Introduce Yourself!

Author Topic: Introduce yourself!  (Read 214072 times) 715 replies

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Introduce yourself!
« Reply #80 on: November 04, 2012, 02:21:29 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
3 foot tall - you'll need arms like an orang utan to reach the bottom of that  ;D

Hmmmm...... I seem to remember a thread on the old forum where we were discussing the need for scuba diving Sven (or his sister for the men) to clean our enormous tanks for us. That's not what you were thinking of is it   ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Don

• Fishy Member
« Reply #81 on: November 04, 2012, 02:30:50 PM »
Haha i wasnt but i am now  ::). Hmm think that would go down worse than getting rid of a sofa.

Ye that i havnt figured out yet, need them to invent gogo gadget arms.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Golden Pencilfish (25) - Panda Cory (20) - Panda Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Lampeye Panchax (15) - Bristlenose Plec (2) - Discus (7) - Sparkling Gourami (8) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Bristlenose Plec (3) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline andy.basingstoke

« Reply #82 on: November 06, 2012, 06:47:31 PM »
Hi My name is Andy and im brand new to Fish keeping. i have a tropical setup with a few fish. :-\

Offline Chucklett

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #83 on: November 07, 2012, 10:42:56 AM »
Hi Andy - welcome to the forum and the wonderful fishkeeping hobby  :)

You've found a very friendly and helpful site so any problems or questions you may have, feel free to ask and the lovely folk here will do their best to help you......... The only silly question is one that isnt asked  ;) With regards to any problems, remember to add as much info as possible in your posts - it helps us (well, usually Sue, bless her!) to work out what could be going wrong and how to put things right. Include things like the size of your tank, what fish you have and how many of each, your maintenance regime, when you last changed or added anything, and most importantly your water readings (pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate), along with anything else you can think of.

Hope to "see" you joining in with discussions too!

Maybe when you've got time you could pop a pic of your setup in the gallery? We like to nose at other peoples tanks and fish  ;D

Good luck  :)

Offline Richard123

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #84 on: November 07, 2012, 10:41:54 PM »
Evening all,

Good to see the site is up and running. My name is Richard, I was an irregular
visitor towards the end of the old site being closed down.However I am now into
the 3rd year of keeping quality water, plants and fish  :).

I still have the one tank, 320lt (ish) 5ft tank, FX5 filtration (still going strong), 5pcs
bogwood, medium planted, 4 banks of LED lights with controller (Chuck, you sent
me a nice thread on lighting  ;D).

Current stock, Sunshine Plec L014, Blue Spotted Phantom Plec, 4 x BN Catfish
6 x Denosini Barbs (torpedo barbs), Violet Dragon Goby, Columbian Red Fin x 8,
mixed Tetra shoal, Silver Tips & Lemon, 8 x Copper Harlequins, 2 x Golden Panchax
& 2 Blue Diamond Discus. Many Assasin snails.

Will talk soon and load some pics.

Offline Chucklett

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #85 on: November 08, 2012, 08:29:30 AM »
Hey Richard, welcome back! Hope you're around a bit more this time  ;)

Look forward to seeing how your tank is looking  :)

Ahhhhh, LEDs  :P My infamous lighting thread is gonna haunt me forever innit???!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline brecon

• Fishy Member
« Reply #86 on: November 14, 2012, 09:37:42 AM »
Hi

I'm Brecon

Been fishkeeping now for 19 years and have two tanks.

The first is a 240ltr with a mix of Congos and Clown Loaches, two of the loaches I have had since I started and they have moved house twice. Love these fish although they can give you a few scares.

The second tank is new to me, my wife came home after walking one of furrier creatures and told me that there was Bow front aquarium on someones driveway down the road marked for sale. Turned out to 180 litres bow fronted with a stand and lots of bits and pieces £60.00 the lot. Well who could refuse a bargain. Needed a very good cleaning but way too good to miss. Anyway its set up and built into my new study. Painted the glass black on the outside and sorted out some new Eheim filters to keep the guys clean and happy. All cycled up and looks great, something to watch when I am on the phone. Always say it beats TV never any repeats.

Great Forum and Website.... Looking forward to the new community creator and gettiung down to reading the posts.

Thanks for all the good advice in anticipation

Offline Sue

« Reply #87 on: November 14, 2012, 09:56:14 AM »
Hi Brecon, with 19 years under your belt, you should be able to give plenty advice  ;D

Offline ros

• Fish Fry
« Reply #88 on: December 07, 2012, 07:43:50 AM »
Hello I'm Ros I came on to  the old forum  for advice  and asking endless questions  for a long time  when i first started keeping fish 3 years ago. I can honestly say that without all the help and advice i've had I  wouldn't still be keeping fish!!

Offline ColinB

« Reply #89 on: December 17, 2012, 03:08:14 PM »
Hello all - I'm Colin and I'm pretty new to fishkeeping having bought an AquaCube 40 (55 litres) in May. At the moment I've got one Platy and 4 guppies in it, plus lots of plants. I've had all sorts of problems with Capillaria worms and fin-rot (well - the fish have, not me) taking it's toll, plus a snail infestation that blocked the pump flow down enough for two guppies to swim up the out-flow and get mashed by the impellor. The resulting mess caused an ammonia spike which offed one of the platies!!

I've also got a 5-gallon quarentine tank that has a guppy whom I suspect still has worms and a platy bully in it. I've tried a few time to get him back in the tank with all the usual tricks of changing the decor etc, but he's not having it and still torpedos the other platy.

It's no wonder so many people give up in the first year - it's such a steep learning curve.

Anyway - this is a web-site I've come to rely on, and the forum seems small, yet polite, so I thought I's say hello.

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #90 on: December 17, 2012, 04:48:49 PM »
It sounds like you've had quite a start to fish keeping!

Guppies are quite prone to intestinal worms, though camallanus are the most common. What have you been using to treat the worms? Sera nematol is a recommended medication for intestinal worms.

Yes we are a small forum, I suspect it's being a .co.uk rather than a .com or even a .net website. It makes it easier for us to get to know each other  ;D

Offline ColinB

« Reply #91 on: December 17, 2012, 06:07:33 PM »
I'm using Chanaverm, which is a Levamisole Hydrochloride solution. It does Capillaria and Camillanus and seems to have done the trick, though one of my Platies was too far gone to respond. He came ready infested and, being new to all this, I didn't spot the warning signs quickly enough. He was my favourite, too!

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline Sue

« Reply #92 on: December 17, 2012, 07:09:24 PM »
I've not come across that med before. I know about Sera nematol and wormer plus but that's all. Off to have a google.....

......found it. I'll make a note of that, thanks.

Offline jjthefridge

« Reply #93 on: December 17, 2012, 10:22:33 PM »
Hi,

Got tank 2004 ish, then big corner aqua one ufo, split with ex(four years back) she kept tank apparently she helped pay£25, tank was £500.

Karen got birthday present(aqua one ufo 550 £300 new, £75 on ebay and all works) Been running for 4 weeks now, 6 neon tetra's and a sucker mouth ?????? don't know his proper name, get water checked weekly, providing its all ok, more fish after christmas, (grand kids love watching them)

You get different information from different shops so may be lots of questions

thanks

j.j.

Offline Sue

« Reply #94 on: December 18, 2012, 08:16:46 AM »
Hi, welcome to Thinkfish.

Ask away, the only silly question is the one you don't ask  ;D

Be careful with advice from shops. They have the reputation for giving bad advice, though some are worse than others.

Can I suggest you ID the suckermouth; some stay small, others are 2 foot monsters. If you can photograph the fish, post it on here and we'll do our best  :D

Offline kale23

« Reply #95 on: December 24, 2012, 05:18:51 PM »
hi everbody i used to keep tropical fish in the 1980s,in them days you did not have so much information on keeping fish as you do now,and you made a lot of mistakes,i used to lose a good few fish due to lack of knowledge,i have just retired now so decided to make it a new hobby,have just bought a new fish tank 200 litres,and planted it up with new live plants, and am going to leave for a few weeks,and doing a water test, before introducing any fish

Bleeding Heart Tetra (4) -

Offline Sue

« Reply #96 on: December 24, 2012, 06:38:53 PM »
Hi, welcome back to fishkeeping!

As you say, things have moved on a lot. If you have a lot of live plants, if you get them growing well you'll be in a good position to do a silent cycle. With this, once the plants are thriving, you stock very slowly and the plants keep the ammonia under control.

But don't forget that testing the water before getting fish will show it is perfect as there will have been no source of ammonia in there. If you get too many fish, or if the plants are growing well, the water tests won't be perfect very long.
Of course, you could always use the few weeks you intend waiting to do a fishless cycle.......... ;D

Offline kale23

« Reply #97 on: December 25, 2012, 08:03:34 AM »
hi sue thanks for your advice,will do what you suggest.

Bleeding Heart Tetra (4) -

Offline jesnon

« Reply #98 on: December 28, 2012, 06:13:44 PM »
Hello =) I'm entirely new to keeping fish, and after visiting my local garden centre and many months of obsessing over getting into it I've finally taken the plunge and got a tank for Christmas! I've always wanted to keep fish but never had, so I'm guessing this forum is going to be a massive help! Unfortunately I've only just discovered the fish I was planning to have seem to be too complicated for a beginner so I'm going to have to find some different fish to get once we're all set up now!

Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -

Offline Sue

« Reply #99 on: December 28, 2012, 06:38:24 PM »
Hi, and welcome to fishkeeping  :D

What fish were you originally thinking of? Maybe we can come up with something similar but easier.

And do you know about cycling the filter? There are two methods, with fish and without. There are two 'how to' threads in the Filtration and Cycling section, if you haven't already found them. They'll let you know what's involved with each method so you can decide which is the one you want to do.
If the garden centre told you all you have to do is set the tank up and add fish, maybe also adding a bottle of bacteria, don't believe them!

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Introduce yourself!"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
16 Replies
Last post August 26, 2018, 09:45:32 PM
by Matt
3 Replies
Last post November 12, 2018, 09:27:17 PM
by Matt
8 Replies
Last post November 12, 2018, 09:32:21 PM
by Matt
4 Replies
Last post January 23, 2019, 06:43:10 AM
by Matt
2 Replies
Last post August 08, 2019, 09:10:31 PM
by Littlefish
7 Replies
Last post February 13, 2021, 05:24:28 PM
by Mussoda
0 Replies
Last post July 08, 2021, 01:00:58 AM
by Robert

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: