Getting Rid Of Brown Algae Within 24 Hours!

Author Topic: Getting rid of brown algae within 24 hours!  (Read 4243 times) 20 replies

Offline Boris

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
Getting rid of brown algae within 24 hours!
« on: November 13, 2019, 05:46:53 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Hi everyone,
I just thought I'd share a quick fix for algae in a community tank!
My tank is a low tech 312 litre planted tank. I dose daily with Easylife Profito, EasyCarbo & Tropico Plant Nutrition.
My lights are LED Fluval Aquasky running 40% for around 6 hours a day.
Despite all my efforts I've been plagued with a light dusting of brown algae/diatoms on my Anubias & Java Ferns.
My tank also contains Cryptocorynes, Marimo Moss, Nymphaea Lotus, Amazon Swords & Hydrophila Corymbosa Thailands.
I'm under stocked with fish. I have Neons, Cherry Barbs, Rosy Tetras, Dwarf Rainbows, German rams, Bolivian rams, Keyhole Cichlids, Zebra Pleco L046 & Orinoco Angel Pleco L201.
I decided to get 6 Otocinclus Catfish 10 days ago, & within 24 hours pretty much all the algae was gone!
Everyone is keen on shrimps at the moment, but don't forget the humble Otocinclus 😊

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
Re: Getting rid of brown algae within 24 hours!
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2019, 06:03:35 PM »
Welcome to the forum, @Boris :wave:, and thank you for helpfully sharing this success that you've experienced :cheers:, as well as more details about the general context/background and your tank's plant and fish inhabitants. It's also good to read that you acquired the otocinclus in decent numbers as should be the case - well done.

Edited to add: Somehow I didn't see the photo earlier. Wow - the tank is stunning. :cheers:

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2019, 08:04:11 PM »
What a great looking tank @Boris8)

Are you into aquascaping at all?

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2019, 09:18:24 PM »
I decided to get 6 Otocinclus Catfish 10 days ago, & within 24 hours pretty much all the algae was gone!
Everyone is keen on shrimps at the moment, but don't forget the humble Otocinclus 😊

Hi @Boris

Otocinclus have a well-deserved reputation for eating 'brown algae'. In fact, 'brown algae' is a misnomer. They are, in fact, diatoms. You may want to take a look at the following link:

https://fishlab.com/brown-algae/

BTW, congratulations on a beautiful tank.

JPC

Offline Boris

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2019, 11:01:08 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi Matt, yes I love aquascaping. I prefer a low tech setup as some of the fish I keep are quite delicate, & I don't want to risk inadvertently overdosing them with CO2!
I love the challenge of getting it right, so that fish & plants can benefit from one another.
I love being creative with the design too. I love to see the tank evolving.
I've had an 80 gallon Discus tank in the past. That was awesome. Magnificent Discus against a backdrop of lush greenery.
I've also had a small planted nano tank with a gorgeous dwarf puffer. I was adding CO2 to that one.
I even had a planted Oscar tank! That was interesting!!!
I upgraded from a 100 litre Nano to my current 300 litre tank in August...

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2019, 06:10:09 AM »
Great to have a fellow aquascaper on board!!

I have 3 tanks at the moment all low ENERGY (admittedly they are low tech too but I think this term is more accurate for my approach). I am not a fan of guteraldehyde based co2 supplements though, there's a link to some great research here which you might be interested in. I do actually use these products BUT only at water change time when the tank goes thrush a period of significant and rapid change - perfect for algae to take hold. I use it at this time as an algecide. I believe I can personally put fish I'll health and the loss of plants down to using this product on a regular basis.  Warning... the links on the website are not the easiest to follow... it's in 4 parts if memory serves...

https://www.jbl.de/?lang=en&mod=blog&func=detail&id=123

I share your easy approach to things otherwise (even having a dwarf puffer tank), to see more of my work take a look at the aquascaping section of the forum, or www.scapeeasy.co.uk

How was your experience with your co2 injected tank... I've never tried it myself...?

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2019, 01:09:41 PM »
I prefer a low tech setup as some of the fish I keep are quite delicate, & I don't want to risk inadvertently overdosing them with CO2!
I love the challenge of getting it right, so that fish & plants can benefit from one another.

Hi @Boris

I do use CO2 injection but you are right to be cautious. I have had no casualties from CO2 injection but it's because I have taken appropriate measures to prevent problems arising. On another forum, I have expressed my views on this subject because I believe that some fishkeepers are putting their fish at risk.

With reference to your second sentence, that is precisely the appproach that I take. Good on ya!

I have a question for you - what is your tank water temperature and GH?

JPC

Offline Boris

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2019, 02:36:25 PM »
Hi Matt,

Thank you very much for your link to 'Liquid Carbon'. Very interesting & thought provoking.
I have to admit that dosing with Glutaraldehyde has always made me feel a bit uneasy!
I worked in theatres during my nursing career & Glutaraldehyde was one of those dangerous chemicals used for disinfection!

My experience with CO2 injection was straightforward & uneventful. It was easy to use in such a small tank. Although my dear little Pip the Puffer launched himself to his death, by jumping out of the tank during the night 😢 I so wish I had covered the tank! I shut that tank down after that...

I'm wondering if I could get away without using Liquid Carbon?
I haven't totally ruled out CO2 injection. There are a few 'easy grow' plants that have failed in my tank & i feel sure that CO2 injection may have saved them???

Thank you for your replies
Alison😊

Offline Boris

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2019, 02:56:02 PM »
Hi JPC,

I keep my tank at 26C. I have 2 heaters. One at either end of the tank as x1 300w heater wasn't able to keep the temp above 25C.

I'm in sunny!!!??? Cornwall at the moment on holiday, so I can't remember the exact GH figure, but our water in Taunton, Somerset is soft.

I've come to the conclusion that soft water lacks some of the elements needed for healthy plant growth which is why I am using a George Farmer recommended combo of Tropica plant nutrition as well as Easylife Profito.

I love Hydrocotyle Leucocephala, but just can't get it to grow. I've had it melt away. At the moment my latest plant is very tiny with tiny leaves. This is why I have added the Tropica plant feed.

My substrate is Tropica, with a thick layer of pool filter sand...

As mentioned to Matt in my previous post, I haven't totally ruled out CO2 as there are definitely huge benefits to plant growth if used with caution & care...

Thank you for your responses
Alison 😊

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2019, 04:31:30 PM »
Hi Alison,

Thanks for the feedback.

Having a 300 litre tank calls for a lot of heating!

26C is just about OK for GBRs but an extra degree or two would be better for them. But, obviously, the other fish have their own specific requirements. That's why I was also asking about GH. Anyway, it can all wait until you get back home. In the meantime, enjoy sunny (?!) Cornwall.

JPC

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2019, 07:03:39 PM »
Hi @Boris   :wave:

That's a beautiful tank. I agree that otos are very useful, and they are lovely looking fish.

I too have low tech/no co2 planted tanks. @Matt designed them for me, and advised on the planting. The pics are on his site, which he has linked to.

Luckily I currently live relatively close to Aquarium Gardens, so have been able to attend demonstrations from both George Farmer and Filipe Oliveira over the past couple of years.  ;D

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2019, 08:13:02 PM »
I'm wondering if I could get away without using Liquid Carbon?

Absolutely you can, it's an approach I followed for many years and frankly I will probably go back do it to when I next run out of it. You might want to look into to blanket weed treatment for ponds. I've been trialling this in one of my tanks... it gives of similar compounds as it slowly decomposes in the tank over the course of a week, so overall levels remain low but effective. We have to dose a lot of glut because it doesn't stick around in the water long so in a way we overdose it so that after 24 hours there is still some left.

I haven't totally ruled out CO2 injection. There are a few 'easy grow' plants that have failed in my tank & i feel sure that CO2 injection may have saved them???

Co2 will help such easy plants grow faster, not necessarily healthier. You'd need to up your lighting and ferts regime to match. This will exaggerate any deficiencies you may have now which may be causing it not to grow. I will admit I've never had huge success with brasillian pennywort either.

Offline Boris

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2019, 11:49:19 PM »
Hi Matt,

I need to study your extensive research on aquascaping! I read something you wrote in August on Wednesday. I must re-read it as it was fascinating. Plants emersed & submerged & how they change...

How is the best way for me to follow you & your research? I'm sure I could learn so much more...

I'm going to stop using the Liquid Carbon. I feel sure that I won't notice a significant difference.
You are so right - if I add CO2 it could just highlight other issues with water chemistry that I am currently unaware of. My water is soft & I suspect it lacks some vital elements.

I need to give up on poor old Pennywort! If it survives it's a bonus!

My priority is a low tech, low stress tank!

If I add CO2, increase ferts & lighting I could end up with all kinds of trouble. At the moment my tank is so well balanced. Happy fish. Plants looking healthy, & zero algae thanks to my little Otos! They are little troopers 😊
I'm growing my favourite plants. I love Crypts, Anubius, Java Ferns, Hygrophila, & Marimo Moss. I'm going to stick with what works best for my set up...

It's great talking to you as you are so knowledgeable. You've given me confidence to continue what I'm doing & not be tempted to experiment needlessly!
Thank you Matt...
Kind regards
Alison

Offline Boris

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2019, 12:03:36 AM »
Hi @Littlefish,

Thank you for your comments...

How wonderful to meet George Farmer & attend his demonstrations. I stand in awe of his expertise.
I've ordered plants from Aquarium Gardens. First Class! Great plants at competitive prices.

I need to read Matt's articles!
I'm new to Think Fish & have yet to discover the extensive knowledge that its members have...

I wish I discovered it before now!
I am a member of the AquaEssentials Facebook group, but this site is more diverse & I know I will find it very helpful...

Thank you again for your response

Alison 💚🌿☘🍀🌱

Offline Boris

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2019, 12:33:41 AM »
Hi @jaypeecee,

Home now! I've just checked water parameters on the API multi test kit.
KH is 120ppm/6.6°dH (or just under)
GH is 75ppm/4.2°dH
pH is 6.5 - 7
Nitrites zero
Ammonia zero
Nitrates less than 10

Do you think that perhaps I should increase the temp to 27°C?
I have Neons, Corydoras Julii (probably Trilineatus!), Rosy Tetras, Cherry Barbs, Dwarf Rainbows, Otocinclus, Keyhole Cichlids, Bolivian Rams, German Rams, Zebra Pleco L046, & an Orinoco Angel Pleco L201.
The only fish I'm not sure about are the Corydoras & Rainbows? Would they tolerate an increase in your experience?

Thank you for your input...
Alison

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2019, 07:02:31 AM »
My priority is a low tech, low stress tank!

If I add CO2, increase ferts & lighting I could end up with all kinds of trouble. At the moment my tank is so well balanced. Happy fish. Plants looking healthy, & zero algae thanks to my little Otos! They are little troopers 😊

I'm growing my favourite plants. I love Crypts, Anubius, Java Ferns, Hygrophila, & Marimo Moss. I'm going to stick with what works best for my set up...
It's great talking to you as you are so knowledgeable.

You've given me confidence to continue what I'm doing & not be tempted to experiment needlessly!
Thank you Matt...

@Boris (Alison) Such kind words, thank you!! :) You have also perfectly summed up my mission in aquascaping and where I see people getting discouraged/put off etc etc. Thank you again.

How is the best way for me to follow you & your research? I'm sure I could learn so much more...

I'm not a massive "content producer" unfortunately (especially with a young one at home) between here and my website www.scapeeasy.co.uk are you're best bets. I'm also on Facebook and Instagram (largely same content between them) and reasonably active at the UKAPS forum (though this is mainly for high energy set ups, there is a small contingent of proponents of the low tech/energy approach).

Offline Sue

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2019, 10:26:53 AM »
Neons don't like warm temperatures either. In fact the only fish in your list that do are the rams, all the other's need a max of around 25o

Offline Boris

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2019, 07:10:21 PM »
@Sue,  thank you for your advice. I will get my other tank up & running again for my beautiful rams.
Please could recommend some little fish that would tolerate 28°C. I'm thinking of Cardinals maybe?? What do you think?
My other tank is 100 litre Aquanano.
Thank you
Alison

Offline Sue

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2019, 07:16:34 PM »
Cardinals are fine, as are green neon tetras (Paracheirodon simulans) Either of those would make good dither fish for rams.

Offline Boris

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2019, 09:44:19 PM »
@Sue thank you. I have a few green neons. They are gorgeous. I shall either get more of those if I can source them, or otherwise I will go with Cardinals. I love an excuse to set up another tank! Not sure hubby will be so thrilled!

Tags: amz50 

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Getting rid of brown algae within 24 hours!"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
4 Replies
Last post July 05, 2014, 04:47:20 PM
by Fiona
18 Replies
Last post May 24, 2015, 09:47:48 AM
by Sue
27 Replies
Last post April 28, 2016, 08:05:08 AM
by mazzamoo
6 Replies
Last post February 12, 2018, 04:50:32 PM
by Sue
1 Replies
Last post February 12, 2018, 09:39:30 AM
by Sue
3 Replies
Last post March 03, 2018, 05:28:19 PM
by Sue
0 Replies
Last post November 14, 2019, 06:22:43 AM
by Robert

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: