Author Topic: New Tank ideas :)  (Read 3696 times) 11 replies

Offline Beckins

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
New Tank ideas :)
« on: May 11, 2020, 10:52:58 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi guys,

So I'm currently fishless cycling my tank using the ammonia method and I'm still trying to perfect what stock I'd like. Have been looking on the community creator to help but would just like some of you guys advice alongside that :).

This is my tank at the moment and the fish I've chosen.

My concern is I have heard things about the cichlids potentially eating the smaller fish!? seem to be mixed messages everywhere, trop co who sells them has them compatible on their chart and also the creator has no issues with them. Does anyone have experience keeping them with smaller fish? I chose them because of their striking colours as centre peice fish alongside the shoaling fish I have, any other suggestions if not these cichlid? I like angel fish but read the same about eating smaller ones!

My water is moderately soft at 3 degrees German. 23mg/l ca. 

I also have an air line in behind my pirate ship and my lil skeleton dude drinks his rum every now n again  :fishy1:

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: New Tank ideas :)
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2020, 11:29:09 AM »
Of the cichlids on your list, they won't eat any of the other fish on the list as they themselves are quite small.
But I need to warn you that most of us believe the community creator is too generous, and we only stock to 75% of what it says you can have.

Looking at your list, a couple of things stand out.

Firstly, in a tank this size, only one species of cichlid. There is not enough room for several territories.

Rams need warmer water than other fish, temperature in the upper 20s C. They would be fine with cardinal tetras, but the rest of the fish on your list prefer 'normal' tropical temperatures of around 25oC

So I would go for a pair of either cockatoo cichlids or agassizis. They need to choose their own mates. This means you need to buy them in person, unfortunately, so you may well have to wait to get them. The way to buy these cichlids is to stand in front of the shop tank keeping quite still. Eventually they forget you are there and start behaving naturally. Males will be pushing at each other, females will be getting on with life. If a male allows a female to remain near him and not chase her away they are more likely to be a bonded pair, though not guaranteed. Take someone with you and when you've identified a pair send your friend to find as assistant while you keep your eyes on the fish.

You have 4 shoaling species listed - I would go with 2, maybe 3, but have more of them.

Your photo shows quite a few 'cave' spaces which is good as apistos like to spawn in caves.

One last comment - 3 dH is soft rather than moderately soft - was it your water company which used those words? For some reason, the words water companies use always make the water sound harder than fishkeepers consider it  :)

Offline Beckins

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2020, 12:03:57 PM »
Thanks for your reply sue :) Yes getting the pair is going to be difficult as my local fish shop didnt even stock any of those cichlid :( I was going to buy them online. Is one alone not likely to be happy then?

I might skip the harlequins then as they were only an after thought as the calculator did seem to allow more than I was expecting to be able to stock!

Yes my water company website said moderately soft!

Offline Beckins

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2020, 12:05:51 PM »
How about skipping the cichlids and opting for a couple of angel fishes as I cant get the cichlids from local shop? Are they safe with the small fish? And would I need a pair or better a couple of males or a couple of females?

Offline Sue

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2020, 12:16:13 PM »
I'm afraid your tank is too small for angelfish, they need 50 cm water depth and a longer tank. And they also need to be a bonded pair or a group of at least 6 in a very big tank.
Most American cichlids need to choose their own mates or there is a good likelihood that one will end up dead, usually the female. With two males, one will end up being bullied if not killed.

However, there is a cichlid that would be fine as a single - Bolivian rams, which don't need the warmer water which 'ordinary' rams need. They are not as colourful as some other cichlids but they can still be nice fish. Your substrate looks to be quite fine - they are 'earth eaters' which means they take a mouthful of substrate and sift it for food. As I know the hard way, gravel is not suitable for them  :(

Offline Beckins

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2020, 12:36:11 PM »
The Bolivian rams look lovely :) perhaps I will opt with one of those if I cant get hold of the apisto pair then :-)

I was not totally sold on the Angel's so not too worried on that one, they always look a little 'dopey' the way they dont move about much I think  :rotfl:

Offline Beckins

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2020, 12:48:15 PM »
Thoughts on dwarf gourami? They come in some colours too.

Offline Sue

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2020, 01:49:33 PM »
There are problems with dwarf gouramis. Those imported from breeding farms in the far east (ie most of them) are usually infected with an incurable disease and commonly die within a few months of purchase. If you can source them from a local breeder, fine, otherwise I wouldn't risk it.

Honey gouramis, on the other hand, don't have this problem. You'll find honeys often referred to as dwarf honeys  but they are a different species from dwarf gouramis. They would also be fine with your choice of shoaling fish except maybe the rainbowfish. Gouramis are sedate fish, and active swimmers like the rainbowfish stress sedate swimmers just by being so active.
In a tank your size, 1 male 2 females would work. But if buying on line, they may not give the option to choose the sex so be careful. 2 males is not a good idea.
They come in at least 3 colour varieties - natural (tan male, beige female), yellow and red. Natural is easiest to sex, yellows next easiest and red quite hard.

Offline Beckins

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2020, 02:29:45 PM »
Thankyou for all the fab information :) I only had a  quick look in my local fish shop the other day as i was conscious of other people waiting to get in cause of the maximum people allowed in the shop due to corona virus, so I will have a better look once my tank is cycled. I know it can take time but a week has already felt like forever with not much happening! Might be getting some water from a friends established filter if he remembers hoping that might speed it up a bit, cant wait to get some lil fishes in!

Offline Sue

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2020, 02:35:49 PM »
Ask your friend for some filter media - given them some of your in return. The bacteria we want to grow live on surfaces rather then in the water.

If you decide on honey gouramis, let me know the colour you want. Naturals are easy because males and females are different colours (though males can look pale in shop tank) and I've kept the yellow colour so I can give you some pointers.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2020, 06:42:44 PM »
Fishless cycling can feel like an eternity, but you are doing the right thing for your future fish.

Offline Beckins

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2020, 09:33:47 PM »
Fishless cycling can feel like an eternity, but you are doing the right thing for your future fish.

Yes I'd like to think so :D

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "New Tank ideas :)"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
12 Replies
Last post March 13, 2013, 04:36:18 PM
by TigzFish
3 Replies
Last post November 20, 2013, 07:10:53 PM
by Sue
2 Replies
Last post November 16, 2014, 09:12:44 PM
by biffster
18 Replies
Last post March 07, 2015, 06:07:04 PM
by Aquamaid
63 Replies
Last post June 20, 2015, 03:53:38 PM
by Barney626
19 Replies
Last post September 09, 2015, 09:18:02 AM
by Bubblychaz
16 Replies
Last post August 17, 2016, 08:00:42 AM
by ColinB

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: