Is My Fish Ill? Please Help

Author Topic: Is my fish ill? Please help  (Read 4708 times) 3 replies

Offline daiva

• Fish Fry
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Is my fish ill? Please help
« on: August 21, 2014, 12:55:32 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Is my fish ill? i have Betta fish, but not sure if he is ok. His fins become very raggedy and scruffy recently so i put him in a separate tank for a few days with a bit of salt in it (to treat him with fin rot). Not sure but he didnt look very happy in there as he is very lively in my 40 liter tank with 4 peppered corrys and 6 copper harlequins. Now he has been reunited back and again very happy but his fins are not getting any better. i dont really want to stress him out again by removing, not sure if he meant to be like this as i only had him for a month.  My water is at 76.5F and i test water regularly, clean one a week, have plastic and live plants. Changed my filter twice now to get better results.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Harlequin Rasbora (4) - Cockatoo Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Tiger Barb (6) - Guppy (male) (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Is my fish ill? Please help
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 03:13:20 PM »
A few things spring to mind.

You say you have plastic plants - do they have sharp edges? These can cut a betta's fins.

Tankmates - cories should be OK and copper harlequins (are they Trigonostigma hengeli?) are usually OK with bettas but there is the possibility they are nipping his fins. Or they could just be stressing the betta as they are faster swimming fish that he is.

The filter. You say you've changed the filter twice. Do you mean the whole thing or just the media? If it's the whole thing, did you keep the media from the old filter and put it in the new? If you changed the media, with or without the casing, you would be doing a fish-in cycle every time you removed old media, and the resulting ammonia could be burning the betta's long fins.
Are you monitoring the ammonia and nitrite levels if you have been changing filters?
How strong is the water flow from the filter? Some bettas struggle if the water flow is too fast.

Temperature - 76.5F is 24.7C and that is a bit on the cool side for bettas. They like it around 26-27C or 78-80F.

Personally, I would set up a tank just for the betta. Something 20 to 25 litres is perfect, with a filter that has a slow flow, and a heater set to 27C/80F. Silk or live plants. And places for him to hide in and swim through. Plenty water changes (especially if you don't cycle the filter before putting him in) and even if the filter is cycled, still plenty water changes till his fins heal.

Offline daiva

• Fish Fry
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 04:18:20 PM »
Thank you Sue,

i changed an old filter (was too slow) to a new one first and it was way too strong (first few rips), so i bought then another new filter which seems better as it isn't too strong but circulates water in the tank. i only worry about my ammonia levels as it sometimes varies between 0-0.25. This morning was just below 1 so i changed 20% of water and added some of ammonia removal liquid. will see what is like tomorrow.
i bought this tank only to keep Siamese fighter so i dont really want to move him and i match the other fish just to go along with him, i hope that doesn't mean that i cant keep him  :( ...   

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Harlequin Rasbora (4) - Cockatoo Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Tiger Barb (6) - Guppy (male) (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 06:48:52 PM »
Don't use the ammonia removal liquid. You need to do water changes to keep the ammonia level below 0.25. Since you changed the filter you are now doing a fish-in cycle. You need to measure your ammonia and nitrite levels every day and do a water change if you see either or both above 0.25. Once they stay at zero by themselves, you can do weekly water changes.
With an ammonia reading of 1, you need to do a 75% water change to get it to 0.25, but then it will creep up past this level, so either a 90% water change or 2 x 75% changes an hour apart are needed for a 1ppm ammonia. Having any ammonia, let alone levels over 0.25, will prevent the betta's fins from healing. And water changes are also the best way to help his fins heal even without any ammonia or nitrite in the water.

I would also check your plastic plants for sharp edges. If they have any, it would be a good idea to swap them for silk plants or more live plants.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Is my fish ill? Please help"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
Fat Fish

Started by Chucklett « 1 2 » Fish Health

34 Replies
Last post October 26, 2012, 06:56:08 PM
by Chucklett
15 Replies
Last post November 14, 2012, 06:38:36 PM
by Chucklett
10 Replies
Last post December 03, 2012, 07:05:39 PM
by Chucklett
5 Replies
Last post December 29, 2012, 07:07:52 PM
by brecon
8 Replies
Last post January 10, 2014, 10:45:54 PM
by SteveS
0 Replies
Last post February 25, 2014, 11:01:05 AM
by Robert
2 Replies
Last post January 24, 2023, 05:37:00 PM
by Robert

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: