Author Topic: Newbie  (Read 8825 times) 16 replies

Offline Mally Moot

• Tropical Fish Forum User
« on: May 04, 2016, 09:40:21 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hello all

Have been lurking for a while but you seem like a nice bunch so I thought I had better take the plunge and register and say hello  :wave:

I have a 320l community tank and a 23l tank for my betta all up and running for a while now. Have just set up tank number 3, 195l and I'm going to have a go at the fishless cycling. Cue lots of questions!  :D

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Dwarf Plec / Peckoltia (1) - Twig Catfish (1) - Bulldog Catfish (1) - Siamese Flying Fox (1) - Cardinal Tetra (16) - Rummy Nose Tetra (7) - Pearl Gourami (7) - Japonica Shrimp (2) - Siamese Fighting Fish (male) (1) - Endler's Livebearer (4) - Sparkling Gourami (4) - Endler's Livebearer (8) - Pygmy Cory (8) - Lampeye Panchax (8) - Japonica Shrimp (4) - Golden Pencilfish (6) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Newbie
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 09:45:48 PM »
Hi Mally Moot, welcome to the forum  :wave:

320 litres, I am so envious; and then a 195 litre as well  ;D

At least cycling the new tank should be quick since you have access to mature media :)

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 09:47:22 PM »
Hi there Mally Moot and welcome to the forum.  :wave:
Thanks for joining us.  :)
We'd love to see some pictures of your tanks (please).  ;D

Offline Mally Moot

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 09:54:25 PM »
Hi Sue and Littlefish  :)

I'll try to add some piccies if I can work out how  :))

This fish keeping is too addictive. I used to have 7 tanks in a 1 bedroom flat! went cold turkey for a while but it's happening again  ::).........It's nice to find like minded people  :)

Dwarf Plec / Peckoltia (1) - Twig Catfish (1) - Bulldog Catfish (1) - Siamese Flying Fox (1) - Cardinal Tetra (16) - Rummy Nose Tetra (7) - Pearl Gourami (7) - Japonica Shrimp (2) - Siamese Fighting Fish (male) (1) - Endler's Livebearer (4) - Sparkling Gourami (4) - Endler's Livebearer (8) - Pygmy Cory (8) - Lampeye Panchax (8) - Japonica Shrimp (4) - Golden Pencilfish (6) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 09:55:42 PM »

Welcome along, Mally Moot, you need to tell us about the name first...?  :o

Just kidding, you are in good company here and we are definitely interested in seeing what you are working with at the moment... With 538 litres of tank(s) we will have just as many questions for you as you have us!

Oh, and...

#picsoritdidnthappen

Right, Donna?  ;)

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2016, 10:19:00 PM »
Hi Mally Moot and welcome.

I'm guessing your username is something to do with ...

Am I right?  ;)

Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -

Offline Mally Moot

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 10:24:13 PM »
Well,as you insisted  ;) the name does comes from my other obsession, our dogs  :D We have 2 Alaskan Malamutes. Good guess! Don't get me started on them  :))

As for the tanks, I'm not that great on the technical stuff but have muddled along for years.
Gouramis are my favourite fish. I have always like their front feeler fins  :)) and I like the L catfish. Had a snowball plec for years who was sort of tame. Unfortunately we live in a hardwater area so can't 100% keep all the species I want. Would love to have kilifish but I'm too scared to start fiddling with trying to soften the water. Him indoors wanted discus in the new set up but got out voted for that same reason  ::)

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2016, 10:50:33 PM »
We also like to see pictures of other pets, and there is an entre section for that.
We'd love to see pics of your dogs and hear all about them.  :)

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2016, 07:26:23 AM »
Welcome, Mally Moot. :wave:

Sounds like you and LittleFish are like two peas in a pod - I can only envy you and your various tanks and pets. :)

Offline ColinB

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2016, 07:59:46 AM »
Hello, and welcome.

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2016, 08:00:15 AM »
It's great to know that I'm not the only one who has given in to the addiction.  ;D
I also live in a hard water area and currently have 11 tanks in my living room/dining room.
(I also have one on order and am waiting for delivery  :-[ ).

Paddy, I have to congratulate you on the whale picture. Awesome and appropriate.  8)

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2016, 09:17:51 AM »
Welcome Mally  :wave: I'm glad you took the plunge. We're all afflicted with MTS whether we have multiple tanks or not, the yearning is always there  :)

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2016, 05:05:51 PM »
Welcome  :wave:

Now please send pictures of your tanks!!  :))

I'd love to see how your planning to stock your 195l tank as I'm currently planning a 180l myself (not got permission to set this up yet but I'm working on it!...)

Offline Mally Moot

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2016, 08:27:46 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome  :D

I'm glad it's not just me with MTS!

can't post any pictures at the mo... says the files are too large :( I am soooo rubbish at technical stuff  :-[

Offline Sue

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2016, 09:11:35 PM »
I usually have to resize full tank photos to get them on here. Fish aren't so bad as I crop those to get rid of all the blurs surrounding the fish I want.

Another option is to use a photo hosting site eg photobucket. You use the code from the site to embed the photo in the text rather than at he end like Thinkfish's attachments.

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2016, 09:30:10 PM »
I went in the huff with photobucket and now use imgur.com

If I upload photos from my mobile I first have to upload them to imgur.com on the phone app (very straightforward) which takes a wee while (maybe a minute per image depending on peak Internet traffic) but that gives me time to fire up the laptop.

I struggle to post on the forum using my mobile if I want to include images. Whenever I post pics it is always via the laptop. If I use my bridge camera to take pics, the whole thing is quicker since I remove the memory card from the camera, plug into the laptop and do it all in one go ( the laptop uploads faster for some reason).

If you want to know more about posting pics I'm happy to assist  ;)

Offline Mascol

• Fishy Member
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2016, 08:18:30 AM »
Welcome to the forum Mally.  :wave:

I too live in a hard water area and am researching stocking a new aquarium. You may have seen the list of fish suitable for hard water that I posted elsewhere on this forum.

Would be interesting to see what you come up with  :) I'm still very much in the fact-finding/exploratory stage!

Platy (4) - Platy (10) - Bristlenose Plec (1) - Cardinal Tetra (8) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Congo Tetra (6) -

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Newbie"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
Newbie!!!

Started by Silver633 « 1 2 ... 6 7 » New Fishkeepers

132 Replies
Last post March 22, 2016, 09:27:41 PM
by Fiona
6 Replies
Last post November 10, 2016, 05:22:57 PM
by Littlefish
5 Replies
Last post January 28, 2017, 09:10:28 AM
by Littlefish
5 Replies
Last post June 12, 2017, 04:15:59 PM
by MarquisMirage
86 Replies
Last post September 19, 2017, 12:18:03 PM
by Littlefish
19 Replies
Last post September 01, 2018, 05:45:43 PM
by Matt
8 Replies
Last post September 20, 2019, 05:33:16 PM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: