Author Topic: New guy signing in.  (Read 4414 times) 13 replies

Offline Bosco

• Fishy Contributor
  • Hello boys and girls!
New guy signing in.
« on: May 20, 2014, 02:49:17 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi, I'm the new guy.

I have recently returned to the hobby after many years away and I'm really enjoying it.

When I started I made some ill-advised decisions and purchases so my stock is not exactly ideal as I lost some fish and ended up with a couple of stragglers, ie a single Harlequin and an Albino Cory. The Cory is aggressive so I didn't want to add more as he killed his buddies last time before I could save them. He's probably better off as a loner. I decided to go down the Guppy route rather than add more Harlequins but he seems happy enough and usually swims about with the neons.

I have two modest tanks, an 80l and a 55l.  The 80l is stocked with a small shoal of seven juvenile Angelfish and the Albino Cory on housekeeping duty. I know that I will eventually need a bigger tank as they grow but for now they seem to have plenty of room. The 55l has some Guppies, Neons, the Harlequin and a Betta. The tanks are stable and the fish are used to each other and show no signs of aggression.

I'm on a bit of a tight budget but as soon as I can get a few bob together my plan is to get external filter for the 80l and in time to move its current filter to the 55l. I like crystal clear water.

That's about it for now.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: New guy signing in.
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 04:09:03 PM »
Hi Bosco  :wave:

Sometimes fish do not conform to the typical for that species, and it sounds as though your cory is one of them. If he is aggressive, it is not worth risking more.
You may find that 2 of your angels pair up. If this happens, you might find you need to rehome the other five, as a mated pair of angels can be quite nasty towards others. Keep an eye out for that.

Your betta must be quite a laid back one - a lot will attack guppies as they are not bright enough to realise that the guppies aren't actually other male bettas  ;D

Offline ColinB

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 04:17:16 PM »
Hello, and welcome to the forum, Bosco.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline chris213

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • were going to need a bigger tank
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 04:39:23 PM »
Hi Bosco welcome to the Forum .pics of tanks with fish are always welcome for us to see  :cheers:

Offline Resa

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 09:19:12 AM »
Morning Bosco :wave:

Welcome to the forum!
Sounds like your cory needs a stern talking to about playing nicely ;D

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline jesnon

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2014, 12:42:48 PM »
Welcome Bosco!! Unfortunately a lot of new fish keepers make mistakes early on but as long as you're now aware of them and know to research your fish choices that's all good! If I started out again I'd buy a much bigger tank initially! I also originally didn't realise the difference between marine and tropical fish which could have been very bad for any unsuspecting fish!! Luckily I found this forum and its helpful information!

Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -

Offline Bosco

• Fishy Contributor
  • Hello boys and girls!
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2014, 12:14:36 AM »
Thanks for the welcome folks. Prepare yourselves for silly questions. I have no shame asking because I know I will be wiser when I hear the answers.

I'll put up some photos as soon as I can get some worth publishing. Most of mine turn out blurred.

Offline Bosco

• Fishy Contributor
  • Hello boys and girls!
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2014, 07:42:34 AM »
I think I've jinxed myself.  :(

One of my guppies had a batch of fry the night I started this thread. Since then I've lost a male guppy per night. There's 3 gone now. I wonder could it be the new mother being protective after the birth?

Offline Resa

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2014, 12:44:31 PM »
I think I've jinxed myself.  :(

One of my guppies had a batch of fry the night I started this thread. Since then I've lost a male guppy per night. There's 3 gone now. I wonder could it be the new mother being protective after the birth?

I wouldn't have thought so, Bosco, she's as likely as the others to eat her babies. In my experience with platys they don't seem to have much maternal instinct and I'm assuming that guppies would be the same, (Sue will know for sure though :isay: ) It's probably more to do with that's what seems to happen with guppies these days. Mine did the same and I had a lone one left for about 8 months and then he too died :( I doubt I will get guppies again.
Looking for the positives, if your guppies breed anything like my platies, you'll have a constant (probably too many) fresh supply of new ones in your tank ;)

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2014, 02:24:13 PM »
Resa is quite right, guppy females have no maternal instincts whatsoever and will likely turn around and eat a fry herself as soon as it has been born.

Guppies are quite fragile fish nowadays. They have been very inbred to get those gorgeous tails and too many breeders will use just any pretty fish regardless of whether it is a good specimen or not. And commercial breeders, those producing many thousands of guppies for sale world wide, do not keep them in the best of conditions. The result is fish that just die for no apparent reason. Many experienced fish keepers will not keep guppies because of this.

Offline Bosco

• Fishy Contributor
  • Hello boys and girls!
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2014, 05:52:26 PM »
Here's a couple of pics, they're not great as I took them with my phone. Sadly they highlight the scratches on my Angelfish tank. I bought it second hand and they weren't so obvious until I cleaned up the tank. A noob mistake. I intend replacing it with a bigger tank as soon as I can distract SWMBO and finances allow.

Offline chris213

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • were going to need a bigger tank
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2014, 06:22:09 PM »
very nice looking happy fishes

Offline ColinB

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2014, 09:41:37 AM »
Good lookin' tank and fish.

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline Bosco

• Fishy Contributor
  • Hello boys and girls!
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2014, 07:16:15 PM »
Thanks for the encouraging words guys. I'm quite pleased with the tanks. Things seem to have calmed down in guppy tank, I've stopped losing fish. I'll let things settle for a while and maybe get one or two replacements. I plan to buy them from a different shop in the hope of getting an unrelated breeding strain.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "New guy signing in."

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
10 Replies
Last post August 16, 2013, 06:57:28 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: