Author Topic: Introduce yourself!  (Read 213521 times) 715 replies

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Introduce yourself!
« Reply #640 on: June 13, 2016, 10:26:56 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Great tank and nice pictures.  ;D

Paddy, if you didn't have any brightly-coloured ornaments in your tank we all would have missed out on the pictured of Olaf and the malaysian trumpet snail on his behind, and I for one am very glad we saw that.  :rotfl:

Ah yes... One for the family album I think   :rotfl:

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #641 on: June 13, 2016, 11:17:12 PM »
Hello Somethingfishy and welcome  :wave:

To be honest I'm saddened by the PFK forum closure, I wasn't a member it was a good alternative source of information. I hope you find a good home here  :)

ps: the Olaf trumpet snail incident was a triumph in irreverent photography and one I'll cherish  :afro

Offline ColinB

« Reply #642 on: June 14, 2016, 07:27:31 AM »
Great piccies - thanks.

I tried to get a few piccies of my tank yesterday, but the camera battery was flat. As I haven't charged the battery since we moved house there followed a long drawn out search for the charger, by which time I'd lost all enthusiasm for photography. *sigh*

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • aka Donna
« Reply #643 on: June 14, 2016, 12:02:54 PM »
Without wishing to sound like a numpty, but can any of you "old timers"/experienced fishy peeps help to identify the fish in Mark's first picture on page 31 (I think). Thanks.

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #644 on: June 14, 2016, 12:37:08 PM »
Without wishing to sound like a numpty, but can any of you "old timers"/experienced fishy peeps help to identify the fish in Mark's first picture on page 31 (I think). Thanks.

This guy?

In fear of sounding like a numpty myself... Maybe an Albino Red Tail shark or something like that? Can you even get those???

{Hides behind couch}

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #645 on: June 14, 2016, 12:38:33 PM »
That's the fella.

Offline Sue

« Reply #646 on: June 14, 2016, 12:50:33 PM »
It's not an oddball (he said so). It's big. There are several in his tank.

Which means I don't know as I haven't a clue about most big fish. But it has a sort of barb appearance to it.......

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #647 on: June 14, 2016, 01:51:16 PM »
I'm guessing that the odd thing about it is that it doesn't normally have spots.

After a rummage around YouTube, following the links that Mark posted, being distracted by all the ones about the black ghost (which was awesome), and finally coming across one titled "Barbs and lettuce" <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRnzMFaUWiI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRnzMFaUWiI</a>
where a pair of the fish in question make an appearance.
Clip says it contains the following fish "Lemon Fin Barbs/Diamond Barb/Diamond Shark (Hypsibarbus wetmorei)", so I had a look at them and couldn't find any with spots on.
However, did find a link to the PFK forum archive where there was a discussion about lemon fin barbs being sold to people as diamond sharks, so I think Paddy can come out from behind the sofa because barb or shark even more experienced people were being mis-sold one as the other (didn't think it could be an albino with spots though).

That's as far as I've got because I keep getting distracted by other fish.

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #648 on: June 14, 2016, 08:43:26 PM »
Hmmm - pic looks different on mobile .v. laptop. Semi-tempted to dig out my old fish mags to help identify the fish - but that would be cheating!

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #649 on: June 14, 2016, 08:48:26 PM »
That's not cheating, that's research. 

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #650 on: June 14, 2016, 08:50:29 PM »
That's not cheating, that's research.

You're dying to know what it is, aren't you?  :P

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #651 on: June 14, 2016, 09:08:19 PM »
But it has a sort of barb appearance to it.......

The two spot orange tailed barb?  ::)

Offline fcmf

« Reply #652 on: June 14, 2016, 09:14:15 PM »
75% of the way through the "research" (thanks, LF!) and not looking too optimistic that I'm going to get the answer... I think Fiona O'M's suggestion sounds good, though.

OK - last mag. The markings bear a resemblance to a pic of a Narayan barb, Pethia setnai - but the dorsal fin of it is orange-coloured (not the tail), the body looks deeper, and, come to think of it, those markings aren't quite in the same location. Hmmm - that's not it, and the barb in the pic looks less shark-like...

Edited to add: after lots of googling as well, it's most uncharacteristic of me but I'm on the verge of giving up due to being well-and-truly stumped...

Offline Sue

« Reply #653 on: June 14, 2016, 09:17:33 PM »
Got it!

In his post, member Hampalong said "I'll let you guess what it is".

That was a huge clue.

When you all give up, I'll tell you what it is and how I found out  ;D

(it did involve a bit of 'cheating')

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #654 on: June 14, 2016, 09:21:14 PM »
Man, it's like a fishy cryptic crossword puzzle now...  :vcross:

Offline Mascol

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Newish fish keeper
« Reply #655 on: June 14, 2016, 09:33:57 PM »
Hi there,

I've been lurking on fishy forums for a while (like some sinister presence!) but never became a member until very recently. This forum has a great and active feel to it, and lots of very helpful peeps, so it seemed the obvious choice!  :wave:

In terms of fishy history, my dad always kept tropical fish. For years we had a big five foot long tank that he had siliconed himself and built into a wall unit that separated the kitchen and dining room. We'd have dinner and watch the tiger barbs, plates, swordtails and kissing gouramis swim by. It was great, as well as very peaceful  ;D

Fast forward to the mid nineties when I was commuting 2 hours a day to and from a very busy job in London, whilst simultaneously doing a 2-year post graduate university degree. This was all very stressful, so I decided that having some fishes to look at would be wonderfully relaxing and help me unwind. So off I went to this little lfs in Kingston-upon-Thames run by a slightly eccentric lady with large glasses. She obviously loved fishes but she did sell me a small tank (probably no more than 45L) and six (yes six... I know  :-[) goldfish to put in it. The internet not being what it is today, and never having had goldfish (my dad only ever had tropical fish), I was alarmed to find that these goldfish just kept growing! And making a mess!

Eventually I took 4 back to the LFS. Some time after that two very thoughtful friends gave me a larger 90L fish tank as a wedding present and the remaining 2 goldfish moved into that. They were with me for several more years, but then my husband and I decided to have fry of our own, and the aquarium was shelved for several years.... until 3 years ago when son number one all of a sudden asked about having a goldfish.

I started by looking at small tanks that would fit in his room, but soon decided that it was much easier to keep a bigger tank downstairs - the larger the body of water, the more stable the environment, etc. I then remember my old 90L in the garage, so got that out, dusted it off, plugged it all in and hey presto, the old Eheim Classic 2213 was still up to the job :-) My son had asked for a goldfish but, well, I really fancied having tropical fish instead. In short, and you may not be surprised to hear this, the aquarium that was originally was going to be 'for my son' is now and in fact always has been entirely mine, mine, ALL MINE.

The aquarium was cycled without fish, although sadly there were some casualties due to incorrect advice from a large and supposedly reputable LFS not far from us (not the lady with the glasses)  :'( There were still some ups and downs but eventually I established a nice mature tank with generally healthy fish.

Last summer there was a small incident with the aquarium whilst we were away on holiday, involving an open top aquarium, a spray bar that was tilted upwards and water being sprayed out of the tank once the water level dropped below the level of the spray bar... When we arrived home we found the aquarium containing only 20 centimetres of water and the carpet soaked with tank water! Suffice to say the carpet was ruined, but much more importantly all fish survived the ordeal.

However, it did make me think that perhaps it was time to upgrade my tank (of an obscure German make MP Aquarien). After all it was getting on a bit (nearly 15 years old) and the cabinet has the worst design of any cabinet ever designed. And of course it made perfect sense to go for a BIGGER tank :-)

So now I have just set up a lovely Fluval Roma 240 (as well as new carpet in the lounge). Unfortunately I seem to have made a little bit of a hash of the whole tank-move/cycling thing. Also, whilst I have done lots of research on which fish make good community fish, I've only recently realised that our local tap water is a hugely important factor. As a result much of my stock is not really right for my tank :-( Thirdly, I'm hoping to get some rainbow fish soonish and am hoping for some expertise in that area here on ThinkFish. To avoid clogging up this thread, I'll be posting about my many issues (and that's before I've even started on my fish tank....) in the appropriate places.

/wave

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Platy (4) - Platy (10) - Bristlenose Plec (1) - Cardinal Tetra (8) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Congo Tetra (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #656 on: June 14, 2016, 09:40:18 PM »
Hi Mascol, welcome to the forum  :wave:

You've had quite a journey to get here  :)

Ask any questions you want, one of us will probably be able to help.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #657 on: June 14, 2016, 09:45:51 PM »
You're very welcome, Mascol! :wave:

I've thoroughly enjoyed reading your "intro" and particularly chuckled at your comment about the old tank being "mine, mine, ALL MINE". Looking forward to being able to help you out if I can in due course and to read about what fish you ultimately opt to have in that lovely tank.

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #658 on: June 14, 2016, 09:47:48 PM »
Welcome, along, Mascol!!

Loved your background tale, very descriptive and funny  ;D

Looking forward to hearing what you have in the tank(s) at the moment and there's no doubt you'll get any and probably all the assistance you might need on here. It's great to have you  :cheers:

#picsoritdidnthappen

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #659 on: June 14, 2016, 09:49:28 PM »
Hi Mascol and welcome to the forum.  :wave:
So glad you decided to join us. I am all for the "mine, all mine" sentiment when setting up a tank (or two) currently have several Fluval Romas of varying sizes scattered around my living/dining room, along with some smaller tanks. I am very impressed with your fish surviving the holiday/spray bar incident.
Best of luck with your tank and we look forward to trying to help with any questions you have.  ;D

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Introduce yourself!"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
16 Replies
Last post August 26, 2018, 09:45:32 PM
by Matt
3 Replies
Last post November 12, 2018, 09:27:17 PM
by Matt
8 Replies
Last post November 12, 2018, 09:32:21 PM
by Matt
4 Replies
Last post January 23, 2019, 06:43:10 AM
by Matt
2 Replies
Last post August 08, 2019, 09:10:31 PM
by Littlefish
7 Replies
Last post February 13, 2021, 05:24:28 PM
by Mussoda
0 Replies
Last post July 08, 2021, 01:00:58 AM
by Robert

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: