My New Fish

Author Topic: My New Fish  (Read 2542 times) 9 replies

Offline notungz

• Fishy Member
My New Fish
« on: May 02, 2021, 04:19:39 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi All

A few years ago I had four tanks on the go. As the fish died off I didn't bother replacing them until I was left with just the one live tank.

In between lockdowns last year I decided to get more fish for this tank and bought some Cherry Barbs. I was about to buy more when we went into another lockdown. Last week I went to Pets at Home (nothing else nearby) and bought three Dwarf Gouramis (one male and two females) and three Albino Corys. I still have four Cherry Barbs.

I have been looking at the CC to see what to get next. Albino Corys don't seem to feature so any ideas which is the best fish to use as a substitute on the CC? I used Panda Corys, but that says I need four of them. Also any suggestions what to get next?

My tank is 160 litres and 100cm long so there is plenty of room.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • aka Donna
Re: My New Fish
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2021, 07:27:32 PM »
albino corys are a bit bigger than panda corys, so use panda corys in the CC, but I tend to input 3 pandas for 2 albinos for the calculation. The more the merrier with corys, so I'd be tempted to add a few more to your gang.

I'm not experienced with dwarf gouramis, but some of the others are, so they could give some suggestions as to what could work in the tank with your current fish.  :)

Offline Sue

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2021, 09:07:25 AM »
The minimum number for all cories is 6. These fish live in shoals of hundreds in the wild so they have a hard wired need to be in a group. Albino cories could be one of two or three species, make sure you get more of the same one. You could also get non-albinos of the same species if you'd prefer.
I don't know why cories aren't in the fish database. Over 10 years ago they were - they was an entry 'cories' which represented all the 5 cm cories. Then the site had to change hosts in a hurry, the original forum was lost and cories vanished from the database.

Dwarf gouramis are very hit and miss. Most of the ones bred in the far east are already infected with dwarf gourami disease by the time they arrive at the shop. This is incurable, and commonly kills the gouramis within a few months. You may be lucky and have disease free fish, but if they do have it, don't get any more gouramis of any type for this tank.
Buying 1 male, 2 females was a good idea. For their size, dwarf gouramis are aggressive fish, and males have been known to kill females if he was "in the mood" and she wasn't. With two females to spread any aggression, they shouldn't come to harm.

You have listed 4 cherry barbs, 3 albino cories and 3 dwarf gouramis. Are there any other fish besides these?
I would get more cories to a total of at least 6, and more cherry barbs, again to at least 6. Six is the minimum for shoaling fish but more is always better. There would still be room for another species of shoaling fish.

Offline notungz

• Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2021, 01:04:39 PM »
Thank you for the advice.

Sue. Those ten fish are all that are in there at the moment. I didn't know that about Dwarf Gouramis. I will keep a close eye on them.

I was reading on another site that three is the minimum number for Albino Corys, but six is much better. All the advice so far means that it looks like three more are on my next shopping list.

I was thinking that perhaps I should add to the Cherry Barbs, so three more of those it is too.

That still leaves me lots of room. Maybe some Neons in the future. I know that they are a boring obvious choice, but they are so pretty. Any other ideas?

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2021, 04:47:01 PM »
I don't know why cories aren't in the fish database. Over 10 years ago they were - they was an entry 'cories' which represented all the 5 cm cories. Then the site had to change hosts in a hurry, the original forum was lost and cories vanished from the database.
You could input the similar-sized 'sterbas cory' into the Community Creator / database as a substitute for your albino cories.

That still leaves me lots of room. Maybe some Neons in the future. I know that they are a boring obvious choice, but they are so pretty. Any other ideas?
I love neons and cardinals, and they are particularly good choices if your water is very soft - cardinals possibly being the better option as slightly less prone to 'neon tetra disease'. Alternatively, how about lemon tetras, harlequin rasboras, dwarf rainbowfish, or pencilfish? [Argh - I'm getting another spell of fish broodiness, simply by articulating these suggestions.]

Offline notungz

• Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2021, 05:20:04 PM »
I actually live in a hard water area. Only a few miles from the White Cliffs of Dover, which are obviously chalk. Hopefully Neons would be ok with that because I rather like the idea of getting twelve of them.

That would take it up to nearly 30 fish in all which seems about right.

One thing I didn't mention was that the girl in Pets at Home said I could get more fish after five days. This seemed a bit soon to me. What do you lot think?

Thanks for your help.

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2021, 07:10:05 PM »
Neons' requirements are 18-215 ppm [most up-to-date and comprehensive 'bona fide' source - https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/paracheirodon-innesi/]. If you check your water supplier website, it ought to give the CaCO3/ppm for your postcode to find out if your water meets their requirements.  If not, there are ways of softening your water to meet their requirements, such as Reverse Osmosis water.

5 days would indeed be far too soon to get more fish. Have you been monitoring water quality (ammonia, nitrite and nitrates) daily since getting the new additions and, if so, what have the results been so far?

Offline Sue

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2021, 07:29:52 PM »
There are many websites out there, but anyone can write a website with little or no knowledge. And the database on here is out of date (it was written before 2006) - it says the minimum number for pygmy cories is 4 while 10 is now the minimum number given by experts.

The best site for information on cories is https://www.corydorasworld.com/ which is written by a world renowned cory expert, Ian Fuller.

Unfortunately, cories are also soft water fish which won't do well in hard water.

Offline notungz

• Fishy Member
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2021, 03:15:50 PM »
I looked at  my local water suppliers website and they give a total hardness figure of 300mg which I guess is fairly hard.

On the CC is says that all my fish are ok in hard or very hard water. It's all a bit confusing. Perhaps I might need to rethink what additional fish I should get.

I have kept quite a few different fish in the past without too many problems.

Offline Sue

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2021, 09:14:40 AM »
300 ppm (aka mg/l calcium carbonate) is indeed very hard.
Fish have evolved to cope with a certain mineral level in the water. Hard water fish's bodies excrete most of the hardness minerals they take in. When put in soft water they continue to excrete the minerals but they are not replaced from the water; the fish suffer lack of calcium, which stresses their bodies so they get sick easier. Soft water fish have evolved to hang on to as much of the hardness minerals as possible; put them in hard water and they bodies continue to hang on to the minerals but there are so many in hard water that calcium deposits build up in the organs, shortening their life.
Wild caught fish need to be in water similar to that in which they were living. Commercially bred fish have more tolerance with 'wrong' water but it takes a long time to completely change something hard wired in a fish's DNA.

The fish database on here was written a long time ago. The profiles were here when I joined the forum in 2006 (on the previous website host) and although we have been trying to update them, many are still incorrect now.
The best places to find information are FishBase and Seriously Fish as these have been updated as things have become better understood. When the fish profiles on here were written,for example, the importance of hardness was not understood.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "My New Fish"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
8 Replies
Last post January 10, 2014, 10:45:54 PM
by SteveS
0 Replies
Last post February 25, 2014, 11:01:05 AM
by Robert
7 Replies
Last post May 08, 2015, 08:33:20 PM
by Robert
14 Replies
Last post September 16, 2015, 01:07:32 PM
by Extreme_One
0 Replies
Last post January 14, 2016, 09:27:06 PM
by fcmf
7 Replies
Last post August 05, 2017, 09:10:42 PM
by mizuti
4 Replies
Last post June 27, 2019, 01:16:48 PM
by Littlefish

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: