See less of these, become a Super Subscriber today!

Introduce Yourself!

Author Topic: Introduce yourself!  (Read 173410 times)

Offline Paddyc

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Think Fishy Member
Re: Introduce yourself!
« Reply #650 on: June 14, 2016, 08:50:29 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
That's not cheating, that's research.

You're dying to know what it is, aren't you?  :P

Offline Fiona

• Global Moderator
« Reply #651 on: June 14, 2016, 09:08:19 PM »
But it has a sort of barb appearance to it.......

The two spot orange tailed barb?  ::)

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #652 on: June 14, 2016, 09:14:15 PM »
75% of the way through the "research" (thanks, LF!) and not looking too optimistic that I'm going to get the answer... I think Fiona O'M's suggestion sounds good, though.

OK - last mag. The markings bear a resemblance to a pic of a Narayan barb, Pethia setnai - but the dorsal fin of it is orange-coloured (not the tail), the body looks deeper, and, come to think of it, those markings aren't quite in the same location. Hmmm - that's not it, and the barb in the pic looks less shark-like...

Edited to add: after lots of googling as well, it's most uncharacteristic of me but I'm on the verge of giving up due to being well-and-truly stumped...

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator
« Reply #653 on: June 14, 2016, 09:17:33 PM »
Got it!

In his post, member Hampalong said "I'll let you guess what it is".

That was a huge clue.

When you all give up, I'll tell you what it is and how I found out  ;D

(it did involve a bit of 'cheating')

Offline Paddyc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #654 on: June 14, 2016, 09:21:14 PM »
Man, it's like a fishy cryptic crossword puzzle now...  :vcross:

Offline Mascol

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Newish fish keeper
« Reply #655 on: June 14, 2016, 09:33:57 PM »
Hi there,

I've been lurking on fishy forums for a while (like some sinister presence!) but never became a member until very recently. This forum has a great and active feel to it, and lots of very helpful peeps, so it seemed the obvious choice!  :wave:

In terms of fishy history, my dad always kept tropical fish. For years we had a big five foot long tank that he had siliconed himself and built into a wall unit that separated the kitchen and dining room. We'd have dinner and watch the tiger barbs, plates, swordtails and kissing gouramis swim by. It was great, as well as very peaceful  ;D

Fast forward to the mid nineties when I was commuting 2 hours a day to and from a very busy job in London, whilst simultaneously doing a 2-year post graduate university degree. This was all very stressful, so I decided that having some fishes to look at would be wonderfully relaxing and help me unwind. So off I went to this little lfs in Kingston-upon-Thames run by a slightly eccentric lady with large glasses. She obviously loved fishes but she did sell me a small tank (probably no more than 45L) and six (yes six... I know  :-[) goldfish to put in it. The internet not being what it is today, and never having had goldfish (my dad only ever had tropical fish), I was alarmed to find that these goldfish just kept growing! And making a mess!

Eventually I took 4 back to the LFS. Some time after that two very thoughtful friends gave me a larger 90L fish tank as a wedding present and the remaining 2 goldfish moved into that. They were with me for several more years, but then my husband and I decided to have fry of our own, and the aquarium was shelved for several years.... until 3 years ago when son number one all of a sudden asked about having a goldfish.

I started by looking at small tanks that would fit in his room, but soon decided that it was much easier to keep a bigger tank downstairs - the larger the body of water, the more stable the environment, etc. I then remember my old 90L in the garage, so got that out, dusted it off, plugged it all in and hey presto, the old Eheim Classic 2213 was still up to the job :-) My son had asked for a goldfish but, well, I really fancied having tropical fish instead. In short, and you may not be surprised to hear this, the aquarium that was originally was going to be 'for my son' is now and in fact always has been entirely mine, mine, ALL MINE.

The aquarium was cycled without fish, although sadly there were some casualties due to incorrect advice from a large and supposedly reputable LFS not far from us (not the lady with the glasses)  :'( There were still some ups and downs but eventually I established a nice mature tank with generally healthy fish.

Last summer there was a small incident with the aquarium whilst we were away on holiday, involving an open top aquarium, a spray bar that was tilted upwards and water being sprayed out of the tank once the water level dropped below the level of the spray bar... When we arrived home we found the aquarium containing only 20 centimetres of water and the carpet soaked with tank water! Suffice to say the carpet was ruined, but much more importantly all fish survived the ordeal.

However, it did make me think that perhaps it was time to upgrade my tank (of an obscure German make MP Aquarien). After all it was getting on a bit (nearly 15 years old) and the cabinet has the worst design of any cabinet ever designed. And of course it made perfect sense to go for a BIGGER tank :-)

So now I have just set up a lovely Fluval Roma 240 (as well as new carpet in the lounge). Unfortunately I seem to have made a little bit of a hash of the whole tank-move/cycling thing. Also, whilst I have done lots of research on which fish make good community fish, I've only recently realised that our local tap water is a hugely important factor. As a result much of my stock is not really right for my tank :-( Thirdly, I'm hoping to get some rainbow fish soonish and am hoping for some expertise in that area here on ThinkFish. To avoid clogging up this thread, I'll be posting about my many issues (and that's before I've even started on my fish tank....) in the appropriate places.

/wave

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator
« Reply #656 on: June 14, 2016, 09:40:18 PM »
Hi Mascol, welcome to the forum  :wave:

You've had quite a journey to get here  :)

Ask any questions you want, one of us will probably be able to help.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #657 on: June 14, 2016, 09:45:51 PM »
You're very welcome, Mascol! :wave:

I've thoroughly enjoyed reading your "intro" and particularly chuckled at your comment about the old tank being "mine, mine, ALL MINE". Looking forward to being able to help you out if I can in due course and to read about what fish you ultimately opt to have in that lovely tank.

Offline Paddyc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #658 on: June 14, 2016, 09:47:48 PM »
Welcome, along, Mascol!!

Loved your background tale, very descriptive and funny  ;D

Looking forward to hearing what you have in the tank(s) at the moment and there's no doubt you'll get any and probably all the assistance you might need on here. It's great to have you  :cheers:

#picsoritdidnthappen

Offline Littlefish

• Super Subscriber!
  • aka Donna
« Reply #659 on: June 14, 2016, 09:49:28 PM »
Hi Mascol and welcome to the forum.  :wave:
So glad you decided to join us. I am all for the "mine, all mine" sentiment when setting up a tank (or two) currently have several Fluval Romas of varying sizes scattered around my living/dining room, along with some smaller tanks. I am very impressed with your fish surviving the holiday/spray bar incident.
Best of luck with your tank and we look forward to trying to help with any questions you have.  ;D

Offline Littlefish

• Super Subscriber!
  • aka Donna
« Reply #660 on: June 14, 2016, 09:57:16 PM »
As for Mark's fish, it's not cheating it's research, especially if you cite sources by telling us how you found out.
And I've already mentioned that I'm nosy, so wanting to know shouldn't be a huge surprise. I try to tell myself the it's not nosy, it's a need for continued education (yeah, right).
My slight downfall it that whenever I look at other fish I get distracted by said other fish, whether they would be suitable for my water, what size tank would I need, and where would I put another tank. It's a tough life.  ;D

Offline Mascol

• Fishy Member
« Reply #661 on: June 15, 2016, 12:09:22 AM »
Thank you for your kind and welcoming words  :) It's very nice to be here! I've already posted something in the New Fishkeeper forum and will do my best to keep updates flowing - though maybe not at Cora's rate! It's surprisingly interesting to read about other people's aquariums and fish  :))

Offline ColinB

« Reply #662 on: June 15, 2016, 07:15:31 AM »
Hello Mascol, and a warm welcome to the forum.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator
« Reply #663 on: June 15, 2016, 09:20:40 AM »
To keep it all in one place and not clutter up this thread, I have started a new one in General Fishkeeping Chat on the identity of the fish in hampalong's post.
Thread

Have fun trying to work it out  ;D

Offline HultonD

« Reply #664 on: August 18, 2016, 12:03:09 AM »
So after months of planning and research the tank arrives tomorrow! 30 years have passed since my last adventure in the tropical fish hobby. So excited! How things have changed. Cannot wait to get started setting up.

Offline Littlefish

• Super Subscriber!
  • aka Donna
« Reply #665 on: August 18, 2016, 06:20:57 AM »
Hi there and welcome to the forum.  :wave:

A new tank is always a very exciting time.  ;D
What tank is it?
Have you decided what sort of fish you want yet?
We love keeping up with what people are doing, so it would be great if you could start a thread about your new tank and keep us updated with lots of chat and photos during your set up.
 ;D

Offline ColinB

« Reply #666 on: August 18, 2016, 08:12:21 AM »
Hello, HultonD, and welcome to the forum.

Offline MarquisMirage

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #667 on: November 16, 2016, 12:28:16 AM »
Hi, just joined the forum today.

My aquarium story starts with an eight year old girl at a funfair in June who wins a prize at a hook-a-duck stand and looks at me with puppy dog eyes as she selects a 6cm comet goldfish.  So we bought a Superfish Aqua Expert 70l tank.

Many months later my daughter has lost interest in the aquarium but mine has only grown.  The tank now contains 10 WCMM, a dark blue male VT betta, 2 african dwarf frogs, 5 Amano shrimp, 5 assassin snails and a (now controlled) outbreak of pond snails.  They're all very happy and the water is crystal clear.

My wife has an Aquael Shrimp Set Smart 30l which she has aquascaped and contains blue and red cherry shrimp.

I'll be getting a 400l plus tank in January which will be a correctly setup project.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #668 on: November 16, 2016, 08:05:07 AM »
Welcome to the forum, @marquismirage  :wave:

My aquarium story starts with an eight year old girl at a funfair in June who wins a prize at a hook-a-duck stand and looks at me with puppy dog eyes as she selects a 6cm comet goldfish.
As someone with a particular soft spot for goldfish, I do hope there's a happy ending with the comet (eg he's been relocated to and swimming happily round a pond now) but maybe best not tell me if the story had a sad outcome...

Sounds as though you and your wife are really embracing fishkeeping/shrimpkeeping/frogkeeping which is great - quite rare to have two partners both as interested as one another, so well done there.  :)

Your best investment, if you don't already have one, is a good, liquid-based test kit for ammonia, nitrite and nitrates (eg API Masterkit) - this will ensure that you can measure progress through the new, large tank's fishless cycle as well as be able to monitor water quality in all the tanks. Crystal clear isn't necessarily a good indicator - ammonia, nitrite and high nitrates are toxic but invisible, so the only way to know is to use a test kit. Hope that's helpful.

Looking forward to reading how your developments progress - and seeing some pics too in due course.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator
« Reply #669 on: November 16, 2016, 09:56:36 AM »
Hi marquismirage  :wave:

That sounds familiar, only in my case it was two teenaged boys, a dart throwing stall, and 4 goldfish  ;D

And for fcmf's benefit, one goldfish didn't make it through the first night - in a large mixing bowl in undechlorinated water as the boys turned up from the fair late in the evening with the fish. The remaining three grew and grew and next summer were given to someone with a pond.

Offline Littlefish

• Super Subscriber!
  • aka Donna
« Reply #670 on: November 16, 2016, 10:03:16 AM »
Hi @marquismirage and welcome to the forum.  :wave:

Great to see the family getting involved with aquatics, and the  way you started appears to be quite a common one.

I always appreciate anyone who gets so invoved that they go from a 70L to a 200L in a matter of months as it makes me look slightly more normal.  ;D

Offline MarquisMirage

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #671 on: November 16, 2016, 02:05:21 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 2
Thank you all.  All advice is welcome.

fmcf, my wife and I tried really hard to keep the goldfish alive... and succeeded.  We both realised right away the mini tank he was in was a death sentence and got the 70l tank the same day.  Used some chems to clean the water and crossed fingers.  We got a friend for him (a shubunkin) and both lived happily in the tank for two months before being moved to a pond with other goldfish (with permission) where my wife works.  She checks in on them and they're doing fine but currently covered for winter.  That was before the betta and frogs.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator
« Reply #672 on: November 16, 2016, 02:13:17 PM »
Can I give you a warning about keeping frogs with bettas, something to be aware of. Forewarned is forearmed  :)
I once had a betta with 2 frogs. As you will know, bettas are greedy little things which will eat anything, and frogs have poor eyesight. Shortly after feeding my tank the betta went to look for food on the tank bottom and one of the frogs mistook him for live food. I caught the betta frantically swimming round the tank trying to dislodge the frog which was clamped onto his tail.
I set up my quarantine tank and moved the frogs into that, and spent the next few weeks trying to cure the finrot that took hold of the damaged part of the betta's tail.

Offline MarquisMirage

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #673 on: November 16, 2016, 06:52:36 PM »
My wife wants to transfer the betta to her shrimp tank as the shrimp breed like crazy and the betta can be used for population control.  I'm concerned that the betta may eat all the cherry shrimp given their size.  What do you think?

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator
« Reply #674 on: November 16, 2016, 07:01:30 PM »
Bettas have very variable personalities. Some will ignore shrimps, others will kill every one they can find. I did once read of a betta that was killed by shrimps - he ate far too many in one sitting and it did him no good at all.

One thing you could try is putting a couple of shrimps in the tank the betta is in now. They will be safe with the other fish in there and the frogs and it will show immediately if he is a shrimp hunter. If he's laid back with them then maybe move him and see what happens.

I have had a series of bettas. Until recently the tank had silk plants which regularly got covered in algae. I would remove the plants every so often and scrub the algae off under the garden tap. On one occasion with my previous betta I managed to get a woodlouse on the plants and it ended up in the tank. The betta went frantic and tried to dismantle the woodlouse. It was only when it played dead that he lost interest. This is the kind of behaviour to watch out for.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #675 on: November 16, 2016, 08:56:10 PM »
fmcf, my wife and I tried really hard to keep the goldfish alive... and succeeded.  We both realised right away the mini tank he was in was a death sentence and got the 70l tank the same day.  Used some chems to clean the water and crossed fingers.  We got a friend for him (a shubunkin) and both lived happily in the tank for two months before being moved to a pond with other goldfish (with permission) where my wife works.  She checks in on them and they're doing fine but currently covered for winter.
Excellent - this lovely story has completely made my day (stifling the lump in throat and watery eyes with joy - I kid you not!). Thanks for sharing this.  :)

Offline Andy The Minion

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #676 on: November 16, 2016, 11:20:18 PM »
Woodlice you say @Sue Well that is very logical because they are close relatives of shrimp and ....my grandmother told me they were used in cooking to add a flavour of prawns. Umm yummy Im off to rummage under some logs,  anybody want to try some?

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
« Reply #677 on: November 17, 2016, 06:43:32 AM »
 :sick:

Offline Littlefish

• Super Subscriber!
  • aka Donna
« Reply #678 on: November 17, 2016, 01:30:05 PM »
Ummmm, no thanks, I'm still a bit full from lunch, but I appreciate the offer. Really I do.

Offline Gazzariff

• Fishy Member
« Reply #679 on: January 10, 2017, 01:15:15 PM »
Hi everyone another newbie hoping to join the ranks, my name is Graham I hail from South Shields and I am currently setting up my first tank 64L in size. No doubt I will be coming on here to pick all your brains in the near future but for now a big HELLO to everyone.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator
« Reply #680 on: January 10, 2017, 02:25:39 PM »
Hi Gazzariff, welcome to the forum  :wave:

Offline Littlefish

• Super Subscriber!
  • aka Donna
« Reply #681 on: January 10, 2017, 04:02:22 PM »
Hi there @Gazzariff and welcome to the forum.  :wave:

Offline fcmf

« Reply #682 on: January 10, 2017, 07:45:47 PM »
Welcome to the forum and fishkeeping, Graham / @Gazzariff  :wave:

Looking forward to hearing from and helping you in due course.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
« Reply #683 on: January 10, 2017, 09:10:08 PM »
Hello from a fellow 64litre owner  :)

Offline fish-friends

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Member
« Reply #684 on: January 14, 2017, 11:05:02 PM »
Hey, I'm new to the forum and the world of fish, well fish in a tank! I visit Cyprus every summer and love to dive to see how many different fish I can see, I find it so relaxing watching them all swim happily (while trying to stay still so they will come near me)
My son also loves the little fishies he sits still in the water and there are lots of little white fish,
This year he said he'd made a Christmas wish to have his own fish so that's what we have🐠🐠🐠🐠
But I wish I'd of found this site before adding my four flame tetras as clearly fishless cycling is the way to go!!
But now I know and with the help of sue  :)
How to get my water right and daily water changes and testing are really working!
I came to this forum for help and that's exactly what I got! People on here seem very friendly and helpful.
I am looking forward to increasing my fish and learning how to keep them all happy   :fishy1: :fishy1:

Offline fcmf

« Reply #685 on: January 15, 2017, 08:59:23 AM »
2 of the 3 messages removed as this message had been triple-posted.  C:-)

Offline fish-friends

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Member
« Reply #686 on: January 15, 2017, 10:59:21 AM »
Yes sorry about that not good with technology!!  :)

Offline fcmf

« Reply #687 on: January 15, 2017, 02:16:08 PM »
No probs at all, and glad you're enjoying the forum. :fishy1:

You've brought back a memory of when I was a young child, enjoying watching those little white fish near the rocks on Spanish beaches when on hols. I used to catch them in a bucket, watch them swimming in there for a while, then let them out back into the sea - unfortunately, I recall that some of them looked a bit worse for wear by the time I set them free again...  :-[

Offline Ian1962

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #688 on: August 16, 2017, 02:49:30 PM »
 :wave:
 Hi my name is Ian. I'm 54 years of age. I kept tropical fish around 30 years ago for 3 years. It was all different Back then. I came back to fish keeping 8 years ago. I have a Jewel 260 ltr freshwater setup, which is a community tank. I have a reasonable understanding and knowledge of the hobby. I have tried a number of times keeping floating plants, with no success. 2 months ago my tank lighting unit blew. So I changed and bought led lighting unit, and my tank is now open topped. I have now kept floating plants for 2 months and they are showing signs of new growth. So I must be doing something write. I'm always interested to learn more about this fascinating hobby. It just goes to show, an old dog like me can learn new tricks.  :rotfl:

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
« Reply #689 on: August 16, 2017, 03:50:37 PM »
Hi Ian!  :wave:

I too have had limited success with floating plants. Even duckweed(!) I think I've figured out why though... many species don't like high surface flow from filters which they can easily get sucked towards. In particular they don't much like being submerged by it. I'm just trying a new species (Limnobium Laevigatum) though which I'm giving 3 weeks to show its muscle against my filter and ill then report back.

Which species of floating plants do you have?

Offline Ian1962

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #690 on: August 16, 2017, 05:39:36 PM »
Hi Matt
  I'm experimenting with Limnobium Laevigatum. Also something a bit different, Hygroryza Aristata which is a water grass, but also a floating plant. It's different in as much as it looks like a stem plant with large narrow leaves. Also Elodia Densa which can be planted as a background plant. But im using it as a floating plant. All are doing well at present. I'm using 8 hours of lighting a day, also dosing with liquid carbon once a day and liquid frets once a week. My fish seem to love them. In time I will pick one I prefer and go with that one plant.
A tip I use is fishing line tied to 2 rubber suckers. Laid across the tank at water level near the filter inlet. It keeps my plants away from the filter.  :cheers:

Offline fcmf

« Reply #691 on: August 16, 2017, 05:59:11 PM »
Welcome, @Ian1962:wave: The suspense is too much for me - do enlighten us as to what fish you have in your community tank.  :fishy1:

@Matt - re floating plants, I've responded with some suggestions in the thread with that title.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
« Reply #692 on: August 16, 2017, 06:42:57 PM »
I always thought that Hygroryza Aristata looked too big for my 65 ltr. I mean with roots that went too deep and leaves too high up... does that make sense? What do you think?

Possibly a good place excuse to upload a photo of your tank!? @Ian1962

Offline Littlefish

• Super Subscriber!
  • aka Donna
« Reply #693 on: August 16, 2017, 07:01:22 PM »
Hi Ian and welcome to the forum.  :wave:

We'd love to see some pics of your tank.  :)

Offline Ian1962

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #694 on: August 16, 2017, 08:14:27 PM »
Thank you for warm welcome.
Hope photo of my tank works ok, never uploaded photo before.
Current fish in my tank are. 4 sunset Gourami, 6 Cherry barbs, 6 Golden barbs, 4 Rosy tetra, 1 Ruby shark, 4 Lepord Cory. My plants are low tech, Anubias, Crypts, Java fern. I'm quiet pleased with my tank, it gives me many hours of enjoyment.
Sorry I tried to send a photo of my tank, but it won't allow me to send it

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator
« Reply #695 on: August 17, 2017, 08:53:42 AM »
Hi Ian, welcome to the forum  :wave:

Did you use the attachment button just below the text box? There is a size limit for photos; I've had to resize mine in the past.

Offline Ian1962

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #696 on: August 17, 2017, 01:07:20 PM »
Hi Sue.
Thanks for that info. I'm not up with computer tech. I will try give it ago.
Thanks.  :fishy1:

Offline Aquarius Barbara

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #697 on: August 25, 2017, 12:48:23 AM »
Hello  everyone
My name is Barbara I live in Consett County Durham Uk.
I have been pondering for years about setting up an aquarium, I have always like fish though only ever had goldfish, as a child at home the family had them and I was always the one that ended up caring for them even if they weren't mine, then as a wife and mother again ended up caring for them even though they were hubby's and kids.. but I always felt I would like some tropical/marine fish, so now that kids are up and gone (Hubby Still Here  :D  His name is Alan by the way)  I have decided to take action and set up an aquarium.

So hoping to learn lots from this forum and hopefully gain some knowledge in the next few weeks while I buy and set up the tank.

I would love some help on what is the best reading material to help me along the way and if members could kindly point out any good posts to read on the forum for setting up a tank.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator
« Reply #698 on: August 25, 2017, 08:51:03 AM »
Hi Barbara, welcome to the forum  :wave:

I'll reply more fully in this thread https://forums.thinkfish.co.uk/say-a-big-hi!/newbie-hello/msg35102/?topicseen#new

Offline Littlefish

• Super Subscriber!
  • aka Donna
« Reply #699 on: August 26, 2017, 11:10:16 AM »
Hi Barbara and welcome to the forum.  :wave:

Looking forward to hearing about the plans for your tank.  :)

See less of these, become a Super Subscriber today!

See less of these, become a Super Subscriber today (see below)

** Become a ThinkFish Super Subscriber **

It takes time and money to keep ThinkFish going, if you'd like to help, then a one off Donation or a Subscription of your choice would be fantastic. Starting from less than 2p per day; your subscription will help fund new articles, pay for server costs and help fund development and promotion initiatives, helping us bring you more of the good stuff you love! You'll also see less ads. Why not become a Super Subscriber today!?

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 

Think Fish © 2004-2018 | Keeping Tropical Fish Forum - Everything you need for your Tropical Fish hobby

Tropical Fish Help and Advice
Tropical Fish Keeping Community
General Non-Fishkeeping Chat
Legal | Contact
SEO Services in Kent
Follow Think Fish on: