Community Creator - Let Me Know Your Thoughts

Author Topic: Community Creator - Let me know your thoughts  (Read 39731 times) 43 replies

Offline Think Fish (Peter)

• Fishy Member
Re: Community Creator - Let me know your thoughts
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2012, 06:16:30 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Quick update!
First test of the new CC just carried out - still bits not working properly but it looks like it wont be long now. Hopefully just a week or so.

I've also discovered that the company which I used to use for sending out newsletters still had my email list on file, which probably has quite a few of the old forum members on it. I think its at least a year and a half old but once the new CC is running I'll use it to send a mass-email out so hopefully we can regain some of the lost crowd!  :)

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Tiger Barb (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

• Fishy Member
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2012, 10:52:07 PM »
Finally we are getting close!

Just another update - Got the database and everything now working live on the site and going through testing. At the moment there are no conflicts in the database, but stuff like stocking levels etc.. is basically working.

The new funky search system is also working, but again missing data for each fish so the results are not correct. I know this has been a long time coming >:( so I will be up all night tonight getting the data loaded on.

If any of you lot want to have a 'sneak preview' and root around, just pick a fish from the main menu and in the URL where it is "/fish2/fishname" just delete the "2" so its /fish/fishname and you should see it all

Like I said, this is not yet ready for public viewing and missing data, but at least we are now hours away and not months or weeks... ;D

Tiger Barb (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Mart86

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2012, 08:59:04 PM »
Had a look at the new CC it's really good especially the search function  ;D Av noticed the fish actual size and stock size is now the same, will this stay like this or is it going back to the old CC version way e.g 4cm cardinal tetra is 2cm stock size which when you read the explanation why you did this makes a lot more sense. Same with the cm per litre rule it's a lot lower than before, will this stay like this or will this go back to old CC version way. I know people thought the old version way was too much but when you read the information on the q&a sections it made a lot more sense than the old out of date rule of 1in per gallon.

Cart wait till its fully finished! The old CC helped me out a lot when I got my first tank. I've just bought a new tank last month so Hopefully the new CC will help me out again. Thanks Think fish.  :)

Panda Cory (6) - Serpae Tetra (6) - Golden Nugget Plec (1) - Convict Cichlid (2) - Firemouth Cichlid (2) - Tiger Barb (16) - Bristlenose Plec (1) -

Offline Don

• Fishy Member
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2012, 10:28:46 PM »
Hi peter had a bit of a beta test i guess on the new cc. Liking the look and set up. A couple of things, firstly how many more fish profiles do you have to load?

Secondly i added my tank length as 64cm as its a 25 inch custom cube so i put in the volume as 255ltrs. This gave me a max fish lenth of 11cm which seems a bit short. Is the tank required to be 6 times the length of the fish? This could also imply that height and depth are not important as as long as volume and length are correct eg wall tanks.
Also i added clown plecs to my tank as it was closest to my l260 plecs (not expecting to have a database full of rarer plecs) and it said in there profile minimum tank length 60 cm but it was telling me they would get to big for my tank as my maximum fish size was 11cm, however stocking was in the yellow for the fish i added. I am guessing that length of fish is proportinal to tank length and stocking to fish length and filtration but it could be confusing of maximum fish length does not match min tank length in fish profile.

Golden Pencilfish (25) - Panda Cory (20) - Panda Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Lampeye Panchax (15) - Bristlenose Plec (2) - Discus (7) - Sparkling Gourami (8) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Bristlenose Plec (3) -

• Fishy Member
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2012, 10:46:31 PM »
Hi Guys

Mart - Yes there will be two sizes, a "max size" which is the size the fish could get to (e.g. cherry barb 5cm) and a "typical size", which the fish will most likely get to (e.g. cherry barb 3cm)
The Typical size will be used for stocking which will give us a more realistic stocking figure, without upsetting to many people!

Don - Yes, there is going to be an issue with odd shape tanks like picture frames, Unfortunately to keep everything working properly I had to keep things as simple as possible. As time goes on I will make refinements, and put notes about thin tanks in the Info rollover icons. The rule is tank length / 6 = max fish size, however the fish length will be "typical" as mentioned above, so there is a bit of give.

Regarding the stock level v's fish size issue - this will be set up to address a long running gripe by many that the old CC would let you put something like an Oscar or Common Plec in a 60cm tank as there were no length restrictions. (even though there was a note stating that tank size was not accounted for)

Good point with max fish length not matching max tank size in the profile - I will have to go through the fish and see what matches up.

At the moment there are no completed profiles on the system - just fish profile data from the old database.
However, I've got an unlimited supply of teabags, hot water, and milk, and I'm about to start...

Tiger Barb (2) -

Offline Don

• Fishy Member
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2012, 06:35:50 AM »
Brilliant sounds like its really coming together know cant wait for the finished thing. Good luck with the profiles sounds like a herculian task.

Golden Pencilfish (25) - Panda Cory (20) - Panda Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Lampeye Panchax (15) - Bristlenose Plec (2) - Discus (7) - Sparkling Gourami (8) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Bristlenose Plec (3) -

Offline Ironside

« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2012, 11:53:34 PM »
just want to say that the Community Creator helped me a lot with my first tank over 2 years ago, just like it helped a lot of others. i now have a 240 litre tank and i am like a kid at christmas waiting for the new improved Community Creator.
thanks to peter for creating this informative helpful feature

Panda Cory (6) - Cardinal Tetra (12) - Glass Bloodfin (6) - Penguin Tetra (6) - Blue Tetra (6) - Ember Tetra (20) - Black Neon Tetra (8) - Rummy Nose Tetra (8) - Marbled Hatchetfish (8) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) - Emperor Tetra (6) - Ram / Butterfly Cichlid (1) - Japonica Shrimp (1) - Slender Harlequin (8) - Lemon Tetra (8) -

TigzFish

« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2013, 05:48:10 PM »
Question mainly for Peter I think.  I added my aquarium and stock into the CC after you released the latest version and it looked pretty much as previously discussed on the old forum with Sue.

The old CC gave me a max fish length of 76.8cm which was manually adjusted according to Sue's suggestion (80% of that) making it 62cm.

On opening the new CC in early December 2012, the recommendation was 60cm. I look now and it reads a whopping 102cm! I'm wondering whether something has gone wrong in the algorithms because I could not imagine adding that level in my 60cm 64Ltr tank, even with the Fluval 105 external filter (100Ltr capacity).

Offline mrp636

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2013, 09:05:30 PM »
Had the same issue where it recommended vastly understocking my tank.
Read here:
http://thinkfish.co.uk/article/stocking-levels-for-tropical-aquarium-fish.html

Think they've been hard at work trying to finalise the CC

• Fishy Member
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2013, 07:10:29 AM »
Hi Tigz,

Sorry for the delay - I started answering your post straight away but got carried away and ended up re-doing the whole stocking article! Well done mrp636 for spotting it!

Still ironing out the last few issues with the CC - stocking was one. The "recommended fish" is not working at the moment, and for some reason there are a few fish which don't obey the search rules (E.g. ram which is 4cm doesn't come up when you search for fish under 5cm!)

Stocking is always an odd issue because whether it seems 'too high' or 'too low' often depends on what fish you have in mind. 4x 25cm fish (say, big cichlids) would need a big 120/150cm tank, 20x 5cm fish (say, a group of tetras), would be fine in a 60cm tank. Both use a stocking level of 100cm!

I'll put a direct link to the stocking article from the CC, as I can imagine it must have confused a few people with the change in results.

Tiger Barb (2) -

TigzFish

« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2013, 12:27:23 PM »
Thanks Peter, I've managed to spend a little time to revisit and read the refreshed article.  Makes a lot more sense now I've read it again.

Offline ColinB

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2013, 10:46:10 AM »
mmmm - the CC seems to have hit a problem in loading properly. Is it just my 'pooter or are others having similar difficulties?

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2013, 12:33:33 PM »
I've just checked and I don't have a problem loading my two tanks in there.

Just a thought - are you trying to access though the link on the menu bar or via a fish profile?

• Fishy Member
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2013, 01:21:33 PM »
Hi ColinB,

Your post alerted me to have a look and it wouldn't load properly on my machine either. I've had someone fixing some bugs on it last night and it looks like they mis-named a file!
All it takes in one letter in capitals instead of lower case and the whole thing goes down!! Anyway, I think i've fixed it now!

Thanks!

Tiger Barb (2) -

• Fishy Member
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2013, 01:25:46 PM »
Looks like I spoke too soon! Search system is now broken! I'm on the case...

Tiger Barb (2) -

Offline mrp636

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2013, 11:02:33 AM »
Is a water temperature range guide something that could be added to the CC or is that something that's not very practical?
Ie if u have 3 different fish species in the tank, eg at temps of 18-26, 22-28 and 24-30 it recommends a tank range of 24-26 to accommodate all fish.
Ps, I'm not anal... ;D

• Fishy Member
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2013, 01:47:32 PM »
In the previous version of the CC there was a temperature recommendation (and hardness) but it wasn't that useful in practical terms - 95% of tropical fish are okay within the range of 24-26 so it would always just end up recommending 24-26 as your temperature range!
The few exceptions are things like discus (warmer water), and maybe cooler water preference fish like White Cloud Minnows. For the cooler species we have added a 'search for fish suitable for unheated tanks' option.

The problem I always have is trying to keep it simple whilst being as useful as possible. Maybe for version 3.0 (coming 2025  ;) ) I'll finally get the layout right and we can fit all these things in!

Tiger Barb (2) -

Offline a_llusive

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2013, 05:32:56 PM »
How do I find a saved (named) tank? ??? I'm trying to consider some alternative setups but can't find my saved tanks (plus noticed a few fish from the previous site, such as Bronze Corys, have vanished).

Japonica Shrimp (6) - White Cloud Mountain Minnow (6) - Panda Cory (7) - Blue Tetra (5) - Bloodfin Tetra (5) - Japonica Shrimp (6) - White Cloud Mountain Minnow (6) - Panda Cory (7) - Black Phantom Tetra (5) - Paradise Fish (1) - White Cloud Mountain Minnow (6) - Panda Cory (5) - Japonica Shrimp (6) - Black Phantom Tetra (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -

• Fishy Member
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2013, 05:38:12 PM »
Hi a_llusive,

Once you log-in to the Community Creator, you can select your tank from the 'load another tank' menu. However, if you are referring to tanks saved in the previous Community Creator (Before June 2012) Unfortunately those details were lost during the sites rebuild

Tiger Barb (2) -

Offline a_llusive

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2013, 10:54:29 AM »
Thanks. This may sound completely daft but where is the CC login?

Japonica Shrimp (6) - White Cloud Mountain Minnow (6) - Panda Cory (7) - Blue Tetra (5) - Bloodfin Tetra (5) - Japonica Shrimp (6) - White Cloud Mountain Minnow (6) - Panda Cory (7) - Black Phantom Tetra (5) - Paradise Fish (1) - White Cloud Mountain Minnow (6) - Panda Cory (5) - Japonica Shrimp (6) - Black Phantom Tetra (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Community Creator - Let me know your thoughts"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
5 Replies
Last post April 13, 2014, 11:05:00 AM
by Sue
9 Replies
Last post August 04, 2015, 02:42:20 PM
by Diz1
24 Replies
Last post January 29, 2016, 09:37:38 PM
by fcmf
0 Replies
Last post February 05, 2016, 08:12:02 AM
by Robert
3 Replies
Last post March 04, 2018, 05:25:25 PM
by Helen
2 Replies
Last post June 27, 2020, 07:35:39 PM
by Woodsie
1 Replies
Last post April 24, 2023, 03:25:25 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: