Introduce Yourself!

Author Topic: Introduce yourself!  (Read 213426 times) 715 replies

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Introduce yourself!
« on: September 19, 2012, 02:38:18 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
The old Thinkfish forum had many active members, who will hopefully soon find the new forum is now active, and there will be many new members joining. I thought that it might be an idea for members, both old and new, to introduce ourselves.

I’ll go first

I started keeping fish in 1995 when my teenaged sons came home from the fair with 4 goldfish. I gave the goldfish away after 9 months, bought a heater and got tropical fish. I signed up to Thinkfish in 2006 after finding the forum while researching a fish I wanted to buy.
Back in ’06 the forum did not have the facility for user names; we had to use our real names. So although we can now choose user names, since I was known on the old Thinkfish forum by my real name I will continue to be known as Sue.

I have a rather old degree in chemistry, and one of my sons worked for several years for a water testing company, so I am usually able to help with water chemistry problems, even if I have to consult my son occasionally.
I was well known on the old forum for my lack of plants growing skills so I leave planted tanks to other people.

I currently have 3 tanks.

125 litre
Green neon tetras, male endler/guppy hybrids, dwarf chain loaches, trio cockatoo cichlids, trio honey gouramis, amano (japonica) shrimps, zebra nerite snails.
Sand substrate
Java fern, anubias, salvinia

50 litre
Male plakat betta (moved), female and fry endler/guppy hybrids, pygmy cories, cockatoo apisto juveniles (swapped for the killifsh) and 2 red and 1 bumblebee nerites. And the occassional male endler/guppy visitor for breeding purposes. New: 10/10/12 a trio of Aphyosemion striatum, a type of killifish
Sand substrate
Java fern, hornwort, salvinia

25 litre
Male plakat betta
Sand substrate
Java fern

Just to prove I do have other interests besides fish, I have collections of African violets, thimbles and minerals in the shape of eggs. I’m also interested in family history/genealogy.

narp

Re: Introduce yourself!
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 04:11:03 PM »
Hello.

I 're'-started with fish at Easter this year, after a break of some 20 years.

I found this forum months ago in it's broken-down state when I was searching for online information to help me with my shockingly out of date knowledge.

I use a freshwater sumped setup with a weir and a refuge (refugium?) because I was given a tank that was a marine setup in an earlier incarnation, and I run a Moving Bed Filter in the sump with k1 media, like a koi pond might, because it looked interesting when I read about it and I needed a filter of some sort! The advantage of being out of date is that I don't know when I'm trying something stupid or difficult, and therefore stand an increased chance of getting away with it.

I have a single tank - around 400 litres in the new parlance (I would have called it a 'four-footer' in the old days), which reaches that capacity in combination with the sump running underneath. It's tropical, but at the lower end of what's defined by that - 23 degrees C keeps my Daisy's Ricefish, Cardinal Tetras, White Cloud Mountain Minnows, Bronze Corydoras, Oto's and Red Cherry Shrimp all happy.

What I have noticed above everything else 'this time' around in fish-keeping is how helpful, knowledgeable and generous are the fish-keepers online - I am proud that the only fish I have had to buy from a shop have been Oto's (they're blessed difficult things to find through breeders or enthusiasts!).

So, many congratulations on managing to sort out your technical issues with the forum - I have enjoyed the Guides and Fish Profiles I have browsed so far, and will continue visiting.                           

Offline Sue

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 04:26:45 PM »
Hi narp, nice to see a new face. I'm so jealous of your tank. 125 litres is the biggest I'm allowed - for some reason my husband thinks that furniture is important :o

Offline Chucklett

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 09:48:20 AM »
Welcome back Sue! And welcome to the Forum Narp  :D 400 litres...... WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Will you be posting photos in the gallery at some point??? We love to see pictures of other peoples tanks & fish on here.

Ive been checking regularly for the forum to be up & trotting again and am delighted this morning to find its now running!

My story:

Being allergic to fur, Ive always kept birds. I got my first tank in April 2010. A 200 litre Roma with an AquaManta EFX 300 external filter. My first fish were 4 Mollies. 36 hours later I had 24 mollies!!! That was when I found out that Mollies give birth every 6 weeks or so! Thus, the 200 litre became my Molly tank, but also stocked with 4 Otos, 5 SAEs and 9 Japonica Shrimps.

It wasnt long before I wanted another tank! So along came the 240 litre Roma with an AquaManta EFX 400 external filter. This tank is now about a year old with 12 Cardinal Tetras, 4 SAEs, 6 Dwarf Chain Loaches, Forktail Rainbows, Threadfin Rainbows and Neon Green Rasboras.

Im also now quite experienced in moving tanks! Needing a new carpet in the lounge, I thought it a good idea to do it before getting the second tank, so had to move the 200 litre out, have the new carpet laid, then move the tank back again! Whilst ThinkFish has been offline, we moved house. Both tanks were moved 15 miles with, sadly, a few fish loss. But we love our new bungalow with huge garden! (Old ThinkFishers will be happy to know that!)

Sue - I will probably be posting about the difference in water here.... its worse than the old place! pH test went straight to deep purple with the first drop of solution.....

So, welcome back peeps. Looking forward to seeing who else comes back and also "meeting" newbies  ;)

Offline Sue

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 10:25:39 AM »
Hi Chucklett - you've managed to move I see. I'll bet that's a relief. I think 'filtration and cycling' is the section for pH's since it does say water chemistry too. We'll soon get the hang of the new layout.

You found the forum was back pretty quickly, it only reappeared yesterday. I had advance notice  ;D While I was waiting I looked through the shop database and noticed there were some updates for my area, so I emailed the site owner - who said he'd email me back when the forum was active again. I got the email on Tuesday evening so I was ready waiting yesterday.
Oh, and that validation thing every time you want to post - I asked, it disappears when you've made a few posts. Forums these days have problems with spambots and I presume this is a way to deter them.

My tanks have moved on a bit since the forum was last active. I've broken my own rule and put a betta in with other fish! Though you might notice that most are not very colourful - grey, black and white cories, grey endler females and even the apisto juveniles are grey and black for the time being. I do have a male endler in there at the moment but the betta ignores it.
Speaking of apisto juveniles, my cockatoo apsitos bred just before the old 60 litre tank started to leak. 5 fry survived being moved around, 2 males and 3 as yet unknown. But my gorgeous gold male cockatoo got dropsy and died  :'(  And my bolivian rams have died. I wasn't surprised at the female, she was never right after getting gravel stuck in ther throat and she just got thinner and thinner. After she died, the male just went downhill till he died as well.

Edit - I have discovered that if you want a notification email when there's a new post on a thread, you have to click the notify box at the bottom of the thread. There are a few differences from the old forum - we now have a personal messaging system for instance.  I spent a while in my profile settings getting it set up how I want!

Offline Chucklett

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 08:10:08 PM »
Thanks for the tips with the new site. I will treat myself to an afternoon of having a good look round, sort out my settings & profile etc. We only moved 4 weeks ago so Ive not really had time to do much other than unpack! Ive popped online quickly here & there to check emails (and ThinkFish!) so it was just luck really that I looked this morning. Although I lost a few fish, Im actually very pleased with the move and how the tanks have settled so quickly.

Im sorry to hear you've lost a few. Your male cockatoo was gorgeous - if I remember rightly, you hadnt had him that long. I guess the female ram was inevitible and its a shame Mr.Ram pined himself to death. Who says animals have no emotion? Great to hear about the fry though and I had to chuckle about the Beta!

I will find the chemistry section you mention and post on there in due course. Thanks again  :)

Offline Stuart

• Fishy Member
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 08:12:36 PM »
Hi all, (all 3 of you! lol).

Good to see the forum is up and running at last. It's been so long I can't remember what my user/nick name was on the last website.

I have the 4 foot tank which I got for free a couple of years ago. I cleaned and revamped it and I've loved it ever since. I started off with 2 internal filters and 2 internal heaters. I now have a 1400 lph pond solutions external filter and a Hydor external heater.

I used to have a cichlid tank (until they all matured at around the same time and all hell broke loose). I then changed to a pair of large red severums which laid numerous eggs which either weren't fertilised or got eaten.

I now have guppy's, neon tetra's, a bristle nose plec, a horse faced loach, angel fish (which have just started to lay eggs) and Kribensis (a male and 50-60 large fry in the main tank and a female and 50-60 small fry in my 60 litre quarantine tank).

I am having to give the large fry away tomorrow, as the store I have been selling (50p per fish) will no longer take kribs due to the market flooding (no pun intended). If anyone wants some krib fry, I'm in Buckinghamshire!

Hope to let you help me soon Sue!

Stuart.

Offline Pixiecatjo

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Member
Re: Introduce yourself! Hello again!
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2012, 09:14:28 PM »
Hello all, its really good to have the forum back up and running, I have a Juwel Rio 180 tropical aquarium, with 3 Peppered Corys, 2 Sterbia Corys, 1 Bolivian Ram, a pair of albino Bristle nose cats, a pair of Lace Gourami's, 3 Pencil fish, 4 Harlequin Rasboros, 4 Slender Rasboros, 4 Otto's, 3 Black Neon Tetra's, 2 Threadfin Rainbow fish, and 3 Glowlite Danios, now i know its a bit of a mix, but its kind of an on-going evolution, having been given the tank complete with fish, some 2 years ago from my sister who was down sizing.
I also have a 28ltr nursery tank which currently has around 40 baby Bristle nose cats in as the pair in my main tank have spawned a couple of times, which was really exciting for me! :o
I have always received really good advice everyone on here, so its really good to have you back!!  ;D

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Clown Loach (1) - Neon Tetra (5) - Black Molly (1) - Zebra Loach (1) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Murf

• Fishy Member
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2012, 01:24:05 AM »
Hi all again, I can't remember what user name I used back on the old forum but it was either Fluffter or Murf I used.  Anyway I'm back again and with bigger and better tales to tell as I bought a Juwel 400 back in july and still have my 3ft tank that I originally started with back in February.  Really got into growing plants and now have a well planted 5ft tank which I will get blogged as soon as I get a bit of time to update. 
I have kept checking back for the forum and Im really glad you are back online  :)

Offline Sue

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2012, 08:51:52 AM »
Fluffter, there was an Irish member called Murf on the old forum......?
I've seen your thread in the gallery, the new tank is already looking spectacular even just at the water and wood stage. And the 3 foot is looking good. I think it was your cycle with ammonia that made me ammend my fishless cycling thread, Natalia or Julia said about high ammonia levels damaging some types of plant.

And there was also a member called Stuart.

Returning members will probably remember that I posted a lot (probably inane drivel a lot of the time) so I read the names of the regular posters over and over again! I have the kind of brain that retains trivial information, but ask me to do something and I'll forget. So remembering names on a forum is easy, remembering to turn the oven on to cook dinner is a completely different matter.

Offline Murf

• Fishy Member
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2012, 01:49:54 PM »
Yeah Sue that was me then lol .... now under the guise of Fluffter :)

Offline SteveS

• With apologies to M.C.Escher
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2012, 08:12:48 PM »
You're back! ;D ;D  I'm afraid I've sinned and have visited, and yes, even posted, on other forums whilst you were gone.  I thought you weren't coming back; I lost hope;  It wasn't the same;  It didn't mean anything;  I'm sorry!

Nice to see some familiar faces already;  Hi chucklett, sticking to the scientific method I see ("can I have a yellow one please")  :)  Hi Sue, I like the inane drivel best! :)

My life has been pretty eventful, but not in the good sense. I succumbed to a raging infection of the leg, ankle to knee was all ... well it wasn't a pretty sight.  I am now entering my fifth week of antibiotics, including a week of IV antibiotics in hospital in an attempt to control it.  One of the side-effects was to make my brain hurt!  I went through a whole range of weird stuff, hallucinations, paranoia, disorientation... I thought I was losing it!  Anyway, one of the unintended side-effects was that my tank got wiped out due to, I am sorry to admit, neglect, albeit unintended.

So I have a 110 litre planted tank, cycled filter and an empty shopping list for fish to filled over the next week or so.

Now, how can we advertise the new forum?

Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2012, 09:01:40 PM »
Ahh so that was you ('wonky steve') on a certain other forum! I did wonder with the user name but they don't like mention of rival forums on blank.net (the owner here might not like rival forums either!) and you didn't have enough posts to pm you. I'm essjay over there.
Your health problem sound really awful, I'm glad you're finally on the mend. Your fish tank was the least of your worries.

Did all your fish die or were there some survivors?

Offline Mike

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2012, 09:30:47 PM »
Awesome, think fish is back! I've been waiting ages for its long awaited rise from the ashes!

My story:

As a kid I kept a few fish tanks with my Mum doing most of the work. I really enjoyed going to the fish shops choosing new fish and watching them in the tank.
Many years later, having moved out of home, I decided to get another tank. Should be easy I thought having kept a few tanks before! How wrong I was! Turns out fish keeping is a lot harder than I remember. I think my Mum must have been doing all the hard work and worrying for me.

My tanks
Aquaone 620, 90 litre
Set up in August 2010
Sand substrate
Live plants
1 red tailed black shark, 4 blue rams, 6 harlequin rasbora, 6 rummy nose tetra, 1 bristle nose Pleco, 4 khuli loach, 4 amano shrimp, 2 corydoras, 1 zebra nerite and several assassin snails

Aqua nano 40, 55 litre
Set up May 2012
Tetra complete substrate and black gravel
Live plants
4 cherry shrimp with lots of babies, 5 crystal red shrimp, 8 neon tetra, 1 small bristle nose Pleco, 1 nerite snail and 2 assassin snails

Offline SteveS

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2012, 10:20:38 PM »
Your health problem sound really awful, I'm glad you're finally on the mend. Your fish tank was the least of your worries.

Did all your fish die or were there some survivors?

Hi Sue!  "Newbie" eh, can't be the Sue I know.  :)

'Wonky' was me.  When I escaped from hospital (big thanks to Eric from the Escape Committee) I had 1 surviving Cherry Barb!  Sadly, it perished soon after I started repairing the water.

Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -

Offline Chucklett

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2012, 08:51:22 AM »
Good to see people finding the forum up & running again.

Hi Stuart. Good to hear alls well your end. And you were "Stuart" before so I recognised you straight away. You kept coming & going before, so I hope you're around a bit more this time. It gets a bit worrying when people disappear..... remember Jan? Lovely chap.....

I dont remember you Pixiecatjo. I guess you must have had a different username before?

Fluffter, I remember you as Murf. You hadnt long joined the site before it went "off air" so its good to see you persevered with checking back in.

SteveS! Great to hear from you. Sorry to hear of your woes lately. Sounds pretty awful. Good that you're on the mend though. "Scientific Chuck" as always  :)

Offline Sue

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2012, 11:58:58 AM »
Hi Sue!  "Newbie" eh, can't be the Sue I know.  :)

That's the worst thing about us all starting again from zero, I had a postcount of 4000+ on the old forum. You'll notice I'm well on the way to the next 4000  ;D I think Peter must have agreed to me posting so much as soon as the forum was open to encourage new members to join. Nothing more off putting than a forum with no posts  :)

Steve, what are your plans for the tank? Same again or something completely different?

Edited for terrible spelling

Offline marjanb021

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2012, 12:46:56 PM »
Hi everyone.  :)
My name is Marjan and I'm from Serbia. Sorry for eventually language mistakes.  ;D

This website is great and I'm happy to join it. There's so many good informations here. All commendation.  ;)

I don't think I'm advanced experienced aquarist although I have aquarium all my life and kept so many species.

Currently I have active one 112liter aquarium with couple of guppies, black mollies, two around 15 years old Giant danio's and one around 7 years old Peppered cory. Plants are cryptocoryne aponogetifolia, Egeria Densa, anubias nana and Java moss. Have External filter and quartz substrate. Aquarium is very very old and in bad shape so I plan to repair and refresh him as soon as I get time and the money. :D

Offline Sue

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2012, 12:54:48 PM »
Hi Marjan, nice to have a new member. Don't worry about any language mistakes, so long as we know what you mean that's all that matters.

We had a very friendly community on the old forum, so don't forget to join with all the chatter as well as fish stuff  :)

Offline SteveS

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2012, 01:20:48 PM »
Hi Marjan;  Welcome to the madhouse!  Don't worry about your English, it's far superior to my, and probably everyone else's, Serb.

Steve, what are your plans for the tank? Same again or something completely different?
  In the short term, I don't really have the mobility, or the energy, to shop around for fish, so I plan on doing some work on the plants, they took a bit of a hammering over the last few weeks but have, mostly survived.

In the longer term I have two plans, mutually exclusive I'm afraid.  1)  A new community, it will be different but the same.  The only species I have decided upon are a load of corydora something or other.  2) Shelldwellers, I have taken a fancy to some Neolamprologus multifasciatus.  I am doing research as we speak.

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Introduce yourself!"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
16 Replies
Last post August 26, 2018, 09:45:32 PM
by Matt
3 Replies
Last post November 12, 2018, 09:27:17 PM
by Matt
8 Replies
Last post November 12, 2018, 09:32:21 PM
by Matt
4 Replies
Last post January 23, 2019, 06:43:10 AM
by Matt
2 Replies
Last post August 08, 2019, 09:10:31 PM
by Littlefish
7 Replies
Last post February 13, 2021, 05:24:28 PM
by Mussoda
0 Replies
Last post July 08, 2021, 01:00:58 AM
by Robert

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: