Karma?

Author Topic: Karma?  (Read 6670 times) 19 replies

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Karma?
« on: January 27, 2016, 04:37:19 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Have I just not seen it before or are those karma ratings under the user name new?

And what exactly are they? I've got 6!

Offline Robert

• Administrator
Re: Karma?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 04:40:40 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Experimental - if someone likes what you posted, they can hit like... The more you get, the higher the score. :)

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Clown Barb (5) - Banded Rainbowfish (2) - Bolivian Ram (4) - Angelfish (1) - Checkered Barb (18) - African Red Eye (4) - Cherry Barb (6) - Neon Tetra (8) - Golden Panchax (1) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 04:49:40 PM »
One further question - didn't there used be a like button in posts? I can't find that now  ???

Offline Robert

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 04:55:54 PM »
Yes Sue, but it didn't work properly - the modification didn't work as advertised and it looked a bit clunky..

Clown Barb (5) - Banded Rainbowfish (2) - Bolivian Ram (4) - Angelfish (1) - Checkered Barb (18) - African Red Eye (4) - Cherry Barb (6) - Neon Tetra (8) - Golden Panchax (1) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2016, 04:58:55 PM »
Ah but, if there's no like button, how do people get karma ratings  ???

Offline Robert

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2016, 05:05:28 PM »
Look to the left, beneath my name there should be the words [like]...

Offline Sue

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2016, 05:10:26 PM »
OK I'm being very thick today.

We earn karma points by people clicking like on a post. But there are no like button in posts for people to click. Or at least I can't see anything under your name apart from Admin, full member, post count and karma.....

And my karma rating is now 7.

Offline Robert

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2016, 05:22:16 PM »
Really!?  :yikes: I'll need to create a ghost account and see what you guys see... Your karma is now 8 ;)

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2016, 06:17:03 PM »
I can't see any "Like" link either. Perhaps it's only active on certain boards?

Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -

Offline Robert

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2016, 06:34:00 PM »
I can't see any "Like" link either. Perhaps it's only active on certain boards?

Really?

Bah.

goes back to drawing board...

Ok I've turned it off for now.  😊 Will investigate and re-enable if it pans out...

Offline Robert

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2016, 07:16:24 PM »
Can someone tell me if they can see the [like] thing now?

Offline Sue

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2016, 07:17:24 PM »
I can confirm that I can now see the like button, right at the bottom under your user name.
And the one under Simon's name a few posts up.

Offline Robert

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2016, 07:22:27 PM »
I can confirm that I can now see the like button, right at the bottom under your user name.
And the one under Simon's name a few posts up.
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2016, 07:51:51 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 2
I see the Like link now.

FWIW I dislike the use of the term Karma for this kind of forum rating system.

As Karma can be both Good or Bad people might ask where the Dislike button is.
With a +/- system you're potentially courting negativity.

I propose substituting the word Karma with the word Approval, and the Like link with a button that looks something like the following (but smaller of course):

I also feel the word Like inside the user's panel implies you're Liking the person (not that that's a problem per se but not really in the spirit of a Karma/Kudos/Approval system) and should really appear as part of the post's furniture rather than the user's.

Just my 2 pennies worth. ;)

Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -

Offline Robert

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2016, 07:59:01 PM »
Thanks Simon, if it's doable without too much pain, I'll have a go.

I've already gotten rid of the negative Karma thing, the button stuff might take a wee while longer  :cheers:

Offline Robert

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2016, 08:10:16 PM »
Ok, we now have the number of likes the person has in the left below their avatars and an up and down thumb in the top right corner of each post.

So, users can get a thumbs up (or down) on their posts and their overall total is reflected and updated incrementally as people across the domain say thanks.

Let's see how it plays out.  I'm bushed! I've been here all day tweaking and fiddling, will check responses tomorrow. Have a great evening all!  :cheers:

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2016, 08:26:01 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 3
Wholeheartedly agree with each of Simon's points and excellent suggestions.

As previously mentioned, although I consider this forum my "spiritual home" and chose it because of its constructive, practical advice and friendliness, I do offer advice to folk with goldfish (and occasionally start-up) problems on a couple of other forums. For some reason, the friendlier one of those has developed a most unpleasant streak in it lately, and I would absolutely hate for anything to potentially spoil the welcoming and positive ambiance we have on this forum, a community which I feel fortunate to be part of.
:cheers:

Appreciate all the good work you're doing on the website, Robert, and, as mentioned yesterday in my PM to you, the new layout of the Tropical Fish Boards on the RHS is a great improvement - thanks!

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2016, 08:41:59 PM »
Ok, we now have the number of likes the person has in the left below their avatars and an up and down thumb in the top right corner of each post.

So, users can get a thumbs up (or down) on their posts and their overall total is reflected and updated incrementally as people across the domain say thanks.

Let's see how it plays out.  I'm bushed! I've been here all day tweaking and fiddling, will check responses tomorrow. Have a great evening all!  :cheers:

Much better!

However, I'm still not convinced on the idea of disliking or downvoting posts. Couldn't this, in theory, mean someone might end up with negative likes? Unless you've coded the system to stop at zero and go no lower.

I, personally, would prefer to see only the Thumbs up icon with a cumulative count of likes.

I just can't really imagine a good reason for wanting to dislike or downvote any post here and think that it has the potential to upset.

Offline Robert

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2016, 07:52:19 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 3
Thanks guys - I agree with the sentiments - I'm not about to do anything that's going to upset people.

I'm going to  look to remove the ability to thumbs down. I think that'll assuage concerns and prevent people from being snarky (not that anyone here is of course)

Leave it with me and I'll get on it.  :cheers:

Edit: Ok, ability to downvote has now gone! :D

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2016, 08:10:09 AM »
Great stuff Robert.  :cheers:

Tags:

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: