New 64l Tank...qus On Filter And Also Plant Substrate With Sand

Author Topic: New 64l tank...qus on filter and also plant substrate with sand  (Read 11194 times) 17 replies

Offline suzie61

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
New 64l tank...qus on filter and also plant substrate with sand
« on: October 14, 2016, 07:17:44 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi All,
I'm new here. Ive kept goldfish before but going for my first tropical tank!

I was given a brand new 64L P@H tank.
I have used the Community Creator tool and am happy(ish) with my plans. My questions are;

1) I am going for sand substrate as I hope to keep corys. I think I would like to try live plants as fish seem to appreciate them but knowing that sand is harder for them to their roots to penetrate, should I invest in a layer of plant substrate first?
Not planning on being a plant expert - maybe a combo of real and plastic but nice for foraging in. Thought I should ask as its obviously something I cannot easily go back and add!! lol  ;D     or do I just risk without it?

2) It comes with an Interpet CF filter (open topped). I have read a lot about fish becoming trapped in/behind these. We could try to make a DIY cover but could be rather tricky/fiddly.  I also own an Interpet PF1, this would be on its limits of filtration. ideally I think I'd like to replace with a PF2 but tempted to use the PF1 as I have it, and some replacement filters - I have read others have used this but would limit fishy No.s
I'm aware filtration shouldn't be skimped on - water the most important thing but the ££ add up when setting up!

Thanks for any advice/opinions...
Suzie   :wave:

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: New 64l tank...qus on filter and also plant substrate with sand
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 07:50:44 PM »
Hi Suzie, welcome to the forum  :wave:

I'll deal with your second question first.

I've found the manual for the Interpet Insight tanks which gives 2 sizes, the 40 at 40 litres with a CF1 filter and the 64 at 64 litres with a CF2 filter. Both filters contain only a filter cartridge (which google tells me are floss and carbon cartridges) and an algaway pad. I have to say that I'm not impressed with these filters. The media in them is awful. There is nowhere for the bacteria to grow. I would either use a different filter with better media or swap those cartridges for something better like sponge.
The PF1 is a better filter, at least that does have sponge though I'd replace the carbon foam with another sponge if you can make one fit. The downside is that your tank, at 64 litres, is right at the top end of it's capability.

If money was no object I would suggest getting a better filter than either of those, something like a Fluval U2 or an Eheim Aquaball 130. But you could use the PF1 replacing the unnecessary carbon sponge with plain sponge or maybe use the CF filter with sponge inside instead. Or use both
If you use either or both the filters you have with just plain sponge, you won't have to replace them like cartridges or carbon foam. They will last for years, just needing to be squeezed out in old tank water to clean them.

You can fish-proof the CF filter by using a layer of filter wool (aka filter floss) placed over the top or even a piece of plastic craft mesh.

Since you used to have goldies, I presume you know about cycling the tank before getting fish?

Your first question re sand and plants. I am not that good with plants but I have sand and do manage live plants of the type that are attached to decor - Java fern, various species of anubias, bolbitis, and hornwort. I also have floating plants - hornwort can be left floating, and I have water sprite (Ceratopteris cornuta). There are several species of floating plant besides the ones I have.
Some of our members are better with plants than me and can advise better - and some of them use plain garden soil as the plant substrate, though it does have to be soil that hasn't been treated with chemicals.
Hopefully someone who is good at growing plants will come along soon  :)

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 09:15:01 PM »
Welcome, Suzie :wave:

Another former goldfish keeper here, with a huge forever soft spot for them, and who converted over to tropical fishkeeping 2 years ago.

There are a few additional aspects to tropical fishkeeping which it sounds like you've gathered but in a nutshell are:
* type of fish chosen are best done depending on your water hardness ie find out your exact water hardness reading(s) and the unit(s) of measurement by inputting your postcode into your water/utility company's website - that will help work out which fish you can home in line with their requirements [eg in my case, I have very soft water, so wouldn't be able to give a suitable home to guppies, mollies, platies, but can to the species of fish I have - see my signature]
* type of fish chosen are best done in line with your tank dimensions and capacity, as you'll have gathered from this website's Fish Profiles /  Community Creator section; it's worth double-checking this against Seriously Fish as its website is more up-to-date
* some fish are better suited to being in shoals and therefore a minimum number of that particular species [this doesn't mean 6 tetras of various types but 6 of one type of tetra]
* choice of fish need to be compatible with one another.

It sounds as if you've gathered all this but it took me a while to do so, and stupidly, although I browsed the forum, I would have been better joining up first and asking questions or being given this sort of advice rather than only joining up and asking questions later down the line.

Re (1), I think a plant substrate such as soil would be a good idea. I've recently converted over to live plants and have some attached to wood but lots sitting in their pots from the LFS in the tank but wish I'd had a substrate in place so that I could plant them properly and they might fare much better - rather problematic for me to do now but I'd advise you to do it at this stage while you have the chance. You might also find this thread http://forums.thinkfish.co.uk/fish-tank-plant-advice/re-hornwort-ceratophyllum-demersum/ helpful.

Re 2), I have an open-topped filter - Marina i110. The way it works is that it sits high up and the water comes out like a waterfall, but the downside is that it means the waterline is about an inch lower than the black rim at the top of the tank which some folk find unsightly. I did have a fatality with a fish getting trapped behind the filter although I've now got filter wool stuffed in the location where it happened.

I can vouch for the quality of the Fluval U2 which Sue mentioned. However, if you're planning on having very small species of fish such as pygmy cories or that size, I'd be careful and maybe look into the Fluval U1 instead (ie find out if it would be suitable for a 64-litre tank). I had to put 3 pygmy cories in a QT and, rather than take my small second filter out of the main tank, I used my old Fluval U2. The 3 pygmy cories all suffered an unexpectedly sudden demise - even on the gentlest of its 3 settings, they seemed to be tossed around in the tank and I found one stuck/sheltering behind the filter on the filter bracket/sucker; I thought they were just having trouble adjusting to their temporary environment but realised too late that the filter flow must have been too much for them. Admittedly, the tank was a 21-litre tank, so possibly in a tank 3 times that volume/capacity, it would be ok, but I thought I should mention this. Personally, I think my Fluval U2 would be too bulky for my 54-litre tank and so use 2 small filters - the Marina i110 and another one of a similar size (the first one in this pic http://www.aquatics-online.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Clear_Jet_Internal_Power_Filters_225.html which I've had since the turn of the century although this particular filter was out of commission for a few years but resurrected last year.)

Hope this helps.

Offline suzie61

• Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2016, 09:36:22 PM »
Thanks for the advice so quickly received.
Still pondering the filters, thanks for suggesting layer of floss for blockage! Youtube shows the cf filter does run with water level quite high - hence adventurous ones heading in! Not keen on cf first impressions   If use both it will take up quite a lot of space...hmm.. (another sponge will fit PF1)
Yes, planning fishless cycle, ammonia just arrived!
Just planning 3 guppies to start, then to investigate what the LFS actually stocks... wish list is one thing...

I'm off to bed for very early night now but I will read suggested threads tomorrow.

Thanks again

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2016, 09:44:07 PM »
I have the same 64litre tank. The filter is not the best design but interpet (manufacturer of P@H Love Fish branded products, though they are very much a cheaper alternative) also offer an 87 litre aquarium which uses the same filter so it can (in their view) treat higher fish loading than would be possible in the 64 litre.  That said the P@H one does not come with the biomedia cartridge like the true interpret does.  I have added bio balls in a mesh bag (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007VCHNMS/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1) to both replace but also improve upon the volume of available biological media in the original interpret filter (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Interpet-Internal-Cartridge-Filter-CF2/dp/B00ITQKZIE?th=1).  This fits nicely behind the carbon pad.  I very rarely replace the algaway pad which removes phosphates. This will be useful when you first set up the tank to limit algae growth and by the time the chemical wears out it will become a further biological treatment stage - just squeeze in dirty tank water to refresh it and replace.  Fish getting behind it hasn't been a problem for me, but jumping in has so I'd definitely recommend covering it in some way.  I'd also recommend a black background and heater cover as it nicely hides the equipment in the tank.

Hope that helps !

:fishy1:

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2016, 07:42:44 AM »
Hi there  :wave:

I've switched to live plants in my tanks over the past few months, and several of my tanks have sand substrate for various cories. I put a layer of planting substrate underneath the sand, and have just planted into that. I'm not an experience plant person, I've kept everything very low tech, not CO2 added, and I don't really bother with additional fertiliser either. I'm still experimenting with finding out which plants work for me, but most of the plants have worked.
To start with you can either go for the plants that can be tied on to decor (anubius sp., java fern, java moss), or specifically look for plants that are easy to look after, don't require CO2, and work with the amount of light works for your fish as well.

Best of luck and please keep us posted on your progress.  :)

Offline suzie61

• Fishy Member
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2016, 09:48:16 PM »
Update:
In the end I have not added a plant substrate (realise I may regret this later). Much of the plant advice and easy to keep plants seem to be the type that don't require rooting in substrate anyway - I can always try a little fertiliser liquid if I need too.
I have set the tank up with an anubias (turned out to be two when removed from pot) and 2 Moss balls.
I am on day 3 of my fishless cycle - ammonia has reduced but not much activity on the nitrite.

I was quite surprised at the vagueness of the API ammonia scale, looking for it <0.75ppm is a bit of a guessing game! (think we might have to take family votes on closest colour on chart!). Being a scientist, I am used to a bit more precision!!
How long do ppl leave it if the ammonia drops but nitrite does not pick up?? Worrying about a stall (I realise ive only just started but excited!)

Offline suzie61

• Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2016, 09:54:48 PM »
Realised I forgot to mention the filter..
I couldn't decide what to do re filters... so I have both in it  :))
The CF and the PF1. I will add extra ceramic to the CF as suggested too.
Downside is they take up space more space than one and will both require maintenance - but the flow round the tank is good!
I will post pics soon. I am quite jealous of ppls early set up pics...I love the natural look too but I let the family get involved in the décor (fish choices not up for debate at home!) so it will be a bit of a mixed look! at least I haven't fluorescent gravel! (although bright gravel looks great in some of the modern look nano tanks)
 :)

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2016, 10:16:00 PM »
Hi Suzie,

The anubias and moss balls are a good choice of plant - my two best-surviving plants in my recent venture into attempting to keep live plants... I might even go so far as to say that they're thriving (famous last words, though).

As for the filters, great idea to have two. I have 2 small filters too - you may have lost a little space but it allows a little more stocking capacity, gives peace of mind if one were to malfunction, and allows one to be taken out easily in the event of needing it in a quarantine tank.

Someone else will hopefully be able to help with your fishless cycle questions - many people are more experienced in this than me.

Looking forward to seeing your pics soon.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2016, 08:07:31 AM »
I have 2 filters in some of my tanks, and I only clean 1 filter each week. Seems to work well.
I have anubias and/or moss balls in most of my tanks. I like them, and the shrimp in particular like the moss balls.

@Sue is our tank cycling expert. In the mean time you could always have a look at the sticky in that section of the forum, that has quite a lot of information. If you have trouble cycling your tank there is also a list of people prepared to donate mature media, which will seed your filter and kick start the cycling process.

As for letting the family get involved decorating the tank, it can sometimes lead to very funny moments - who will ever forget @Paddyc posting the picture of Olaf bending over with a malaysian trumpet snail on his bum. Fantastic. :rotfl:

Offline Sue

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2016, 02:00:34 PM »
I was quite surprised at the vagueness of the API ammonia scale, looking for it <0.75ppm is a bit of a guessing game! (think we might have to take family votes on closest colour on chart!). Being a scientist, I am used to a bit more precision!!
How long do ppl leave it if the ammonia drops but nitrite does not pick up?? Worrying about a stall (I realise ive only just started but excited!)

The fishless cycling method I wrote up is mainly for those who don't have plants, but for plants to have a large impact there needs to be a lot of them (think jungle) rather than two anubias and two moss balls.
Since neither filter contains zeolite or something similar to remove ammonia, a fishless cycle should follow more or less the sticky thread.

What I did about 0.75 ammonia when I cycled a sponge filter for my betta earlier this year was to look for a colour that was greener than 0.5 but yellower than 1.0. It is not critical that the level in stage #6 is exactly at or below 0.75; just yellower than 1.0 will do. The thinking behind this method (according to the chap who devised it) is that if the instructions are followed as closely as our test kits allow, neither ammonia nor nitrite can ever get high enough to stall the cycle.

Once ammonia starts to fall you should see nitrite. It is usually when someone seeds the filter with mature media that odd readings can happen, such as going straight from ammonia to nitrate - caused by there being enough nitrite eaters to remove the nitrite as soon as it is produced.
It can take a while for ammonia to start to fall. During my fishless cycle in spring, my ammonia showed no signs of doing anything until day 28.

Out of idle curiosity, what is your science discipline? It is a long time since I worked, but my background is chemistry and I do agree about the testers we have. Nitrate is the worst of the lot! But also having studied biochemistry as my auxiliary subject at least I am familiar with the fact that biological entities never follow nice straight lines  :)

Offline Andy The Minion

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2016, 07:13:15 PM »
@suzie61
I 100% agree with your comments on the inadequacy of the colour charts. I went through that same "What the Hell?" phase when I started. It gets worse when you buy your second and third test kit and find different colour cards in each!
I found three solutions, one is quick and easy, the second is just an improved test method the final more involved but completely solves the problem.
The quick solution is to google images of the colour charts and find an accurate one - I know that a stupid statement but what I mean is find one that 'looks' correct, that does actually transition from yellow through to whatever the darkest colour is in progressive steps without repeats (I have even seen even inversions in the charts!)
Once you have a good one view it on a tablet and zoom in so its nice a large with part of the white background in the view. Then hold the tube with it backlit by this white area. I accept this may also not be a perfect reading method but it is very consistent and much easier to read as it removes the variability of lighting.

A couple of other things I then do to improve the test itself.
No 1 Always but always shake the solution bottles, especially bottle 2 of the Nitrate test. Shake and bang this one to death before starting the test and then again as the instruction say before adding it, this will ensure the solution is fully suspended. It will give a better immediate test result and more importantly, doesn't allow the solution to get progressively more concentrate over the months as it is used up. I have seem people complain about 50ppm differences between old and new kits but I have done the same and been within 3ppm NitrAte so this does work.

Mark the tubes so you always use the same tube for the same test, and wash them well and straight after testing, this reduces the contamination.

Those were the big ones, the next are optional.
The test tube volumes are not consistent - try pouring from one to another and you probably see a difference. I now use a 5ml syringe that I blagged from the practice nurse (careful how you ask, unless you want some drug counselling :) ) these are much more accurate and remove the need to read the meniscus.

I don't use the test tubes for mixing the test but have a supply of disposable centrifuge phials, the tops actually seal and again you can give them a good shake and discard them after a couple of dozen tests to again reduce the possibility of contamination.

The final fix is a big one and I absolutely accept its not for everyone, but it is the gold standard.
I found a low(ish) cost colourimeter, it was $100 but it has the colour spectrum for all the API tests built in.
It its just a techy way of reading the colours but its much more accurate than the eye and massively better than the stupid colour charts.
I think it is actually much more accurate than is required, I believe it can repeatedly test water samples to within a ppm. This is definitely not required for NitrAte, but for Ammonia and NitrIte this sort of accuracy is fantastic, and I still think its the best bit of kit I have ever bought. But there again, I'm weird :)
Regards
Andy

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2016, 08:12:02 PM »
I also find it handy to use tap water as a control. If you are having trouble reading the ammonia you can compare it to the colour of the test done on the tap water.  :)

I have also gone down the route of syringes and extra tubes. I've also got myself a 96 test tube rack, which is handy as I have a lot of tanks to test.

Offline Sue

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2016, 08:24:20 PM »
The problem with a tap water control is that UK legislation allows up to 0.5 ppm ammonia and 0.1 ppm nitrite in drinking water. Not to mention nitrate of 50 ppm. If possible, even bottled water should (in theory) provide a better control.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2016, 08:37:25 PM »
Fair point about the allowed limits of stuff in tap water Sue.
My tap water nitrate is 40ppm, which is part of the reason I appreciate my floating plants  :)

Offline suzie61

• Fishy Member
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2016, 11:27:50 PM »
Thanks for the advice!
I went for measuring water with 5ml syringe, remembering to shake solutions before adding. I wont go as far as the colourimeter - my husband already thinks I bring too much work home! lol ..but the centrifuge tubes.... :)
I haven't been on here for a while... but today I can announce "tank conditioned"!!! and timed perfectly for weekend fish shopping.
I have refreshed the water, added conditioner AND remembered to turn the temp down! Here fishy fishy....  :fishy1:

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2016, 11:37:42 PM »
Congratulations  :cheers:

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2016, 07:43:38 AM »
Congratulations.  :cheers:

How exciting to be able to go out and get some fish this weekend. Please keep us updated.  ;D

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "New 64l tank...qus on filter and also plant substrate with sand"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
28 Replies
Last post November 27, 2014, 07:13:43 PM
by biffster
8 Replies
Last post November 13, 2016, 09:28:04 AM
by Sue
7 Replies
Last post September 30, 2018, 09:34:49 AM
by Matt
16 Replies
Last post September 07, 2019, 07:47:19 PM
by jaypeecee
7 Replies
Last post October 01, 2019, 08:00:23 PM
by Hampalong
0 Replies
Last post November 15, 2019, 09:22:02 PM
by Matt
6 Replies
Last post January 29, 2024, 12:19:16 AM
by Matt

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: