Author Topic: Introduce yourself!  (Read 213583 times) 715 replies

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • aka Donna
Re: Introduce yourself!
« Reply #540 on: February 26, 2016, 09:00:48 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi Apache and Paddy. I'm also new to this and got a couple of starter tanks last October. I have become quite addicted and now have 3 tanks up and running, with another 4 being cycled. I think I may have got a bit carried away.
Good luck to all newbies, I think that we are in good hands with the knowledge and experience we have available to us here.
 :)

Offline Sue

« Reply #541 on: February 26, 2016, 09:03:22 PM »
Paddy, just a heads up about mollies and neons.

Mollies really do need hard water and a high pH or they get something called the shimmies. Neons do much better in soft acid water. They are not compatible.
But on the bright side, you do have a while to decide. I'm currently on day 44 of a fishless cycle........

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #542 on: February 26, 2016, 09:23:05 PM »
Paddy, just a heads up about mollies and neons.

Mollies really do need hard water and a high pH or they get something called the shimmies. Neons do much better in soft acid water. They are not compatible.
But on the bright side, you do have a while to decide. I'm currently on day 44 of a fishless cycle........

Dear god I pray I don't have quite so long to wait for my environment to stabilise. I am the patient one in the house but the girls will be pestering me to get the fishies in!

Regarding mollies, I have learned tonight after having a play with the community creator that they aren't compatible. Sticking to the rules on it, I have decided to leave Mollies alone for now. I'm having an issue logging in to the community creator so cannot save just now and need to get to bed but for the sake of passing on what I have initially looked at (subject to change obviously) and recording the species so I don't forget...

Zebra Danio x4
Dwarf plec (x1 initially maybe adding another plec of same/similar species)
Rosy Barb x4
Dwarf rainbowfish x4

I await any heads-up and advice, as I say I will undoubtedly tailor this shopping list as the weeks go on during the cycle.

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #543 on: February 26, 2016, 09:23:53 PM »
Hi Apache and Paddy. I'm also new to this and got a couple of starter tanks last October. I have become quite addicted and now have 3 tanks up and running, with another 4 being cycled. I think I may have got a bit carried away.
Good luck to all newbies, I think that we are in good hands with the knowledge and experience we have available to us here.
 :)

Wow you have been busy! Get some pics up!!?? Yes we seem to be in very good hands  :) :)

Offline Sue

« Reply #544 on: February 26, 2016, 09:33:14 PM »
You could speed things up by using Tetra Safe Start, though it is not guaranteed to work (if it's been kept too hot or too cold since manufacture that would degrade the product). It will tell you how to use it with fish but just use ammonia and pretend it's fish.

It is one of just a couple of bottled bacteria products that actually have the right species of nitrite eaters, the rest have the wrong species. The other one is rarely available outside America.

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #545 on: February 27, 2016, 05:49:30 AM »
Sue, thank you for that tip... Am I right in saying that the potential effect of using it is either going to be positive or simply will have no effect? Will it potentially upset my cycle if the product has degraded in getting to my home?

Offline Sue

« Reply #546 on: February 27, 2016, 10:05:46 AM »
It is one of those things that will either work or it won't. I won't do any harm.

But Tetra Safe Start and nothing else. The others may help with growing the ammonia eaters but usually do nothing for the nitrite eaters. Don't let a shop persuade you to get anything else.

Or, do you know anyone who has a tank? And the filter that comes with the tank you are getting - how long since it has been used? If it has been used till fairly recently and has not been cleaned, don't clean it. The filter bacteria go dormant before they die and any left alive in the filter will help.

Offline blackrat89

• Tropical Fish Forum User
« Reply #547 on: February 27, 2016, 11:12:57 AM »
Hello all ,just thought I would introduce myself. I am retired and have lived here in Spain for the past 7 years . I have always had an interest in Tropicals and now being retired I can spend some time on the hobby. I have a new 115 ltr tank having had to replace my old 80 ltr due to age and suspect leakage. I managed to seed my new filter from my old filter and after some 6 weeks now have a fully cycled tank with some new fish and a few of the old timers that survived my previous tank .The new tank came with an internal Cartridge (Interpet CF2)type filter recommended for only 80 t0 100 lte tank so I  added my old fluval 3plus internal  filter .(will this be enough to manage my slightly overstocked tank) .I have just set up a pressurised Co2 system and plants have taken off really well.  I could not bring myself to replace my old favourites with new fish , that's why I have a few singles in my tank. I find the website and forum pages extremely informative and look forward to keeping in touch . signed Blackrat . ( from my old job ) . 

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Boeseman's Rainbowfish (4) - Clown Loach (2) - Zebra Loach (1) - Cardinal Tetra (1) - Three Spot Gourami (2) - Black Molly (1) - Swordtail (male) (1) - Swordtail (female) (3) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #548 on: February 27, 2016, 12:08:08 PM »
Hi Blackrat  :wave:

Well done for seeding the new tank from the old filter.
I too have several old fish, left overs of shoals. I don't get rid of them just because they are old. Although there aren't really enough of them, and I don't want to get any more, they seem to do well in their small numbers.

Goggling the Interpet cf2, it says for 68 to 90 litre tanks with a flow rate of 480 litres per hour - divide by 5 gives 96, so that's the max size tank. So yes, good that you used the other filter as well.
The Fluval 3 plus has a flow rate of 700 litres per hour so that is quite capable of filtering your tank by itself. In my opinion it is also the better filter - I don't like those like the Interpet one that use just carbon filled cartridges. Sponges are a much better medium.

Offline apache6467

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Catfish Enthusiast
« Reply #549 on: February 27, 2016, 01:09:05 PM »
 :wave: hi blackrat and littlefish!
Good look in your fish keeping!

Apache6467

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #550 on: February 27, 2016, 01:14:50 PM »
Or, do you know anyone who has a tank? And the filter that comes with the tank you are getting - how long since it has been used? If it has been used till fairly recently and has not been cleaned, don't clean it. The filter bacteria go dormant before they die and any left alive in the filter will help.

Yes, I know someone with a tank.

The filter has gone unused for some time, so no hope of any bacteria survival.

Welcome, Blackrat!

Offline Sue

« Reply #551 on: February 27, 2016, 01:22:56 PM »
If that person who has the tank would be willing to swap some media with you, that would kick start your cycle very nicely.

If he is willing, take some media from his filter - up to a third is safe - and buy him some nice new replacement media of his choice. Do this once you are ready to start cycling. Treat his media like a fish - transport it in a bag of tank water and get it into your filter as soon as possible. Remove some media from your filter and pack bits of the removed media round the donated media to fill any gaps. You can cut up sponges to make them fit snuggly.
Then add your first dose of ammonia.

It's getting the cycle started that's the slow bit. We have to rely on those few bacteria the water company hasn't managed to kill. Adding some bacteria that are well settled into the biofilm on the donated media gets things off to a flying start.

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #552 on: February 27, 2016, 04:33:28 PM »
If I can do this, I will... Sounds like a great way to get the good bacteria started  :)

Offline deackie

• Tropical Fish Forum User
« Reply #553 on: February 27, 2016, 08:51:55 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Hi All

I'm new to this forum and new to the hobby. I tried keeping tropical fish 20 years ago and did very badly. I realise now the high mortality rate was due to inappropriate stocking and poor water quality. At the time I put it down to disease. Thankfully this time around there has been an abundance of information and advice on the Internet.

I set my 90 litre tank up 4 months ago. Dimensions 72cm x 30 cm x i3 x 40cm. It's planted. I've used trial and error in plant choice. I've probably lost as many as have thrived.

I currently have:
10 rosy tetras
2 peppered corys
2 bronze corys
1 (accidental) black phantom

I realise the corys need a larger number of the same species. I don't want to overload the biological filter, and only added 6/11 rosies today. My plan is to get 2 more bronze and peppered corys in a month, and another 2 of each the following month.

I am contemplating asking the shop to exchange the black phantom they supplied me with accidentally.

In a few more months I will consider how to complete the stock of my community tank.

At the moment I'm enjoying the fish I have, being careful not to rush stocking, reading lots posted by others, I and worrying I'll do something wrong.

I am pleased to join you all.

Regards
deackie

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #554 on: February 27, 2016, 08:57:37 PM »
Welcome along deackie  ;)

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #555 on: February 27, 2016, 09:02:03 PM »
Hi deackie  :wave:
Quite a few of us newbies have joined recently and it's good to see another.

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #556 on: February 27, 2016, 10:57:31 PM »
Welcome aboard, both Blackrat and Deackie.  :wave:  Really interesting to read of your experiences so far and look forward to reading more as they progress.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #557 on: February 28, 2016, 05:15:24 PM »
Hello everyone, I am a regular forum reader and have just joined so I may contribute too.

I kept goldfish as a kid with limited success with any of the fancy species, ending up with a single goldfish which is still going strong living with my parents. I made many mistakes, cleaning the filter sponge with hot chlorinated water (my logic being that it was dirty and therefore needed cleaning), I didn't know about gravel vacs and so removed the fish every other week and put them in the bathroom sink whilst I powerwashed the entire tank (again a one man mission to remove 'dirt').  This ultimately ended up with me pressure washing out the sealant and a leaky tank - this is one thing I did do correctly - an aquarium safe silicone was used successfully and again the repair remains to this day.

Last year I set up a tropical tank and needless to say thanks to the use of this website, I have learnt from my mistakes and I currently have a slightly overstocked 65ltr tank (see signature for stocking) which I have recently aquascaped with an 'amazon jungle' theme (wood, rock and live plants) and I am incredibly proud of and everyone is very healthy, despite my other passion for long haul travel(!). I'm currently hoping my german blue rams will breed, they are showing all the right signs but have a love hate relationship and they have only attempted this once before but were not successful in managing not to eat their own eggs!

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #558 on: February 28, 2016, 06:27:21 PM »
Welcome, Matt  :wave:

Glad to have someone else on the forum who is / has been a goldfish owner. Hope the goldfish continues to live on for many more years. Your tropical tank sounds similar to the sort of fish I have / am interested in, so I'll read your updates with particular interest.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #559 on: February 28, 2016, 06:32:48 PM »
Hi Matt
 :wave:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Introduce yourself!"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
16 Replies
Last post August 26, 2018, 09:45:32 PM
by Matt
3 Replies
Last post November 12, 2018, 09:27:17 PM
by Matt
8 Replies
Last post November 12, 2018, 09:32:21 PM
by Matt
4 Replies
Last post January 23, 2019, 06:43:10 AM
by Matt
2 Replies
Last post August 08, 2019, 09:10:31 PM
by Littlefish
7 Replies
Last post February 13, 2021, 05:24:28 PM
by Mussoda
0 Replies
Last post July 08, 2021, 01:00:58 AM
by Robert

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: