days after adding fish? Tropical fish need something called the nitrogen cycle to be established in order for them to be happy and well, and this can take anywhere between 6 - 8 weeks or more. Fish produce ammonia, which is poisonous to them. Ammonia is converted to nitrite, which again is poisonous to them. Nitrite is eventually converted to nitrate, which is lower levels is all well and good. What you're doing right now appears to be a 'fish in cycle' - however, it sounds like you've only done one water change since you got your fish? Have you got a test kit in order to test Ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrite and your Ph? Ammonia and nitrite need to be kept at 0 or 0.25 in order for your fish to be happy. Since you haven't cycled your filter, I would imagine you'd need to be doing water changes every day in order to bring the levels in your tank to an acceptable level. Don't panic - it is possible, but you really need to keep this up for the long-term happiness of your fishies! Whenever you add new water it's important that it's treated with a dechlorinator and warmed to roughly the same temperature as the water in the tank.

Here's Sue's article about fish-in cycling:

http://www.thinkfish.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,17.0.html

I would imagine some other more experience people will pop by to your thread to advise you more too!

Also a note about your filter - at this stage it is better to leave it well alone for about a month or so, in order for the correct bacteria to grow on it. Also what chemicals are you adding to remove nitrates?

Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Smurrayuk

• Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 12:15:10 PM »
Thanks for the early reply. When I did the change I added a chemical to remove the chlorine and chloramines and another called 'quick start' which says it removes ammonia and nitrites. I do not have anything to test the water quality, but I'm thinking of taking a sample to my LFS this afternoon to get them to do it ASAP!!!

When you say a water change everyday, how much are we talking? 30% again or less....or more?

The other two fish seem perfectly happy, except the guppy has stopped pestering the barb!?!

Neon Tetra (8) - Platy (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Japonica Shrimp (1) - Neon Tetra (8) - Platy (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Japonica Shrimp (1) - Ram / Butterfly Cichlid (1) -

Offline ColinB

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 12:21:53 PM »
Everything Jesnon said is correct.... you need a test kit a.s.a.p.

Tiger barbs are shoaling species and need a) at least 6, and better 10 to be happy, and b) a tank that's at least 60cm long as they're active fish. It's no wonder yours is so unhappy.

At the top bar of the page is a tab 'information' and in there is 'knowledge' - please start reading the articles and we'll do everything possible to help you.

I would suggest taking your Tiger Barb back to the shop and explaining what's happened.... it will only be miserable in your set-up.

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline jesnon

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 12:38:43 PM »
Is it Tetra Safe Start? A few of us have had some success building up the right bacteria with that or helping speed things up, but it's not always a guarantee. Worth a try though! I think the water changes depend on the level of ammonia and nitrite you have. The higher the level, the more water you have to change. If it's really high you could need to do up to a 90% water change. After you've done the water change you need to test the water again after about 30 minutes when it's all mixed round to check it's down to the required level safe for your fish.

Basically the best thing you can do right now is head out to your LFS and buy an API test kit (normally they're cheaper online, but I think it's worth spending the extra money to get it right now!). Test your water as soon as you've got it - if either ammonia or nitrite are above 0.25, do a water change to bring it down.

After that read as much as you can about fish-in cycling, the nitrogen cycle and your fish and you'll feel a bit better. It's all very over-whelming at first, so the more you read the more sense it makes and the easier life is!

I'd also recommend setting your tank measurements up on the Community Creator here (http://www.thinkfish.co.uk/article/community-creator.html) and working out what fish you want eventually and if there are any problems. It looks like Colin has found a problem with your tiger barbs so any other issues like that you can sort out before you get too attached to the idea of certain fish. Guppies are also a little notorious for being sickly fish, so it might be better to swap him for the time being for more hardy fish who will handle the fish-in cycle better. I know it's not ideal but might be better in the long run.

Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -

Offline Smurrayuk

• Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 12:52:21 PM »
Thanks for all the info, I'm working a late shift this evening. I'm able to get out and a out at work though so I'll take a sample of water to work with me. I'll speak to them there about returning the fish and exchanging it for another species.

I'm lucky to have 5-6 LFS where I live so I'll shop around a bit if I have any problems with this one. When I first went in the seemed pretty good, they advised against neon tetras saying they are not as hardy as they used to be and that these were tough little things.  They also said to leave the tank with this three for a couple of weeks then bring in a sample of water to check before they'll sell me any more to me, which I thought was responsible as they could have told me to keep adding to make money out of me....although I know not to do that!!

I'll update you when I done this.  Thanks again.

Offline ColinB

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 12:56:49 PM »
Perfect advice here.

Please see if you can get that Tiger Barb back - with an API test kit we can get you through a fish-in cycle as long as you keep us well informed as to your test results.

I've kept a Platy and two Guppies quite happily in my 25litre isolation tank for a couple of months so it is possible with care and patience.

If you really want Tiger Barbs then wait until you've learnt about keeping fish that thrive in your water, and then get a suitable sized tank and you'll have a lovely display - Tiger Barbs are great fish. Here's the ThinkFish link to Tiger Barbs... Clickety Click.

....and sorry to go on a bit, but after you've taken your barb back and got an API test kit.... then see if you can find another Local Fish Shop (LFS) as any shop that lets you out of the door with that combination of fish without asking you some serious, searching questions is not to be trusted. Just a thought.

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline ColinB

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2013, 01:00:39 PM »
Ah - you replied as I did. Good ideas - but don't get another fish, it will only add to your 'bioload' and make it more difficult to cycle the tank. Get a credit note or money off the API kit - or just give it back and take the hit. They really shouldn't have let you take those fish knowing the size of your tank and that it was un-cycled. Totally irresponsible of them.

Offline Smurrayuk

• Fishy Member
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2013, 01:30:05 PM »
Just spoke to them on the phone, spoke to a different member of staff this time.  She said it was not a good combination of fish, she suggested initially testing the water with them and also removing the guppy and add another barb or two? I'm thinking if anything the other way around and avoiding barbs?!

Offline ColinB

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2013, 01:49:23 PM »
Yep - avoid Tiger Barbs in that sized tank. Stick with the Platy and Guppy for now and don't add anymore fish until the tank is cycled.

I've just used the Community Creator with your tank and stock (I assumed a length of 30cm and an actual water volume of 30litres, plus an internal filter) and you're 23% stocked without the Tiger Barb. You should be able to get through a fish-in cycle with that, though guppies can be a bit fragile.

Adding a Tiger Barb raises that to 40% (far too much for a fish-in cycle) and throws up a number of warnings about tank size, the need for them to be in shoals, and that they're nippy and likely to take chunks out of your guppies tail fin.

Afterwards (say two months) you could perhaps add three cherry barbs (1m:2f), they're really interesting fish and tough little things and will be fine in that sized tank.

Hope this helps - keep letting us know how you're getting on - we love to help.

We also love pictures! Of the tank - not you ;D

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2013, 01:51:29 PM »
Tiger barbs are shoaling fish that live in groups of thousands in the wild. When there aren't enough of them their instincts tell them that the reason there are so few is that something has eaten all the others so they'd better be on constant look out for the predator - and this is very stressful for a fish.
Tiger barbs are also one of the nippiest fish you can buy. In their huge shoals they have a heirarchy and the pecking order is maintained by the upper members nipping the lower ones. When there aren't enough of them, they start to include other species in the heirarchy and nip them as well. This is why tiger barbs need to be kept in greater numbers than the usual 6 recommended for shoaling species, and why their tank mates should be chosen with care.

Offline Smurrayuk

• Fishy Member
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2013, 04:15:59 PM »
Water test done; ammonia levels ok but the nitrite was too high. They recommended remove the barb altogether, cut the feeding down to once a day, do another water change and add some more nitrite remover.

They said to leave it with two fish for 2-3 more weeks and come back.

They have also apologised for the poor advice and being sold the barb.  Just got to get rid of the snails I've just found now!!!

Offline ColinB

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2013, 04:27:10 PM »
Can you give us the levels?

The only OK reading for Ammonia is 0ppm and it must be kept below 0.25ppm, and your only going to get Nitrites if you have the Ammonia eating bacteria to convert Ammonia to Nitrites. Do a water change to bring the Nitrites down to below 0.25ppm.... you can't remove all the Nitrites otherwise the Nitrite eating bacteria will never get established and your tank will never cycle properly, so Nitrite remover is another poor recommendation. Then only go back when the tank is fully cycled plus two or three weeks, not two or three from now. (...and preferably to a different LFS!)

Did you get a test kit?

Will they take the barb back? Otherwise 'remove the barb altogether' has a very sinister meaning! :o

Offline Smurrayuk

• Fishy Member
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2013, 05:14:45 PM »
Didn't get the levels. I have bought a testing kits myself though, so I'll do some testing later.

Thankfully they will take the barb back, I'll be doing that tomorrow first thing!!

Offline ColinB

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2013, 05:22:56 PM »
Didn't get the levels. I have bought a testing kits myself though, so I'll do some testing later.

Thankfully they will take the barb back, I'll be doing that tomorrow first thing!!

Excellent news!

Offline Smurrayuk

• Fishy Member
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2013, 10:05:12 AM »
A few water changes later and here are some results:-

NO3 - 50
NO2 - 0
GH - 16
KH - 6
pH - 7.6-8
CL2 - 0

It looks like nitrate is high, so should I be doing another water change or just add some more 'quick start', which helps dissolve the nitrate?

Offline Sue

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2013, 10:27:07 AM »
Those results look like they are from a strip rather than liquid testers - there's no ammonia but there is a result for chlorine. If it is a strip, I would not take the readings too seriously as strips are notorious for being inaccurate. You really do need an ammonia tester as well, as that is usually the first thing to cause problems.

What is the nitrate level in your tapwater? The UK allows up to 50ppm, that is a possible source of most of your nitrate. When your tapwater has high nitrate, water changes will not get it any lower than the tap level.
Quick Start does nothing for nitrate levels. It is one of those products that claim to add ammonia- and nitrite-eating bacteria. In fact if it does work it will cause higher levels of nitrate as that is what the bacteria make.

If the reading can be believed, your nitrite is fine, but you don't know yoyour ammonia level, which may or may not be OK.
Check the nitrate level in your tapwater. If it is 30 or above, your tank nitrate is OK. The general aim is to stop the tankwater nitrate getting more than 20 above the level in your tapwater.
But if your tap nitrate is a lot lower then 30, yes you do need to do a water change.

Most fish are OK in nitrates up to 100. There are a few nitrate-sensitive fish, but you don't have any.

Offline Smurrayuk

• Fishy Member
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2013, 12:49:26 PM »
Straight from the tap are as follows:-

NO3 - 25
NO2 - 0
GH - 16
KH - 15
pH - 7.2-7.6
CL2 - 0.8

I'll have to get some ammonia testing kits.

Offline ColinB

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2013, 02:00:45 PM »
That variation in KH shows how vague the test strips are.... you'd be far better off with an API Master Test Kit which tests for pH, Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate. I started off with strips and very soon bought one of these kits.

With your pH, KH, GH and Nitrate figures looking a lot like mine I would hazard a guess thet you live in Southern Central England or the South East. My water figures (after standing overnight... the water - not me!) are pH 7.4, GH 16o and KH 12o, with 25ppm Nitrates, and I live in Buckinghamshire.

Offline Sue

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2013, 02:08:59 PM »
So your tank nitrate is about 25 higher than the tap nitrate. In that case yes, a water change would help. How often do you clean the tank, how much water do you take out (roughly, a fifth, half etc?) and do you clean the gravel, if that's what's on the bottom, at the same time?
There are a few causes of a too-high nitrate. Too many fish for the tank size; feeding too much; not cleaning any left over food out of the gravel; not doing frequent enough water changes; not doing big enough water changes.

And don't worry about the difference in pH. Freshly run tapwater usually has a different pH from tank water or tapwater that's stood for 24 hours. A lot of water cpmanies add carbon dioxide to the water to help prevent limescale deposits in the mains pipes. This makes the water slightly acid, but it gasses out when the tapwater stands so the pH rises slightly.

Colin- if the nitrate is high, could that be reducing the KH so much? I'm very aware of what acids (nitrite, nitrate) can do after the pH crash when I was cycling.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "A sad little Green Tiger Barb"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
5 Replies
Last post February 04, 2014, 07:10:25 PM
by Sue
28 Replies
Last post January 27, 2015, 06:31:16 PM
by Sanjo
6 Replies
Last post June 22, 2015, 06:22:09 PM
by Extreme_One
4 Replies
Last post February 08, 2016, 07:48:58 AM
by Extreme_One
8 Replies
Last post February 16, 2016, 01:47:00 PM
by fcmf
4 Replies
Last post November 01, 2016, 07:48:42 AM
by ColinB
12 Replies
Last post December 04, 2022, 09:45:56 PM
by Robert

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: